Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

We started our Valentine's week early around our house. Ellie had her party last Thursday, so we worked on her valentines earlier in the week. Unlike when Jackson was her age, Ellie loved writing her name on her valentines. She was very excited to come home after her party and go through all the valentines and candy she received. Lincoln wanted to join in too.Then Jackson had to have his box made and valentines done by Friday so they could get everything ready at school for their party today. Jackson went for a space theme but also added random stickers. He was very proud of it.Thursday night Jackson had Little K then we were off to Molly's senior night. Ellie had a very exciting night at the basketball game. First off she got to go hang out with Molly and some of the cheerleaders during the last part of the JV game, the Heather borrowed her poms to use during the starting lineup and lastly during the starting lineup each starter gives a t-shirt to someone in the crowd and one girl gave one to Ellie. She was all smiles.Mom and Dad enjoying their last senior night.And I just had to add this in here. Each of the seniors had a big picture (maybe 30x40) up on the wall in the gym and a smaller one in the program. Every other girl had her hands on her hips, but not Molly. This is just the picture in the program. The big one was on the other side of the gym and I didn't make it down there. I loved it.Andrew and I got to go on a date Friday night. Our church was sponsoring a date night and they provided free child care. Andrew and I rushed down to Pear Tree and enjoyed a wonderful dinner and got back to the church to catch part of the movie they were showing. They showed "Fireproof" for the couples while the kids still played and they also had soda and popcorn. It was a fun night, but we could hear Lincoln starting to cry at the end so it was definitely time to go. But one of the best parts of the night was as we were trying to leave and Jackson was looking for his shoes. He was running fast down a hall that had a door at the end of it and he ran smack into the door and stumbled back. He said he thought the door would open. He found it kind of funny-I found it hilarious.
Jackson had another ball game Saturday and he did a great job. He really started picking up the idea of defense and made a few baskets. He thought it was pretty fun. And then since it was starting to warm up a little, the kids played outside some on Saturday. I filled up some water bottles with water and food coloring and they colored the snow. I on the other had didn't get to play. We had a K-Life dinner to prepare for Sunday and we were supposed to be having a couple girls from one of our church's other campus staying the night with us because they were going to be doing the worship service the next morning. I got everything ready-beds, food, etc-and then we went to my parents for dinner. We got home around 9 and I had just started to make some muffins for our guests to have the next morning for breakfast when I got a text saying that only one girl came and so they were just all going to stay at the Vincents. Oh well, Jackson and Ellie enjoyed the snacks I had set out for our guests.

Sunday was another beautiful day but I was prepping and cooking from after we got home from church until it was time to take our dinner to the K-Life house. Andrew took the kids all afternoon and they played outside for quite a while. They played on the swingset and rode their bikes. Andrew even had me come out to see he and Jackson's latest game-Jackson riding his bike down the street trying to dodge the snowballs Andrew was throwing at him. They also put together a quick snowman (or snowgirl I guess) so Ellie could use some of her snowmen decorations she got for Christmas.

Later that day we loaded up all of the food and took it over to the K-Life house. Andrew and I became board members a few months ago and each month different board member families do a dinner for the staff and volunteers. We had around 30 kids there and my parents came along too because I thought they would like to see how K-Life has grown since they helped start it around 15 years ago. The kids loved hanging out with the college kids and I loved watching Jackson interacting with all of them. He was totally in his element.
So on to today. Jackson had his party at school and Ellie, Lincoln and I got to hang out with Kate and Alex while Leah helped with Zach's party. They had a little dance party. Don't you just love Ellie's pose?Andrew brought me some roses before he headed out of town this morning. I had given him his gift, Stewart's soda for his office, the night before since he was going to be gone most of today. The kids found some little treats waiting for them at the breakfast table this morning and then they each got to open a little gift this afternoon after Lincoln had his hair cut. Lincoln was pretty grumpy after his appointment. I had great ideas of getting a cute picture of all of them, but I quickly figured out it was not going to work. After they opened gifts, then we had to head to Jackson's basketball practice and then to Molly's basketball game. Ellie kept telling people Happy Valentine's day. She loved today. She got some wooden magnetic dress up dolls and she has been playing with them ever since. They went to basketball practice with us and she dressed them in their pjs and laid them in bed beside her with her blanket on them. She wanted me to pray for them to and she had named them Janie and Sparkles but I think the names may have changed now. Jackson was a little disappointed in his gift (some Lego cars I guess he already has-oops) but was so sweet tonight when he prayed before bed. He thanked God for having a great Valentine's day and for getting fun gifts.

No comments: