Friday, July 11, 2014

Family Vacation 2014-Steamboat Springs

Well Jackson did end up having his game last Monday night and we again thought it was the last game for him.  They did a great job and ended up winning.  I was just really getting into my packing groove when we had to head to the game so I just tried to pick up where I left off when we got home.

 
Tom and Mary stopped by after the game and Andrew loaded up our bikes in the back of their truck since they offered to take them out to Colorado for us.  I was able to get all of our clothes for all of us (except what was in our overnight bag) into our biggest suitcase but then we had big duffle bag full of shoes and jackets.  I stayed up late that night and got pretty much everything packed and set it all up in the new office including our hitch haul.  I checked on the twins a couple of times before I went to bed and one time they had the lights on looking at their Thomas books.  The next time Bennett was asleep but Miles was still awake in his bed.  I noticed they both had their diapers off so I put new ones on them and looked around for their old ones.  I eventually found them in the trash can-how nice of them to take them off, get out of bed and throw them away.  J Then it was up early the next day because Andrew had his long-awaited appointment in St. Louis for his hip at one.  Andrew went into the office early while I got the kids ready and over to my parents.  Actually, Ellie and Lincoln went home with them after the game the night before, so it was just Jackson and the twins.  I was very grateful they could watch them so I could go with Andrew to St. Louis.  We got there in enough time to meet Lissy, Sara and the kids for lunch at California Pizza Kitchen.  Then it was off to his appointment.  His appointment was at one and we didn’t get out of there until after four.  A lot of waiting around.  He was diagnosed with a hip impingement and he even had a very small hip fracture above the hip joint that was old.  They didn’t seem too concerned with it though.  We decided to do a steroid injection and physical therapy then come back in October to see if it is any better.  We went ahead and scheduled the surgery so that we don’t have to wait longer if that is what we decided to do in October.  Lucky us, it is scheduled for December 10th.  We wanted it before the end of the year for insurance purposes and Andrew thought the timing would be best for him since things would be slower with court at that time.  But of course things will be pretty hectic on my part.  So we really hope he doesn’t have to have surgery but almost wonder if it is inevitable. 

We had to head straight home after the appointment since Jackson had yet another ballgame-he was able to get in on the first tournament game.  The game didn’t start until 8:30 though.  So we ran by the house when we got home so Andrew could get his truck and then headed to my parents.  Andrew took Jackson to the game while I loaded up the other kids, ran by Walgreens to get some medicine for altitude sickness and then home to drop the kids off.  Molly was nice enough to come over and watch them since we knew it was going to be a late game.  She was awesome and asked what she could do to help me out so she watered the flowers, helped the kids collect the trash and gave them baths.  She even kept them up late in hopes they would sleep during the car trip the next day.  Jackson’s game ended up starting late because the game before them ran late.  Then it went into extra innings.  Jackson struggled a bit this game but still had some good plays.  They put him in as pitcher but it just wasn’t there.  Andrew said he was doing well while he was warming him up but it just didn’t translate to the field.  So they pulled him partway through the inning.  He later said he was actually okay with it because he knew he wasn’t doing well.  But in the end they pulled out a win.  Jackson went rode home with me after the game and we stopped to fill up real quick.  So it was probably 10:45 before we got home.  Andrew put the twins to bed then the others went while I tied up loose ends to get ready to leave the next morning.

Andrew went to the office Wednesday morning to finish some stuff up and then we loaded up the car.  We tried to fit it all without the Hitch Haul, but it was just a little too much.  Then Andrew went to get his hair cut and pick up some dry ice for the cooler and paint for the mudroom cubbies (it was on sale and wouldn’t be when we got home) while I got ready and got the kids ready.  We had hoped to leave at 8:30 but ended up a little closer to nine-not too bad J. 

The first part of the trip was pretty good, just a little bit of whining.  Then we stopped in St. Joe for lunch at the Cracker Barrel and that was, thankfully, pretty uneventful too.  We were out of there in about 45 minutes and without any meltdowns.  Then I surprised them with The Lego Movie and worked on some billing for the office while they watched that.  The rest of the trip took longer than expected but it went pretty well. 




 
The next morning we drove to Estes Park to meet up with everyone else and got there a little early.  So we decided to go ahead and do our grocery shopping there so we didn’t have to do it when we got to Steamboat, especially since I was doing dinner that night.  Then we all met up at McDonald’s and headed out but we immediately lost everyone.  So we started making our way through the Rocky Mountain National forest which was beautiful.  We made a quick couple of stops at lookout points but still never found anyone from our group.  

 
Cell service was very spotty so we tried a few calls and texts but they never made it through at the right time.  Kristin finally got a hold of us as we were about 20 minutes from Steamboat and they were still at the top and about 1 ½ behind us.  It ended up working out though because we were able to pick up the keys for the house, get unloaded and get dinner going.  The house was beautiful and had more than enough room for all of us.  So we had a relaxed evening (or most of us did) trying to adjust to the altitude.  I worked on dinner and unpacking for most of the evening, then cleaned up dinner and finished unpacking and putting stuff away that night.  The kids were all excited to see each other and explore the house, loudly J.  The twins had a little bit of trouble settling down but I was up late putting stuff away so it wasn’t that big of a deal.  Before I went to bed I went to check on them and found them like this. 

I finally went to bed around midnight only to hear one of them start crying close to one.  Bennett had woken up and had a nasty diaper.  So I got that changed and we were all off to bed.  Jackson and Lincoln shared a room while Ellie slept with the girls in one of the bunk rooms.  Everyone slept pretty well but I still ended up waking up early to random noises.  Someday I am going to catch up on my sleep.  The twins actually slept in a while which was great.  The next couple of nights were a little rough, but they eventually started sleeping better through the night.  Andrew was up early, anxious to get his first bike ride in the mountains done.  He got a little lost and had a crash but he was pretty happy he got to go.  His crash happed when his tire got stuck in a seam in the road and he went down.  He ended up with some abrasions on his arm and leg but he said he was fine. 

The kids spent most of the morning running around playing.  There are two loft game areas that they determined were the boy and girl castles.  Andrew’s mom also brought along some games and crafts for the kids to play with.  The girls worked on some string bracelets while the boys did some bubbles.




We thought about going to the Fourth of July parade but it was overcast, chillier morning and with the twins sleeping later if just didn’t happen.  We did eventually make it out but the kids weren’t too thrilled.  We walked a bit around downtown Steamboat and tried to watch a ski jumping competition but it we couldn’t find a parking space.  We did get to see a few jumps as we were driving around though.  So we just drove around a bit to better familiarize ourselves with the area.  That night we watched the fireworks from the house-some of us on the decks while the kids set up with some popcorn in front of one of the large windows.  The rest of the week was full of fun activities.  Andrew’s mom was always so nice to watch the kids so they could get in the hot tub and they had a lot of fun with that throughout the week.  They also played a lot with her crafts, Legos, cars, etc.  She was well prepared.












One funny thing about the house is that it didn’t have air conditioning.  I think most of the houses here don’t.  But it was a warm week in Steamboat which meant the third floor would sometimes end up close to 90 degrees later in the afternoon, especially if the oven was going for dinner.  So the rest of the week we did all sorts of stuff.  We went on a couple family bike rides (minus the twins) which the kids really enjoyed.  Lincoln didn’t want his brother and sister getting too far ahead of him so his little legs were pedaling fast at times. J


Andrew did a couple bike rides himself  which was awesome while I attempted to run.  Our house was up the mountain a ways, so I would run down about 1.5 miles and then turn around and run back up.  I never made it all the way back up without walking for a while though.  It was tough! Andrew did mention that he never saw anyone running up that street and he was right.  I would see people down on the trails but not on my way back up to the house. J  But it was a good way to start off my next 1000 miles.  (Last week I hit a milestone of getting 1000 miles of biking, running and swimming in since last August.  It may not be that much to some people but it was big to me J) Andrew and Jackson went on a hike together part ways up to Devil’s Causeway on morning.  We also took the kids over to the Coca Cola Adventure Zone where they had several different activities to do.  Jackson and Ellie both decided to do the trampoline twice along with the ropes course while Lincoln did the trampoline once and the ropes course.  They had a lot of fun.  Jackson and Ellie finally became brave enough on the trampoline to do some flips.  Once Ellie started, you couldn’t get her to stop.  And Lincoln did an awesome job on both things for being a little thing-and he loved it.  He gets excited when he can do the things the big kids do.











Probably the biggest thing we did was our hike up to Devil’s Causeway.  We hiked around three miles both ways and up to an elevation of 11,800 feet (around 3000 feet up).  We had the whole crew except Andrew’s parents stayed behind to watch the twins and Savannah for us.  Kristin carried Ainsley in a front carrier, Annie is pregnant and then we had 7 kids.  Everyone did a great job.  Before our last two ascents, Kristin, Ainsley and Luke stopped in an open flat spot and hung out there while the rest of us continued on.  First we had to trek across some snow and then make our way up.  Again, the kids were awesome because there were some steep inclines and it was challenging but we finally made it.  Andrew ventured further out onto the narrow part of the causeway.  He wasn’t planning on going across it but was feeling good when he got up there so he went for it.  He didn’t consult about this with me first and I didn’t realize it until he was already crossing.  He just wanted to take the kids one at a time over to the part where you can crossover, so I was staying with Ellie and Lincoln while he took Jackson over.  So Annie watched them for me while I ventured further out to get some video of Andrew.  I got there in time for him to start taking Jackson across.  Thankfully they did go too far across, but enough for Jackson to feel like he accomplished something.  The crossover is just about four feet across with very steep drop-offs on either side.  So we stayed up there for a while, taking in the view before we started making our way down.  It was sometimes more difficult getting down than it was going up-at least the first part of it.  There was a lot of slipping and sliding.  Ellie cut her hand on some sort of weed and cried for a while because she still had to use that hand to grip things as she climbed down.  Then Lincoln fell crossing the snow and was upset for a while.  It was about a 5 hour hike in all with an early morning start (funny side note from our trip there-Lincoln was asleep but woke up as soon as “Big Green Tractor” came on and started singing it), so I still think they did great even with a few upsets.  They all slept well on the way back to Steamboat.  Andrew was so happy that he got to share that experience with his kids.























 
Another fun thing the kids got to do was the alpine slide.  We rode a chair lift up and then rode down 2400 ft slide in a sled-type thing with wheels.  Jackson and Ellie were able to go by themselves, while Andrew and I took turns going with Lincoln.  They loved it.  And then on the way back to the house, Andrew dropped the three older kids and I off at Gondola Square so we could ride the gondola up to the ski slopes and look around.  They had fun with it but would have rather been able to do the trampoline again.















But soon it was time to head home.  It was a great vacation…getting to spend time with family and all the new experiences.  We left early Thursday morning and things went pretty well the first part of the trip.  Although we did run into a cattle drive that took us a little bit to get through.  But somewhere around Lincoln, Nebraska we took a wrong turn and ended up having to change our route a bit.  And then the new route had a detour we had to take.  Definitely not something you want to have to deal with on the trip home but it could have been worse.  My parents did offer to pick up some milk for us and turn our air down-they said things were kind of quite around their house since no one was home.  Caroline is back for a little while but she went to a wedding in St. Louis and Molly headed off to kamp for the month.


Andrew headed to work Friday morning while I started the process of unpacking.  Jackson was eager for me to try to get an update on a game on his Kindle so he helped with the unpacking too.  Then I had all the kids put away their clean clothes from the suitcases-it definitely helped J.  The kids were excited to see their friends again.  Actually, Ty was at our front door at 8am this morning.  Eventually I got everything put away, laundry in full swing and vacuumed out the car.  Then it was off to do our grocery shopping.  I don’t know if it was because it was close to nap time (actually past nap time but we had to get this done) but Miles and Bennett were being loud and ornery.  I was thankful to get that trip done and then we went to the car wash so I could scrub all the bugs off of it-lots of bugs!  We finally made it home and the older three brought in the groceries while I laid the twins down for their nap.  Now we are getting ready to head to my parents.  Some of my siblings are coming into town for the Killday family reunion tomorrow so it will be nice to see everyone.

No comments: