Sunday, March 20, 2016

St. Patrick's Day & A Fun Girls Weekend

Monday was back to school for the three oldest. We weren’t that great at getting up on time either but they made it to school in more than enough time. The twins and I hung out at home-they played with their trains and Kindles while I did a bike/run workout. I also got our Easter/spring decorations out and put away all the winter ones. After a dreary and foggy morning, the sun came out and it was a beautiful day to get in the mood for spring. The twins weren’t very excited to go back to school the next day after being out for so long. Miles said school makes him sick. They were fine once we got there though and when I got home, I noticed on the papers that I just brought home from school that Bennett was supposed to bring snacks that day. So I just pulled right back out of the garage, made a quick trip to Hy-Vee and dropped the snacks off at the school.

Caroline got into town on Tuesday but since I had to take Ellie to gymnastics that night we didn’t get to see her until Wednesday. I got most of my cleaning and prep done for small group earlier and then the twins and I went over to my parents’ house after lunch and hung out for a bit. Then I picked up the other kids from school and brought them over for a little while before we had to head home. On our way home, we stopped by the TCC and picked up our race numbers for the St. Patrick’s Day 5K which was the next day. We started up small group again that night after a couple weeks off. We started a new series called Follow which I am hoping will be good. Our first discussion was a little stilted but hopefully it will get better.

Thursday was St. Patrick’s Day and the leprechauns visited at some point in the night, messed up the family room and left a few treats for the kids.





The rest of the day I was busy getting stuff ready for our girls’ weekend in Branson. I made some cookies and peanut butter bars to bring with us. Then I also made a big batch of spaghetti sauce-some to have for dinner Sunday night when I got home and some to freeze for later. Our afternoon and evening were pretty busy. Jackson and Ellie had K-life so I just had to pick up Lincoln from school. Andrew went for a bike ride and then he picked up Jackson and Ellie a little early so they could get ready for the race. Ellie was so nervous (her ribs/abs had been hurting a bit) while Jackson said he was a little nervous but okay. I usually get really nervous before a race but since I was running with Ellie, I knew I wouldn’t be feeling the pressure to run fast and didn’t feel nervous at all. I took Jackson and Ellie and got up there a little before the race while Andrew brought the younger three a little later. Jackson saw some boys from his grade and one of them was joking around telling Jackson he would be waiting for him at the finish line. Jackson kind of took it as a challenge and decided he was going to beat him J. When it was time for the race to start, we all got lined up, the old guy shot off the canon with his cigar and we were off. Ellie took off much faster than I thought she would and was weaving in and out while I followed her. Jackson was a little ahead of us and eventually I couldn’t see him anymore. Ellie and I finished our first mile in just over an 8 minute pace but then she was beat. I guess she didn’t learn the whole pacing part J. She was desperate to walk so I made her wait until a little after a mile before we first walked. Then we would run for a bit and she would want to walk again. I kept pushing her, cheering her on and would even drag her along every now and then but she didn’t quit. She picked up her pace when she could see the finish line and Andrew. Once we crossed the finish line, she grabbed a cup of water and went to sit down for a bit. I was so proud of both of them for doing a great job. Jackson actually finished with a time of 26:27 and Ellie and I were 30:37 and 30:38. We didn’t get to sit around much as we still had to eat dinner and get to Ellie’s music program. We ran home to quickly change and freshen up then went over to my parents. They had green pancakes for us that we ate quickly and then we all left for Ellie’s music program at her school.









The gym was already packed when we got there so we had to stand in the back. There were a few seats here and there but not enough for our group. Andrew’s mom came and my parents along with Kaitlin, Caroline and Molly. I am sure that is how they had planned on spending their evening, but it was nice of them to come. The program was pretty short-they sang a few songs and then Ellie was part of a group that played xylophones during one song. They also did a few Irish songs and had dancing leprechauns. Andrew took the kids and headed out to the car while they were finishing up the last song while I waited for Ellie and then we took a quick look at her art work which was a beautiful blue bird.



The next morning I got a bike ride in before I had to get ready to leave. While I was riding, Ellie came in complaining of her ankle hurting. She had talked about it hurting while we were running but I wasn’t sure if it actually was. I had her get a bag of frozen corn out of the freezer and she laid on my bed with her ankle elevated with the corn on it while I biked and we watched a rerun of Project Runway. Then I quickly got ready and made sure everyone else was ready to go. Andrew got back from the office at about the time he needed to take the kids to school and I waited for my ride to show up.

While I was gone for the weekend, Andrew had a good weekend with the kids. They went out to the ranch after school on Friday so that he and Jackson could move his cattle while the other kids had an Easter egg hunt at his parents’. He said they ended their day by doing the congo line to bed while listening to Lime in the Coconut. He made sure Ellie got to her dance classes and a birthday party the next day and then I got a text from him with a picture of them all at La Fuente for dinner.


Our weekend at Big Cedar was pretty low key. We all met up at one of the restaurants at Top of the Rock for lunch and then got to check into our cabins. We spent most of the weekend just chatting and eating all the snacks we brought. We thought we may play some games or something else but we never did. And it was pretty cold outside to do much outdoors. We did do some shopping but it was really just at Target and TJ Maxx along with a quick return at Kohl’s and that was it. We didn’t even go to the outlet malls. I think we all just liked not having anything to do and relaxing with each other for the weekend. We had a little shower for Caroline at one point-just a few decorations we put up, most of which were some my mom had made for Amanda’s birthday party a couple years ago. Kaitlin got a cake and my mom wrapped up pictures of the stroller and car seat we already got for them that had already been delivered to their apartment. Then we also couldn’t resist some cute little girl clothes.  Even though it went by pretty quickly, it was nice to get to hang out with everyone and I was thankful my mom got it all organized. And it was all so beautiful.












After breakfast at Devil’s Pool restaurant with everyone we got back to Kirksville around 2:30. Andrew and the kids had just gotten back from the ranch and were eating lunch. I was so impressed because they had cleaned the house. Andrew had the kids clean their rooms and they picked up around the house. They even started the dishwasher and a load of laundry. Andrew said they were all really good over the weekend and the older three brought home awesome report cards for third quarter. Ellie also decided to start learning Italian with Andrew’s Rosetta Stone. Andrew headed to the office for the rest of the afternoon while I unpacked, picked up some more around the house and start going through the mounds of laundry.



Later that afternoon we did some quick work of decorating eggs. Lincoln was at Alex’s so it was just the other four that did it. I got the fake eggs and decided to forgo the dipping dye since it doesn’t really work on them and went with some sponge painting dye and dye sticks that looked like q-tips with dye on them. I thought it worked pretty well.


No comments: