Monday, March 31, 2014

A Fun-Filled Weekend

I thought I would try to do a quick post to finish up our week.  Wednesday was business as usual except we had Jackson go to swim practice after school (he usually doesn’t do Wednesday practice) since he wouldn’t be able to go to his normal practice the next night.  Thursday was a dreary day.  It rained off and on a little.  I had something to go to Leah’s house and Lincoln was excited to get his frog rain jacket on and take it to them.

That night we had Jackson’s music/art program at school.  We rushed around to try to get out of the house a little quicker because dark clouds were moving in.  We were actually under a tornado watch for the evening.  It started sprinkling a little more as we pulled in, so Andrew dropped the kids and I off and went to park the car.  My parents were already there and had saved us some seats which was nice.  We got to see Jackson’s ninja art work and then let the twins roam around until it was time to start.  Andrew’s mom joined us too for the performance.  Jackson got to be part of a group that came up front to sing.  Even thought I think it is not his favorite thing to do, he still did a good job! J  And the storm blew through as we were inside and the sun was shining when we left.



After we got home from the program, I headed out to do some grocery shopping and pick up one of our pack-n-plays at my parents.  The next morning Lincoln, the twins, and I ran a few errands.  We had to drop off some stuff for the 3on3 tournament at the K-Life House and then we picked up a key to my parents’ storage unit and met Sarah over there so she could borrow their ocean kayak for a display to sign people up for camp at church.  I spent part of the day packing us up for Kansas City and then getting stuff ready for my triathlon the next day.  When Ellie got home from school, she brought out her lines for her upcoming program.  She gets to be a cat and has a few lines.  She was trying to practice them with Lincoln-telling him what to say before her lines J.

That evening we had a Parents’ Night Out.  I quickly fed the kids, loaded them up and we dropped them off at church.  Then Andrew and I went to the TCC so I could pick up my race packet and do a helmet check.  We saw Andrea when we were there so I talked to her for a bit.  We were both feeling pretty nervous about the race.  I know it wasn’t a long race, but I was still nervous-especially about the cold.  They also had the St. Pat’s Day Race results posted there that Andrea was looking at.  I noticed they had the age-group winners posted too and I actually ended up getting second in my age group.  I’ll just let them keep the medal though.  After picking up my packet, we had dinner at Ruby Tuesdays.  Then we rode around the bike course one last time since they had it marked.  I finished up getting stuff ready at home and then dropped off some hand and toe warmers at Andrea’s before we picked up the kids.  I took some melatonin that night and was able to get to sleep.  I woke up around four though and a got a little sleep off and on until it was time to get up.  Andrew was up early too.  I think he was as excited as I was-he has been so supportive of me through all of this.  Ellie ended up getting a little early too.  I had a pretty nervous stomach so I ended up not eating much.  Just a piece of toast and part of a banana.  Andrew aired up my tires for me and loaded up the bike in his truck and I was off.  He, Jackson, Ellie, and Lincoln came closer to start time.  Mary stayed with the twins which we really appreciated! 

Our transition area was set up behind Pershing, so I racked my bike there and set all of my stuff out.  The temperature at start time was just in the 30s, so I put some toe warmers in my cycling shoes and hand warmers in with my clothes.  Then it was off to the pool.  Once we got marked there wasn’t much time to warm up, so I didn’t bother.  Andrew thought it would probably be best to try to stay was warm as possible before it all began anyways.  The original plan was to just run outside wet and barefoot to the transition area but with it being so cold a lot of people thought throwing on some shoes before running outside would be a good idea.  Some people even ended up getting dressed right by the pool.  I figured if I was going to have some shoes there, I might as well have a towel. 




Then it was time to line up according to our swim time.  There were probably six or so girls ahead of me and we started at 10 second intervals.  I jumped in and got under the water right away and then it was time for me to start. 

I didn’t feel like my swim went as well as I was hoping.   We were supposed to snake back and forth from one end of the pool to the other which meant going under the lane lines at each turn.  I decided to go ahead and do flip turns and one time I didn’t make it under the line and had to scoot over.  But I guess the adrenaline kept my time faster than I though it was going to be. Andrew and the three oldest were my roaming support team.  They were right outside the pool as I went out the doors to head down to the transition area.  My transition to the bike was really slow, but they weren’t timing them.  With the cold, I had several layers to put on and then my helmet didn’t seem to be fitting quite right.  But my crew was cheering for me as I headed out.  Andrew also did a great job of getting pictures of some of my friends doing it too. 





The bike was okay.  We did two loops of the course which went from Franklin to Shepherd to Michigan to Patterson and back to Franklin.  The hills on Shepherd are always hard but getting a little easier.  I rode the course probably four times before the race and I was always able to get good speed on Boundary but for the race there was a north wind that made it so much harder which was disappointing.  I was able to pick up speed on Franklin though.  I passed a couple people and had one person pass me, but other than that I was just kind of on my own.  And again, my cheering squad showed up in a couple places as I was biking which was fun.  I felt like I finished strong and was able to unclip okay, but getting my leg over the bike to get off when my legs feel like jello is always a funny sight. 




Then it was time to switch out shoes, grab a quick drink and take off for the run.  I wasn’t quite sure where to go for the run or who I was supposed to show my number to so I walked down the hill of the transition area until I got direction.  I feel like that few seconds of walking kind of helped my legs though as they weren’t as heavy as I was expecting.  I usually have my tracker on my phone going but didn’t get it started during the race so I wasn’t sure what my pace was.  I like knowing my pace and I think it would have pushed me just a little more.  But I felt good on my run which I was surprised by.  I was on my own again as I could barely see one girl ahead of me and didn’t notice anyone behind me.  Then there were those smiling faces as I was coming up on the finish line.  I was happy I did it and am looking forward to doing it again.  We stuck around and saw Andrea and Rachel finish at the same time and then Rachel’s mom a little later.







Andrew loaded up the bike and my transition stuff while I got my stuff from the pool and then we stuck around for the raffles and awards.  They ended up just giving awards to the top three overall finishers.  But they ended up posting the times pretty quickly that afternoon.  I ended up ninth overall and second in my age group.  The lady that took first in my age group took first overall.  So I was pleased with all of that even though my times were a little slower than I was expecting.  The bike was around 9.2 miles and my time ended up being 36.51, while I had been able to do it in around 35 with some of my rides before.  Andrew blames it on my “parachute” jacket.  I loved my wind breaker jacket but it did blow up with air quite a bit J. My run time was 19.28 which I initially was a tad bit disappointed with but after putting the info into my tracker, plus the distance actually being around 2.4 miles instead of 2.1, my pace was pretty good for me.  I ended up 9th overall out of 49 participants and second in my age group.  Overall, I am really happy I had the chance to do it and look forward to more.  I do struggle with feelings of guilt for taking the time to train though.  But Andrew is so supportive and happy for me.  He also reminds me that I don’t take the time to train to hard.  I usually just allow myself 30 minutes a day (some days more if I try to do two activities) and a lot of people spend more time than that in the gym just working out every day, not actually training for something.  I do need to spend more time with it if I want to improve a lot, but that probably isn’t going to happen.  Next up is the Arise Run/Bike.  It is a 5K followed by an 8 mile bike.  I think some of the area’s more competitive people come out for this one so I will probably finish further in the back of the pack J. 

After we finished up at the triathlon, we went home so I could shower and get ready to head to Kansas City.  Andrew made the kids a quick lunch while I got ready, cleaned up the house a bit, and loaded the car.  Andrew and I just grabbed a quick snack for lunch.  I just got a banana and a cup of granola.  Nothing else sounded that great at that point, but I was really hungry by the time we got to Cameron and getting a headache.  So I grabbed a cheeseburger from Wendy’s that tasted really good.  The kids did pretty well during the car ride which we were thankful for.  We stopped at our hotel first so we could check in and getting the suitcase and pack-n-plays in the room and then it was onto Andy and Autumn’s for Baylor’s 4th Birthday party.  It took Miles and Bennett a little while to warm up.  While they were pretty good on the ride, they didn’t really sleep that much and I think it was catching up with them.  Bennett didn’t want me to let him down.  He would act like he wanted down but then would start screaming if I did.  They didn’t even want Papa.  We had an Italian dinner that Autumn made and it was delicious.  Miles and Bennett ate a little bit of it but I eventually got them some Teddy Grahams and they were happy.  They even liked sharing them with Viva.  Lincoln was really anxious to give Baylor his gift and helped him open them up.  Actually I guess Owen opened up Baylor’s gifts that were waiting down in the basement earlier in the day and Andy had to rewrap them J.  It was a nice day out so they opened gifts and did the cake outside.  We had to leave around cake time though to head to Disney on Ice.  At the last minute we decided to not take Miles and Bennett since they were having fun at the house.  I am thankful that my parents offered to keep them because I’m not sure how they would have handled all of it.  I think the evening show was a little busier than the earlier one that the rest of them went to.  Everything was crowded from the parking, to getting in the Sprint Center.  We had great seats and the kids enjoyed the first half of the show.  I asked them at intermission if they would be fine with going ahead and heading back to the house.  Jackson said that was fine and I misunderstood Ellie.  I thought she wanted to head back to the party, but she wanted to see the rest of the “party on ice”.  I didn’t realize it until we were walking to the car though.  Oops.  The first half of the show was about an hour and they got to see a lot.  My mom said the first part of the second half was pretty boring plus it would have taken us forever to just get out of the Sprint Center, to our car, and out of the parking garage with the crowd.  So that is why I thought it would be okay to leave.  I do feel bad that Ellie wanted to stay though.








After the show we headed back to the house to pick up the twins and head to the hotel for the night.  The twins were wound up when we got to the hotel.  They were bouncing off the walls, so we went up to visit my parents and run off some steam, but that gave them even more energy.  Ellie ended up sleeping in Lissy’s room with Briley, but our room had a rough night.  The twins were not happy about being in their pack-n-plays and screamed and cried a lot that night.  Needless to say, we didn’t get much sleep.  We even contemplated just heading home in the middle of the night. 




 
But we battled it out with some sleep, got ready the next morning, had some breakfast at the hotel, and then headed over to say goodbye to Andy and family.  The twins did sleep a little on the way home, but still went down for a long nap when we got home.  I put them down a little after two and it took them a little while to settle down.  But then I had to go wake them up around 7!  Life is rough when you miss a couple naps and won’t sleep at night.  While they were napping the older kids played outside off and on and I started mounds of laundry that somehow multiplied quickly and worked on cleaning out the car and garage.  When Andrew got home he decided to try to start a fire from scratch-with stick and kindling.  I think he eventually got it to work and was pretty proud.  While he was doing that I ran our old beach cruisers over to my parents.  We weren’t using them and they thought they might.  Ellie went with me and tried several times on the way over to convince me that I needed to do some grocery shopping so she could pick out something J.  She wasn’t successful though.  Then just as we got the kids to bed that night, there was a loud pop outside and Andrew came into the bedroom to inform me that he thought part of our outdoor fireplace exploded.  I looked out to see red embers all over the inside of the fireplace, the hearth, and on the concrete around it.  He ended up staying up on the couch that night to keep an eye on it.  After inspecting it a little more this morning, it was just the bottom of the firebox that was affected.  It was made out of concrete.  I read a few things about concrete exploding like that but the guy that built the fireplace thought it would be fine.  He has done quite a few, so I assumed he knew what he was talking about.  So I’m not quite sure what happened.  I know he will get us all fixed up though.  I am just soooo thankful that no one was out around it.  The twins had been out there around it earlier sitting on the ground right where some of the concrete pieces shot out to. 

So now it is back to work and school.  We had a little bit of rain this morning and Lincoln and I both tried to take advantage of it.  I was needing to clean the bike, so I set it out in the rain to rinse off a bit before I wiped it down-it worked J.  Lincoln wanted to go play out in the rain again with his rain jacket, but it stopped by the time he got around to it.
 
And a couple of random pictures.  Miles likes to wear his hat this way, so Ellie joined him.  And Ellie's new hairstyle-sock curls :-).


 

No comments: