Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Long, Catch-Up Post

I guess we have been a little busy trying to finish out the summer, that I have forgotten to blog. Last week was a hot one. I think we were under an excessive heat warning every day. My parents missed out on it as they were enjoying a relaxing vacation down at Seaside with Lissy, Caroline and Molly and without all the craziness that the rest of us bring. So to pass the time of our hot week we did a few different activities. One day I got the sprinkler and some shaving cream out for Jackson and Ellie to play with. The had a lot of fun and cooled off some. Later that week, Leah and I took Zach and Jackson to The Beach Ottumwa for their special day. We hit up Target first and Jackson brought some of his money to buy some Pokemon cards. Then we tried to find someplace to eat which wasn't much of a success. We ended up at some pizza place that had games but it was "gross" as Jackson would say. But the boys had a blast at the water park and it was a good day to be in the water as it was another hot one.We also spent some time at my parents' pool throughout the week. We had a few friends over on Friday to swim but we only got about 1 1/2 hours in before a storm blew in and cleared everyone out. I put a movie in for Jackson and Ellie hoping they would crash but it didn't work. Kaitlin and Zane came into town that night so we just ordered some pizza and spent some time with them. Then we stopped by the school to see who Jackson's teacher was because they posted it on the doors that day. We already knew he had Mrs. Williams because someone let us know earlier. But we wanted to see who he had in his class. I didn't really know any of the boys but we did know a few of the girls.

The kids just played with friends on Saturday. Kiersten had invited Ellie down to her house and it was her first time going by herself. I sent her on her way and she had to go about 5 houses down. She moves kind of slow so it was taking her a while and then I saw her park her scooter on the side of the road just past the LaBeth's and she started heading to their backyard. They had some family over and a new waterslide and I think Ellie thought that looked like a lot of fun. I sent her on her way though and she finally made it to Kiersten's and back without further detours. Kaitlin came over that night for dinner and then we went over to the LaBeth's to play on the slide. Jackson and Ellie loved it. Lincoln on the other hand found Jackson's leftover chocolate cake and was in heaven so he and Andrew stayed behind at our house for a good bath. Speaking of Lincoln, he is officially walking now. Since this is already a long post, I'll try to get a video for the next post.

Sunday we went to church, ate a quick lunch and then went to Ellie's school to meet her teacher. Mrs. Amanda is her teacher and she was Jackson's first preschool teacher too. She also went to school with Andrew and I. Ellie's other teacher is Sharla Eagen, but her son got married the day before so she wasn't there. We knew a few of the kids in her class so I think it will be a good group (with maybe a little girl drama :)). After meeting her teacher, we headed over to my parents for a little swimming and waited for my parents and their crew to show up. They picked up Amanda and her kids at the airport and brought all of them home.

Then Monday, we went to a Back To School party at the Vincent's. They had a couple of water toys set up and had hot dogs and orange and black treats. Lincoln just kind of snacked on what he could find laying around-cheetos and hot dog buns. But he hit the jackpot with a cupcake with black icing.Then we brought out the shaving cream again and they had so much fun. Kate decided she needed to help Carson out.Lincoln stayed away from the shaving cream. I did try to wash him off a little after his cupcake though.Our alligator pool after the kids were done with the shaving cream. The kids had a great time and it was a good close to the summer. And after the party, I headed home to finish getting ready for our new tradition, our Back to School Feast. I decorated the dining room and the table. I even set out our china. Each kid that was going back to school got a crown and goodie basket and I made a banner with our theme for the year- "Whatever work you do, do your best." Eccl 9:10. After dinner the kids played outside a bit. Carson loved Lincoln's new mower.Colton was tired.But Carolina wanted to be silly. Tuesday ended up being cloudy and cooler. So the original plan to spend all day swimming didn't work out. Jackson got to go to his school in the morning and bring in his supplies (which we ended up leaving one bag with most of his supplies at home-great start) and meet his teacher. We got there the same time as Zach so they got to go in together. And that is about the last picture I got of that event because we got in there and it was crazy with having to fill out papers here and there and pay for things and etc., all before we got to go to his classroom. So I threw my camera in my purse and never got it out again.Later that day we went to the park for a little bit. Carson and the twins came for a little bit and Leah and her kids came too. That night Amanda made us all some yummy enchiladas and then it was time to head home and get ready for the big first day of school. Jackson was excited in the morning, but Ellie was very cranky. She does not do that well in the mornings, so it will take a while for her to get adjusted. But we were ready on time and were able to get a couple pictures. First we had to drop off Jackson at his school. We don't get to go back to their classrooms, just take them into the commons area where they wait with their class until their teacher takes them back to their room.Then it was Ellie's turn. The class has a new reading loft in their room and the kids were already getting a talk on the rules for it.
Both kids had a great first day of school. The both like their teachers and their class. So far, so good. I'll be interested to see how today goes. A couple of funny quotes from Ellie- I asked her who her friends were in her class and she said Kate, our neighbor, was there, but "Briley wasn't there." She was kind of upset. Then she saw me set out a couple things of deoderant that I had just bought for Andrew and she asked, "Are those my glue sticks?" So right now it is just Lincoln and I for another hour before we pick up his sister and I think he is enjoying his alone time. Sara and her kids get in sometime today and for a few hours we will have all the sisters in town before Lissy heads back to St. Louis. Fun times.

No comments: