A couple weeks ago, we were getting ready to head out on
vacation. Much of the week was spent gathering, shopping and packing for it. We
also had a couple dentists appointments. The twins each had to get a filling on
Monday. Ellie went with me so that she could help Molly at my dad’s office (and
get some grape soda from Gina). Andrew took Jackson and Lincoln out to the
ranch to get some video footage for a kids’ bike race Andrew wants to do out
there. Now he wants Jackson to edit the footage they got to make a promotional
video. The twins did great at their appointments. I decided to not go back with
them and they said they didn’t make a peep or cry at all. So, it looks like it
is best if I just stay away. Ellie ended up staying at my dad’s office since it
was less than an hour before closing time. We picked her up later that evening
after dinner and I made my mom sit down with me to go through our grocery
order. We were doing the order for everyone and I was trying to compare prices
between Sam’s and the Publix grocery delivery. The grocery order was taking a
while and we finally gave up around 10 with just half of the order done. I
worked on it a little more when I got home and finished it up the next day. But
I wasn’t able to place the order until Friday for Saturday delivery. When I got
home Monday night, this is what was going on in my room.
I finally sent them to bed around 10:45, promising they
could finish the next morning. Jackson had a dentist appointment Wednesday
morning to get some sealants and ended up needing a small filling too. And
while he was in his appointment, I dropped Ellie by her friend, Ella’s, house
and she went with them to The Beach Ottumwa for the day. In the midst of
getting everything ready to leave, Todd’s dad, Don, passed away after a short
battle with colon cancer. We decided it would be good to go support Todd since
it was pretty much just him and his mom. Then Todd ended up asking Andrew to be
a pallbearer. So, our plans changed a little and we decided to leave Thursday evening
instead of Friday morning. I was able to get most of our packing done by
Wednesday and Andrew got our beach stuff in the bag on top of our car that
night. And since I had most of the packing done, I took the kids to Memorial
Park Thursday morning to move around a little before we started our 3-day trip
to Florida. We had mostly been to the Kiwana’s playground lately and the twins
had been eyeing Memorial Park. Plus it is a good one for the older kids. A city
crew was there putting out new mulch, but we were able to stay out of their
way. The kids had fun climbing around and then had me time them on the
“obstacle course”. I think they thought they were on American Ninja Warrior.
While I finished stuff around the house, Andrew and the
kids took Buddy to the Hound Around Hotel where he stayed while we were on
vacation. They were all sad to leave him. We all ate a quick dinner and I had
Lincoln and the twins do a quick bath and get into their pjs before we left.
Then we waited for my UPS package to show up. It was a swim strap so I could do
a stationary swim in our pool on vacation. We made our way 4 ½ hours to Mt.
Vernon, IL without stopping and got checking into our hotel our 10. They had
popcorn in the lobby, so Ellie and Jackson snagged us a few bags for a
nighttime snack and we got to bed around 11. We had to be in Louisville the
next morning at 9:30 their time, which was 8:30 our time, so I set my alarm for
4 and I wasn’t excited to see that it said the alarm was set for 4 hours and 55
minutes from then. We got on the road in good time the next morning and the
kids slept most of 3 hours it took to get to Amanda and Todd’s. When we got to
the house, Andrew left with the other guys to head to the church since they
were pall bearers and the moms and kids went a little later. They had a
visitation at the church about an hour before the funeral and were nice enough
to have food set up in the cry room and that helped keep the kids entertained.
They had a nice service for Don (although the priest did call Joy by the wrong
name) and it was followed up by the burial at a beautiful cemetery where Todd’s
sister, Angela, is buried. We went back to the house afterwards, changed, ate a
quick lunch and then headed out to Pelham, Alabama. We got in a little after 10
and got settled down. I had started feeling the twinges of the cold that
Jackson had the afternoon before, and it was in full force by morning. Andrew
got up early though and got a good ride in. He did around 34 miles at a state
park near our hotel.
We got to the Donut Hole in Inlet Beach around 2:30 and
everyone else was there except Andy’s family, Caroline’s family and Lissy. We
ate a late lunch, let the kids play with the games outside and then made our
way to our house which was just a few minutes away. It was in a little
subdivision which was actually just one small gated street, although the gate
was open until a few days into our trip. The lady that did our grocery shopping
showed up right at 4 and we were able to get in the house then and then all the
unpacking started. Amanda and I got the groceries all put away. Then Caroline
and Jared showed up with our Sam’s order, which including most of the snacks
for the kids for the beach.
Andy and Lissy flew into Panama City and they were the
last to make it, but by that evening all 37 of us were there. I was exhausted
and really wanted to sleep, but it was good to see everyone, so I stayed up and
visited for a bit. My dad got some prednisone from the pharmacy the next day,
which eventually helped. And it was helpful throughout the rest of the week as
Andrew, Amanda and Lissy came down with the cold too. So, although vacation
started out on a rough patch, the week went really well. Here are some
highlights, although I’m sure there is stuff I’ll forget.
-I was a little nervous about all of us in one house, but
it worked out really well. All the adults got to visit, the kids all got to
play with each other and we didn’t have to wonder which house they were in 😊.
Plus, it was just set up really well and fit us all comfortably and worked well
for meals. And a bonus was that it was really pretty and the walk to the beach
wasn’t too long. And had a smaller pool that was 5 feet at the deepest, so it
worked out well for the kids to do a little swimming after the beach.
-The kids had so much fun together. They were constantly
entertaining themselves. Once they figured out that the TVs weren’t going to be
on hardly at all, they found other fun things to do while we were at the beach.
There were a lot of imaginations at work, including making up their own way of
playing Monopoly.
-Jackson ventured more with the adults, although he would
randomly interact with the kids. He was spoiled as he got his own bunkroom that
had a tv on the top bunk. He had his little tv on most of the time but I think
he ended up watching news or Westerns because he didn’t have many channels. I
only asked him to clean his room once which I think he really appreciated.
-The kids had a best bunk competition again and it was
entertaining. Molly did the judging and they got points for different
categories including cleanliness, creativity and kindness while the work was
being done and to the other group. The boys had a bunk room and the girls ended
up in the “media room” where there were several couches to sleep on. The boys made their beds best they could
while the girls had to put away their blankets and sleeping bags. Then they
would set up their stuffed animals to get creativity points. Each group won a
different category so we all walked over to Rosemary Beach on of our last nights there
and Grandma and Papa bought them all some ice cream.
-Our meals worked out great this year. My parents were so
nice to go up earlier most afternoon and put out food for lunch, whether it was
stuff for sandwiches, leftovers or grilling some hamburgers and hotdogs. The
first night we just ordered out pizza for dinner. A couple nights we ventured
out to Seaside and The Hub and each family got what they wanted from the food
trucks and food stands. Then we split up the other nights between the
families-we had Italian night, Mexican night and pizza again. My parents and
our family did another beach bonfire. My dad grilled the hot dogs and then we
took all our food down to the beach. The beach chair company had chairs set up
for us. But then they didn’t show up to set up the bonfire, but thankfully the
supplies were all there. So, we set up the table they had and went ahead and
ate dinner while trying to figure out where the guy was to set up our fire. He
showed up about an hour late, but it all worked out. We had some s’mores,
sparklers, glow sticks and dancing on the beach under a full moon.
-Before our bonfire, Lissy got a chance to take another
picture with everyone in their number shirts with the addition of Emmie and
Annie. And grandbaby #22 was pretty evident in Kaitlin’s belly.
-We had some great weather. It was hot, but not terribly hot, and we generally had a decent breeze down by the water. It only rained a couple of times-the afternoon of our first day at the beach (which was okay for me since I still wasn’t feeling well and they had set up our chairs funky and we had two rows stacked right on top of each other so all I could see in the second row were the back of the chairs in front of me and I couldn’t keep an eye on the kids) and a light shower later in the week, which we were able to just stay at the beach during. The water was a little rough most days though, which ended up being a good thing. We put life jackets on the younger kids, kept our eyes on them and sent them out to play. Most of them loved it. They loved floating in on the waves, jumping the waves and learning to boogie board. The older ones loved going out further and diving into the big waves and trying to do some body surfing. Andrew joined them doing that and I went out with the twins a few times to help them catch some bigger waves on their boogie boards. It was kind of tiring as the undertow was pretty strong and you would have to fight it to help pull the kids out further out in the water. But I feel like it was one our best times at the beach. If the water was calm, the probably would have gotten bored. With the waves, they had so much fun.
-And the sand called their name as many sand castles and
villages were created.
-There were a lot of seagulls and pigeons on the beach
which provided some entertainment.
-Doing the large combined grocery orders ended up working
out pretty well. Almost daily trips to the grocery store were still required,
but at least they were smaller and we didn’t have to do the huge one when we
first got there. And thankfully, our house had enough space for all of our
food. And everyone I talked to loved sharing the cost of everything (we did it
per person) made things easier and you weren’t worried if you were eating
someone else’s food or that your kids were. Everything was just shared.
-Even though Andrew and I both got sick, we both got some
workouts in. I did a couple of runs and on one I found a street that allowed me
to run by the ocean for just a little bit. Andrew and I also went on a couple
of rides to Seaside and back and were able to claim a few QOMs/KOMs. I also
brought a swim strap that allowed me to do stationary swimming in the pool. I
did it once after my first run and it was a little harder than I thought it
would be. It was definitely easier to just swim normally in a pool. Also, it
got pretty choppy since the pool was so small. It provided entertainment for
everyone though. I only got to do it once because Jared wanted to try it out
and it broke when he pushed out to swim. I actually bought it used from Amazon
and it wasn’t in as good condition as it stated it was, so I wasn’t shocked
that it broke. And I was totally fine with others using it, but sadly it had to
be put away. I am able to return it to Amazon though.
-Overall, we had an awesome vacation. Our own kids were
pretty good with minimal fighting and complaining. They had so much fun with
all of their cousins and it is so nice to just get to hang out with everyone.
You could tell all the kids were more comfortable with everyone by the time the
week was over. The last night, Carolina wouldn’t leave Jackson alone-she had
decided it was time to annoy him a little bit 😊. The
kids all got along great too. There were, of course, a few arguments here and
there, but really they did pretty well. It was chaotic, loud, and maybe not
everyone’s idea of fun, but for us it went pretty smoothly and was an enjoyable
week before the chaos of back to school starts. God gave us a great week.
We were the first ones to leave Saturday morning-a little
after 5am. We had a pretty uneventful trip home. We stopped for lunch south of
Nashville, were in St. Louis by 5pm and home a little after 8. Andrew said he
felt it was a little easier since we were able to get back before the sun went
down, so he didn’t feel as tired. We all immediately started unpacking the car
and I put the kids in charge of cleaning it out. Andrew and Jackson got the
stuff off top and I started airing it out and trying to get the sand off of
everything and then started unpacking all the suitcases. This continued the
next morning while Andrew took the kids to pick up Buddy and out to the ranch.
The lady at the kennel told Andrew that Buddy never really got comfortable
there, so I don’t know if Andrew will let me send him back. That afternoon, Andrew
went to the office and Lincoln had Josh’s birthday party at the Country Club. I
dropped him off and then went grocery shopping to fill up our empty fridge and
pantry. I finished getting everything put away from vacation and then we
grilled steaks for dinner and ate outside since it was cooler than in our
house. Our main ac unit quit on us right before vacation and we decided to do a
big overhaul which won’t be done until next week. Fun times being a homeowner.
But, we ended our last weekend before school starts with the kids playing
outside until it was dark.



























































No comments:
Post a Comment