Monday, July 11, 2016

Vacation 2016 (With the Ranch Cousins, as Lincoln says)

We headed out for our summer vacation on Saturday. We didn’t head out too early because I knew there was no need to get to the hotel too early. It was nice to not have to rush out. I was able to get a couple loads of laundry done and run the dishwasher while I packed up the car. I packed the inside of the car while Andrew did the top and put the bikes on the back. We headed out around 10:30 with the rain just starting and we drove almost the whole way through Missouri in rain. I was very grateful Andrew was driving and I wasn’t because the rain makes me so nervous.


To distract myself, I reconciled bank accounts for the office and designed Lincoln’s birthday invitation for part of the time. The kids did pretty well. We have definitely turned a corner in that department and things are a little easier with all of them. We didn’t stop until Sikeston where we had hoped to go the Lambert’s for a very early dinner at 3:45 but it was packed with a 2 hour wait. So we ended up just down the street at a Mexican restaurant that had good reviews. We were a little sad at first that we didn’t get Lambert’s but they all loved their food. And then thankfully the rest of our trip to Tupelo was pretty uneventful. We got to our hotel around 8 and I think we lucked out with a newer Hampton Inn. The kids were very impressed with our room-they said it was like a mansion. I was going to get two rooms but decided to get just one suite that had two beds and a sleeper sofa and put the twins on the floor in sleeping bags. Thankfully it was a pretty good sized room and we all fit pretty comfortably. But the kids were wound up so we headed out to get ice cream at a Baskin Robbins. I don’t think the kids had ever been to one and they liked it. I introduced them to my old favorite from our Lake of the Ozark vacation days as a kid-pink bubble gum and daiquiri ice J.
The next morning, I got up early and went to the Wal-Mart near our hotel and got all of our cold stuff and perishable food items I wasn’t able to get earlier. I got a bag of ice and put in ziplock bags in our cooler just hoping it would all stay cold until we got into our house eight hours later. Back at the hotel we ate breakfast and got on the road. The rest of our drive was pretty good. The traffic got busier as we got closer to Gulf Shores but we got to our house right at four which is the earliest we could get in it. We were the first ones there and once we figured out how to get in, the kids were so excited to explore. It was a beautiful, spacious house. I quickly went to work putting away all of our cold stuff and the rest of the groceries. Once the rest of the family showed up, they divided up the rooms and we started putting stuff away. We just ordered pizza that evening and let the kids go to the beach.












We had a great week at the beach with wonderful weather. It was pretty warm and humid-the heat index would be at 100 by nine in the morning-but we did have a decent breeze down at the beach. The warm weather meant getting out early to bike or run. Andrew biked several days and I ran a few and biked a couple days. When we headed out for our second ride of the week, we got rained on just about 3.5 miles down the road. It started pouring so we pulled into the parking lot of a convenience store (the Sassy Bass to be correct J) and waited under the eaves until it slowed down a bit. Andrew looked at the radar and saw there was more coming so we headed back to the house. It was fun to have the different views while riding though…the ocean, beach houses and even a crab on the side of the road.

We celebrated Fourth of July our second day down there. We spent all day at the beach and then I made dinner. I made and froze chicken taquitos and taco filling before we came. I had to make some rice for a side dish and it took me a while to figure out the gas stove. I had never cooked on gas and it took forever to boil a small pot of water. Since we were having Mexican on the 4th, I got some 4th of July plates and napkins. And after dinner we went down to the beach to do sparklers and watch the fireworks. The wind was blowing so the sparklers didn’t work and we had to be content with glow sticks. A resort down the beach from us had a fun fireworks display that we had a great view of sitting on the beach.




The kids had so much fun at the beach and the pool all week. Sometimes it took some prodding, but then they got creative. They built dams and mountains, the beach was their big sandbox. They loved boogie boarding and jumping the waves. The twins and Savannah became so brave and had so much fun jumping the waves together. There were games of bocce ball and football, swim races, lots of collecting seashells (Ellie’s favorite activity-she actually found two sand dollars and both of them broke before we could get them home) and fishing out the occasional jellyfish. And, of course, we went through lots of snacks and 80 juice boxes. And Andrew even took the kids up in the afternoon when they were done with the beach and I got to sit under the umbrella (we had to bring our own this year and I was thankful our house was so close to the beach J) and read. I could have stayed down there for hours-late afternoons/evening at the beach are the best.




































The house Andrew’s parents rented for us was beautiful with lots of space for us to spread out. So the kids had fun with that too. The played all over the house acting like dogs and cats, going on adventures with lava,etc. Mary got the girls some neat coloring books that they spent some time working on out on one of the balconies and she painted their nails for them.



We all took turns making dinner in the evenings and made the trek into town to eat at Lamberts for lunch one day. Andrew’s parents got to sit at one table with the nine oldest kids and they all had fun catching their rolls. Then his parents gave us money to buy the kids some clothes for school so we did a little shopping. Ellie was super excited while it was Andrew and Jackson’s worst nightmare J. I’m not a big shopper either, but it was very nice of Tom and Mary to do that for us, so Ellie and I got some quick shopping time in while most the boys waited in the car. Lincoln did want to come with us though and was excited to pick up a Star Wars wallet.

The morning our bike ride got rained out, it cleared up so we decided to do a quick tour of Fort Morgan. There was a guided tour going on when we got there, so we skirted around it and just went looking around on our own. I think the kids had fun exploring it all. But it was steamy so we didn’t stick around too long.
We spent some evenings walking along the beach, there was a bit of crab hunting and we finally got a night for the sparklers. It still took a while to light them, so Andrew would try to do several at once and they were quickly gone.









We also did some family pictures the night before Annie and Brad had to leave. They left a couple days earlier than the rest of us since Brad had to get back for church.








Our second to last night there, our little family went over to the Beach Club to check out their new Village Lawn. They had food trucks set up along with various yard games. We fed the kids before we went since I knew they wouldn’t be too crazy about the food at the food trucks and Andrew and I enjoyed some panini sandwiches. The kids got to play in the bounce house and try out a few of the games including an oversized checker board. We got some ice cream and then the real party started. Instead of the live music like they usually have, they had a DJ and did a foam party. The twins both wanted to try it out at different times but then they both ended up scared and didn’t like it at all. It was a fun little outing though.




But soon it was time to pack up and head home.  We were so grateful to Andrew’s parents for getting the house for us for the week. The kids weren’t quite ready to head home except they were missing Buddy. Zach watched him while we were gone and I’m sure he was wondering where the heck we were. We left around 5:30 Sunday morning and had a few more stops than we were hoping but still made the trip in less than 15 hours and got home around 8:30. Andrew was the first to get to Buddy and he was excited to see everyone. The Vincents came down soon after we got home and Leah let us know that they had a bit of trouble. They were going to take him with them to a cabin outside of Edina for a few days while they went fishing. But I guess Buddy really didn’t like Leah’s dad and would not get in the car or cage for them. After trying for a while, Leah asked the LaBeths if they were going to be around so they watched him for a couple days too. Tiffany said she has found a new friend in Buddy J.


We visited for a bit and then we got the car unloaded. Andrew did baths while I went to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things. Then I stayed up late starting the unpacking process and was very ready for bed.

No comments: