Sunday, March 6, 2016

Feeling Somewhat Like Spring

This past Monday the kids didn’t have school…again. They get several of these teacher work days this school year. Lincoln and the twins were the first up. He has formed this “club” with them so they love to follow him around. Part of the club is that he has created Minecraft worlds for them on their Kindles complete with a blue Bennett do and a green Miles dog. There are several rules for their club too including no crying but I think Lincoln breaks that rule sometimes. He even had them help put away his laundry if they wanted to stay in the club-he is kind of a manipulator J.  But Lincoln did redeem himself later in the morning when he cleaned up the whole basement by himself without me even asking. Most of the rest of the day the kids play outside. Ellie, Jackson and I played some basketball and I started to worry about my ability to coach my own kids. The twins finally took their bikes outside and had lots of fun. The down side is that they can’t come inside anymore. And they were able to talk Ellie into getting their four-wheelers out for them.


Andrew came home early from work so I could go out for a ride. I tried to get several hills in for my TriZou training but the wind held me back a bit. When I got back I went out for a 1.5 mile run. It was my first run outdoors since my accident so I just wanted to do a little test run. My legs felt like bricks. I will definitely need to run outside more before my races. The only problem is I get shin splints when I run outside. When I got back Andrew was outside playing ball with Jackson while Bennett was riding his four wheeler around. Miles was inside with an ice bag on his thumb because Lincoln slammed it in the front door. When I got into the house, he was out. I didn’t put them down for naps, so he was tired. Andrew went for a ride when I got home and he underestimated how early it would start getting dark. Thankfully he made it back safely and had a really fast ride too.

Tuesday morning came early as Andrew woke me up around 4:15 to let me know that Miles had thrown up upstairs. It looked like he thought about getting to the bathroom and threw up in the hall- a lovely Cheezit orange color.  Andrew got Miles in the bath while I started cleaning up the mess. Then I got Miles set up down in our bathroom while Andrew finished the cleaning. Then Andrew went to the office while I went ahead and started my day with a bike ride. Miles fell asleep after a while and seemed to be better. Thankfully Andrew was able to stay at home because I had a hair appointment which doesn’t happen very often. I took the kids to school, dropped off some stuff at the K-Life house and then went to Hy-Vee to get some fluids. I ran by home to drop that off and change the laundry quickly before my appointment and noticed Bennett was still asleep. Andrew got him up and he said he wasn’t feeling well either. He tried to throw up but wasn’t able to. When I got back from my hair appointment a couple hours later, he was out cold on the rug in the bathroom upstairs while Miles was up playing on his Kindle. I eventually set them both up in our bathroom and they stayed in there most of the day drinking Sprite, playing on their Kindles and sleeping.  


Miles was definitely feeling better by evening but Bennett was still a little wimpy, so I decided to not send them to school the next day.  We also ended up calling off small group earlier that day because I didn’t want to risk getting others sick and wanted to give everyone enough head’s up to adjust their schedules. That first night I had them sleep in my room. Lincoln said he was scared to sleep in the room by himself and started crying, so I gave him a few options. He ended up sleeping on the floor in Jackson’s room and I told him he had to be quiet.  The next morning he came down and excitedly told me that he didn’t say a word all night and that he was distracted by Jackson’s clock that projected the time on the ceiling J.  The twins were perfectly fine the next day and enjoyed getting to spend the day at home.

With the warmer weather (which turned cold again for several days) I decided it was time to go through the closets again. I pulled out short sleeve shirts that I decided would probably be too small, went through shorts, went through the boxes of old boy clothes for Lincoln and the twins, swapped it all out and then went through all of the summer clothes I had bought on clearance months ago, washed it all and got those put away too.

The twins weren’t excited to go back to school on Thursday. Miles said that school made him sick. But I made them go and they had fun. I got a swim and run in before I picked them back up.  Andrew went out to the ranch to do some work Thursday afternoon and then went for a bike ride. Jackson and Ellie had Little K so we just had to pick up Lincoln from school and then we ran some stuff by the thrift store. I had to get dinner ready so Ellie could eat as soon as we picked her up from K-Life and then I took her to dance. Jackson got busy working on a big report he had for school. He worked on it all evening and was finally done around 9:30. The nice thing about how they do their reports is that he can just log into his school Google account and work on it and doesn’t have to even print it off.

The twins were excited to hear they didn’t have to go to school on Friday. I had signed up to provide a meal for two families (they were two brothers close to Andrew and I’s age and their families-one family had just lost their baby at 32 weeks and the other brother had recently been diagnosed with cancer and his mother-in-law is living with them while she recovers from injuries sustained during a bad car accident several months ago) and they had requested that they be dropped off at the family business around 3. I figured I might as well do them both at the same time and just double up on everything with a little left over for our family to have for dinner. So I worked on that and got it all packaged up and then we picked up the kids from school before dropping the meals off.

We didn’t have anything planned on Saturday which is the first time in a long time. Andrew was anxious to take the kids out to the ranch. They had fun coloring sea shells, exploring and riding on the four wheeler.


I stayed home and started my morning with a 7 mile run. I think things are finally starting to feel better from my accident. I wasn’t experiencing the pain I had been until closer to 6 miles so that was encouraging. Then it was time to get some office work done and work on dessert for dinner that night. When the kids and Andrew got home the kids enjoyed some time outside. Andrew got a bike ride in and then played catch with Jackson while Ellie and her friends cleaned Faith’s swing set.



That night we had Andrew’s family in for dinner. After the kids ate, they spent the rest of the evening playing in the basement while the adults just visited around the table. Sunday was a lot like Saturday except we substituted church for the ranch. Then I went grocery shopping and Andrew went on another bike ride. I did more office work and prepped dinner while the kids spent a lot of time outside after looking through some of our blog books.


Andrew had them all clean their bikes and he aired up tires. I guess he aired Lincoln’s up a little too much and it exploded. So his bike is out of commission for the moment. Andrew and Ellie played catch and then I saw them just lying out on the basketball court like this. Ellie loves snuggling with her dad.




Jackson helped me bring up the patio furniture and we even enjoyed our steak dinner outside and it was a delicious way to end the weekend. 

No comments: