We had a pretty normal week this past week. On Tuesday Andrew had court out of town so I had to take the kids to school. After that I came home and worked on last week's blog post and the twins "played" in their room. I went in there to find a bunch of their diapers stuffed in the drawer of the changing table and the trash can. They had been working hard. Alex came over around lunch time because Leah was picking up her mom in Des Moines from having been up in Minnesota for Lanie's transplant surgery. Lincoln and Alex played out back for a while and then came inside to get a snack and watched Bob the Builder. After the twins went down for a nap, we all went outside so I could pot my flowers. They really wanted to water them for me so they played around while I went to work. When I was all done I got them a bucket of water a couple small watering cans and they went to work while I cleaned up my mess. At one point though, I looked over to see my pot of parsely overflowing with soil and water. I guess they spent a lot of time watering mainly one pot. I think the parsley has recovered though.
Joe picked up Jackson and Ellie from school for me and dropped Jackson off at swim practice. Then he picked up Alex and I got dinner started and then it was time to pick Jackson up from practice. We had just enough time after dinner to get everything cleaned up and then we had to drop the kids off at my parents' house so Andrew and I could go to a K-Life meeting. The meeting didn't get over until around 8:45 so we just picked up the kids (who thankfully already had their baths) and got them home into bed.
The twins and I got a good walk in Wednesday morning after I finished up my house cleaning. I was also able to clean out some closets and toys a bit. It was another nice day so the kids got to play outside during small group. It was our last week for our sitters from Truman. We didn't realize it then, but it was also our last group until next school year. Baseball/softball starts this week and many families schedules are going to be super busy the next couple of months including a lot of ballgames on Wednesdays. To start out with a bang, Jackson and Ellie both have games this Wednesday and Andrew will most likely be at trial. We still hope to have a family barbecue in a few weeks though. It will be nice to have a break, but we do enjoy getting together with everyone every week. And we are really enjoying the series we are doing right now.
The rain came Wednesday night and it was still sprinkling a bit when the twins and I went grocery shopping. And while we were enjoying the cool rain, my parents, Lissy, and Molly were beginning their adventure at Disney World to celebrate Molly's 21st birthday. We got home and got it unloaded then had to pick up Lincoln from school. After lunch, a girl from our church came over to watch the twins while Lincoln and I went to Ellie's music program at school and Andrew met us there. They did a very similar program to the one Jackson did when he was in Kindergarten. The classes formed an American flag and Ellie was one of the stars. She did a great job and we also got to see some of her beautiful art work before we left.
After dinner Thursday night Andrew really wanted me to go for a bike ride. It was just a 4.3 mile bike ride and I hate to admit that it was a little harder than I thought it would be. My average speed was actually less than what Andrew's was for his long bike ride which is around 20 miles. I know it will just take time and practice to improve, but I guess this just proves that I am getting older. I ran to a couple of stores later that evening. I picked up a couple grasses to plant out front from Westlakes and I have been on the hunt for cuties. The twins and Ellie love them and I am guessing they are out of season now. I have tried Wal-Mart, Hy-Vee, and Aldi and no ones has them anymore.
Lincoln was home all day Friday and got the pleasure of helping me wash all of our sheets-an all day chore. We also spent some time outside and I planted the new grasses I got. Bennett was cute during lunch time. As I was taking their plates to their high chairs, he picked up both of their sippy cups and set one on each high chair. Jackson had a birthday party to go to after school at the Aquatic Center. It was a three hour party! I thought an hour and a half was more than enough with all those boys, I can't imagine three hours. We ate an early dinner so that Andrew could go for his 20 mile bike ride out to the lake. He was able to improve his speed, so he was happy about that. I am impressed with how well he is doing too.
Andrew took the kids out to the ranch Saturday morning but had to be back a little earlier since Ellie had ball practice at 11. I spent part of the day getting stuff ready for the Mother's Day lunch we were doing for Mary the next day. Our grass and our kids' hair grow like crazy right now so Andrew had a busy afternoon of cutting grass and cutting hair while also spending some time at the office. And then Jackson had baseball practice that evening. We were actually under a frost advisory Saturday night, so Ellie helped me out by bringing in my pots out front and then Andrew and Jackson brought in the ones out back while I cleaned up dinner.
Andrew and I were both up early on Sunday. He headed to the office for a little bit before church and I had to start prepping food and getting the kids ready for the early service. Ellie was excited to give me my present when she first woke up. She kept telling me that her class didn't make anything for Mother's Day :-). It was wrapped up in some pink paper that she colored. I got a book that had the "Top 5 Reasons Why I Love My Mom". 1. She helps me play baseball. 2. She lets me do fun things and crafts. 3. She lets me sleep in her bed sometimes (I think she has maybe 3 times so I guess she really likes it). 4. She lets me have toys. 5. She loves me. Then she also made a sign that had fill-in-the blanks... (I will use her spelling :-)) "My mom is nis; She likes to play with me; She always loves me; Sometimes she lets me do crafts; But the best thing about my mom is her hugs and cisis." I loved all of it. Jackson had given me my gift on Friday. It was a potted marigold. He told me they planted the seeds back in October and took them out to the Truman farms to grow. He was so proud of his flower and we had plans to get it planted this weekend. That didn't happen so hopefully over the next few days we can do it. Lincoln brought home his gift for me on Thursday. It was handprint flowers and I love anything with his handprints and his crooked pinkies. When Andrew got home he gave me a card from the kids and one from him with a gift certificate for carpet cleaning. I was very excited for the gift because this is something I have been wanting to do for a while. I was just waiting for small group to take a break, so I guess I need to make an appointment. I guess Andrew told Jackson what my gift was earlier in the week because Jackson hinted at it a couple times. He even told me he would tell me what my gift was if I wanted to know. I opted not to find out.
I have to mention Lincoln's necklace. He made it at church and was very proud of it. He says that it is supposed to remind him to pray. After church, Andrew took the kids outside while I finished up lunch. Jackson stayed in for a little bit and helped me out. He would do whatever I asked of him which was mostly little cleaning jobs. He kept telling me it was Mother's Day so he wanted to help me out. I told him that I wish every day was Mother's Day and he said he could do that. So sweet at the moment even if it doesn't hold true. Andrew's parents and Matthew, Kristin, and their kids arrived a little after noon. Kristin brought a salad to include with the lunch and we all enjoyed the meal. Jackson again helped me clean up a bit and the kids played outside for quite a while. As I was still cleaning a bit, Kristin came in to tell me that they were doing a ground breaking at their home building site. Her mom had not seen where they were building so she was having her and Tom and Mary out for the "ground breaking" and that Andrew was getting them a fifth shovel to use. It was their way of announcing that they are expecting their third child. And she is due on the same date that their new house is supposed to be finished. All very exciting news. Congrats you guys!
After everyone left, we put the twins down and I finished cleaning up and putting stuff away while Andrew went biking. He offered to stay and help clean but I know he really enjoys being able to go biking when he has the chance. After he got back it was time for me to do some grocery shopping. Not exactly what I wanted to do on Mother's Day but we needed some different items. I do think Andrew fed the kids dinner though-I think. We were just doing leftovers for lunch and keeping it simple. After my grocery shopping then it was my turn for a bike ride. I was pretty tired (it seems like I have been going to bed later and getting up earlier) before I even started so it was a little rough on me. Plus the air was kind of chilly which means I ended up with an ear ache. I was able to improve on my time and speed though. After I was done I realized I didn't get a picture with the kids for Mother's Day. I meant to do it earlier when we all looked a little nicer, but that didn't happen. So it is me post-workout and the kids after a full day of playing outside and changing out of their church clothes. Some day we will be able to get one without someone trying to get away.
It ended up being a great Mother's Day and I'm thankful for everyone that made it that way. I have a wonderful mom who has set such an awesome example for me. And God has entrusted me with so much and I need to remember that when I get overwhelmed taking care of all of my little blessings :-). I went upstairs last night to turn off the hallway light and Jackson was just going to sleep after reading. So we talked a bit and he asked me to pray for him. I told him that I am so glad that he is my son. And he told me that he is very glad I am his mom. It made me so happy as we start to venture into those years where he may question that every now and then.









No comments:
Post a Comment