Monday, March 3, 2014

It is Still Cold!

Wow, Monday was a busy day for us.  Andrew did most of the running, so THANK YOU!  He picked up Jackson and Ellie from school and then took Ellie to dance at 3:45.  Jackson did as much homework as he could and then he went with the Vincents to basketball practice for his 3on3 team at the church at 4:30.  I made sure to have dinner ready by 5 when Andrew got home with Ellie.  We quickly ate and cleaned up, loaded up the kids, picked up Jackson at practice (I got to meet his coaches-two Truman basketball players-one girl and one boy), and then dropped them off at my parents so Andrew and I could go to our K-Life board meeting.  Jackson was supposed to go to swim practice, but we decided to skip so he could get his homework done.  Well he ended up not doing any homework at  my parents, so I guess he should have gone to practice instead.  He did bring home a nice recognition from school Monday.  He was selected to be in the Ray Miller Spelling Bee.  He was very hesitant about doing it though since he would have to spend extra time studying the words and it was against the 4th and 5th graders too.  I think he thinks he doesn't have a chance.  But after discussing it for a bit (this is a great opportunity and would be good practice for future years), encouraging him to take on the challenge, and sleeping on it, he finally decided to go ahead and do it.  We had to sign a form saying he was going to do it and we would help him prepare (it came with a list of hundreds of words to go over) and if we didn't want to do it to let them know so they could choose someone else.

Tuesday was pretty uneventful.  Andrew had to go to Columbia, so I had to pick up Lincoln and then we ran to the bank.  The kids had Elevate after school at church and then Andrew gave the twins hair cuts.  There was a lot of hair.  I washed their clothes twice and there was still hair.  Andrew did a pretty good job of cleaning it up in the bathroom.  Even then, I still picked up quite a bit when I cleaned the bathrooms on Wednesday.  Andrew has been having trouble with his left hip locking up and causing some pain.  He was really wanting to start training for his triathlon but my dad told him to take 6-8 weeks off, which he did.  But his hip still wasn't really that much better, so he had an MRI on Thursday.  It ended up not showing much though-maybe a slight labral tear.  So he will rest it a bit longer and then hopefully start up with his training.  The kids had Little K Thursday after school and then we went to my parents to eat dinner.  Lissy was in town, which the kids always get excited about.  While I ran to the store and Andrew took Jackson to swim practice, Lissy tried to play memory with Ellie and Lincoln.  They just played with regular playing cards, so it was a little harder.  They both do pretty well with cards with pictures on them. 

Friday I was determined to not let Lincoln watch as much TV as he has in the past couple of weeks.  We did the free month subscription to Netflix, which he loves.  I would try to get him to do other things, but he never wanted to.  So he and the twins played with cars in the morning.  When the twins went down for a nap, I let him paint and then we did some Snap Circuits.  That night my parents and Lissy came over for dinner.  I tried a new dessert-Dulce De Leche Banana Toffee Pie.  I thought it was pretty good-a little different.  I started getting a sore throat that night and I wasn't the only one.  Ellie and Jackson have both been dealing with a cold this past week and then my parents weren't feeling well this weekend too.  So while Andrew took the older three to the ranch Saturday morning, I slept in instead of doing my training.  And I have been taking Zicam religiously-I really don't want to get sick again. 








The kids ended up ditching Andrew and hanging out with Granny for the morning.  I guess the leprechauns had visited her early and left green toilet water and little surprises for the kids.  Jackson got some Legos and Lincoln got a Transformer that they get to keep out there.  Ellie got to do some St. Patrick's Day crafts.  They always enjoy their time out there.  The twins and I didn't do too much around home. Miles did try to do his hair though.

Since I was trying to lay low, I spent a lot of time on the computer researching stuff for Italy and trying to plan a couple ninja parties.  That evening Lissy took the older three out for Mexican, while I ate leftovers, and Andrew worked late at the office.  I guess she dared them to try the hot sauce and they all did.  They said Lincoln's face turned red and his eyes watered, but he said he kind of liked it. So she then took them to Wal-Mart to get their prizes for their dare.  Ellie got a water gun, Lincoln got a Power Ranger, and Jackson got a gift card because he couldn't decide on anything :-).

We didn't make it to church on Sunday because Andrew went out to help his dad and he took Jackson with him.  We had more snow Saturday night which makes things harder.  Our church actually held their first Saturday night service the night before, but we remembered it too late to make it to that one.  But that could be a good option for those mornings when Andrew has to get work done out at the ranch.  I was feeling a little better, so I got up to my training that I usually do on Saturdays and Sundays are usually my day off.  Before I got started, I got Ellie and Lincoln set up for a bubble bath.  They had bubbles everywhere but had a lot of fun.  I was actually able to listen to the live stream of our church service while I finished up my workout, which was great.  Andrew and Jackson didn't get home until close to two and Jackson had to inform me that he lifted a calf three times his weight up into the back of the truck.  I think he had a little help, but he did work hard.  I was going to have him work on some spelling words for his upcoming Spelling Bee, but I thought he deserved a bit of a break.  Andrew headed to the office though until dinner time but couldn't find his tennis shoes before he left.  I remember one of the twins having them on earlier in the day, but neither of us could find them.  I spent a lot of time that day and night and some more time Monday morning looking for them.  I checked all sorts of cabinets, closets, behind doors, under things, even the trash multiple times. I think we had almost given up and then I found them in the storage area, tucked under one of the twins' four wheelers.  While the twins weren't worried about the shoes they got into a light saber battle with Ellie and Ellie tried to give them mohawks.  I also made a sad attempt at French braiding Ellie's hair.  I told her I would learn, so I am trying to work on it.





Lastly I have a couple pictures of what Jackson and Ellie have been working on a lot of the past few weeks.  Jackson loves his Legos and builds all sorts of stuff.  And as I mentioned before, Ellie loves making bracelets and other things with her Rainbow Loom.  Jackson talked about some girls at school selling bracelets to raise money for St. Jude.  Ellie made some bracelets that she wanted me to give to these girls.  But the next day I say a link on a blog I read about a charity that was collecting these bracelets to send to HIV+ girls in an orphanage in Ethopia.  So Ellie started working hard to make more bracelets to send to them.  She had Grace and Faith help her make a few too.  We just packaged them up yesterday to send out in the mail.

No comments: