Jackson got some great presents and even though he didn't get a huskie or a laptop, he was still very pleased.
Since it was another beautiful evening, we decided to do the cake outside again but the wind kept us from lighting the candles. This is Jackson pretending to blow the candles out.
Andy told us about the Airzooka that can shoot a big gust of air at people and everyone had fun annoying each other with it.
Lincoln was just happy to be outside.
The night was pretty relaxing compared to a lot of our other birthday parties. 
Sunday, April 10, 2011
Jackson is 7!!!
Wow-it is hard to believe that our little boy is now seven. He has been so much fun to watch grow and learn. I love to watch him play with Ellie and Lincoln. I love to watch him and Andrew together-they are so much alike. I love when he gets excited about something and gives me hugs to show his appreciation. I love hearing him show that appreciation when he prays. I love having conversations with him and the way his mind works. Of course he can be ornery, but what boy isn't :-) But he can be such a loyal, caring, funny, fun-loving, endearing little (getting big) boy. We love him so much and were excited to celebrate his birthday with him this week. So on Thursday, it rained almost all day and Ellie was determined to go outside. It wasn't lightning, so I thought it would be okay. It was a little chilly, so Ellie put her winter coat on, her rain boots and got her umbrella. She just walked around the yard for a little bit and then she decided she wanted to ride her bike and scooter. She had me put her helmet on thinking it would shield her from the rain.
Thursday evening, Andrew and I had to go to the church to be interviewed for some video they are making. They gave us some questions ahead of time and as we were going over our answers for them, I started getting really nervous. I just don't do very well on video and I really feel it should be no surprise if the only clip of our interview they use is us just sitting there smiling. We also thought it would be okay to bring along the kids but then we soon discovered that it was not a good idea. They were filming in the sanctuary and they had it pitch black with just a spotlight on two chairs. So Lincoln wouldn't let me put him down and he didn't like sitting on my lap with the bright lights. Thankfully there was small group going on at the same time and some little girls there said they would watch him in the play place for a little bit. They were probably 10 and I didn't know them, but they seemed nice enough and it was only for about 15 minutes :-). I rushed back to get him at the interview and he was having a great time playing, so I was very thankful for those little girls. Friday was the beginning of Jackson's celebrations. I made cookies for him to bring to school since he isn't a big fan of cupcakes or cookies.
Caroline brought him home after school for me because I was preparing for his first friend party. She took him to DQ and he came home with a blizzard and his birthday crown on. Of course I had to get a picture of him with it on. I was so excited to get to use my chalkboard again-I love it.
The theme he wanted this year was Sonic the Hedgehog. We didn't get too crazy with the decorations and he was happy with what I did put up. He actually asked me right when I woke him up Friday morning if I had put up any decorations yet. I told him I had not because I was going to do it while he was at school and he said, "Did you even put up some balloons or something?"
We ended up having six boys all together at the party and this is what it looked like a lot of the time.
Molly took some pictures for me, so I am sure hers are much better but I am just working with mine right now. We did an obstacle course first and then opened some presents. It was nice outside so we ended up keeping the whole party outside too.
Then the boys wanted to do the pinata and we made the mistake of letting the third grader, Joey, hit second after Jackson. He smashed it open. The kids didn't seem to mind too much as they scrambled on the ground for the goodies, but we were hoping that would waste some time.
So then we had them play freeze tag for a while to kill some time and this cutie woke up from his nap and joined the party. And Molly, Caroline and my mom graciously helped out since Andrew couldn't be there until the end of the party.
Then we moved on to cake time, which was a cookie cake that we all enjoyed.
Jackson's actual birthday was Saturday and he got to spend part of the day playing basketball in the K-Life 3on3 tournament. I think his team was probably the youngest in their division (8 and under) and they were way out-matched. The whole 3on3 half-court play was all new to them as the only experience any of them had was one season of Yball in which they allow you to travel and double dribble a little. They also weren't used to the other team being able to steal the ball from them. They got to play three games and even though they were a little discouraged, they tried hard and didn't give up so we were very proud of them.
Zach was on their team too, but only got to play the first game because he was in a wedding later in the day.
In between games we took Jackson to La Fuente for lunch. He kept telling Andrew and I that we couldn't tell them it was his birthday, so we let my dad tell them. He was a tad embarrassed.
Lincoln loved the sombrero.
We got done with the games around 3:30 and Andrew headed back to work, Lincoln went down for a nap and Jackson, Ellie and I went outside to play. They even went on a neighbor's slip-n-slide for a little bit because it was so nice outside. Then it was time for Jackson's birthday party with our family. We kept it pretty low-key. We still had the decorations up from the day before (the balloons were starting to sag though) and we just ordered pizza. Ellie and Ashlyn even showed up in matching party dresses.
Sunday was spent going to church and playing outside with Jackson's new toys. Andrew and I had a meeting in the afternoon and the kids got to hang out at Grandma and Papa's and then we were back to home to finish up the evening playing outside again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment