Well, last Monday was the big day of the solar eclipse.
We had some showers earlier in the morning but then it cleared off a bit. I
went into Lincoln’s classroom at 11 to start helping out. Another mom and I put
all the kids’ glasses into the plates and then we were supposed to take them
outside and have them practice. The teacher decided against it since it was
pretty wet outside and we just practiced in the room. Lincoln and I got to eat
lunch together and the clouds started moving in thick and the rain started
coming down again. And there was no chance of change after we got back from
lunch-it just kept raining right through when the eclipse was supposed to
happen for us. My siblings sent pictures of all of them outside with sunny
skies and their glasses on. We thought the sky got darker, but that was about
it. The teachers were scrambling trying to find live feeds to put on their
smart boards, but it wasn’t anything that kept the kids attentions and they
pretty much just played inside through all of it. Lissy did get some really
neat pictures of it in St. Louis though. When I picked up the other kids from
school, they were really bummed too.
It rained off and on throughout the day and Jackson came
home from football practice soaked. We had the K-Life Kickoff bbq that night
where they also have a big slip-n-slide, so he didn’t even mess with changing.
Andrew stayed with the rest of the kids and I took Jackson, some watermelon,
chips and utensils to the K-Life house. Since it was kind of sprinkling at the
time, all the kids were in the house and it was chaos. I didn’t see any other
board members, except one and he said he didn’t need any help with anything.
So, I checked with Laura to see what help they needed and she said they were
good, so I just came home. Our evenings are going to fill up quickly, so it was
nice to be able to go home. When Jackson came home later that evening, he said
they had had a lot of fun.
The rest of the week was pretty much business as usual,
and again, enjoying our last free evenings before more activities-soccer, dance
and also swimming now-start up over the next couple of weeks. The kids kept
working on our very modified ninja warrior course out of what we have on the swingset.
And there was some dress-up going on. Lincoln did get in a bit of trouble for
getting into our Halloween costumes though.
I put in more training as the NEMO Triathlon is coming up
on September 10th. We ordered
some “racing wheels” and some clip-on aero bars. My in-house bike man got me
all fixed up and I got to try them out a couple of times, including a ride out
at the lake with Andrew. He ended up going a few more miles on the bike than
me, so I sat and enjoyed the calming view of the lake. Also on that day, I did
my only open-water swim before the triathlon. I wanted to test out my wetsuit
again and work out any kinks. Andrew kayaked for me. But the water level was so
low, I had to stop several times and walk because it was so shallow. I also
worked a bit on revamping our room. I got new bedding and nightstands. I also
used the stick-and-peel tile to cover up our small bit of glass mosaic tile in
our bathroom. And even though we just repainted this past winter, I was never
really pleased with it and am hoping to change it again.
The twins are still liking school and I love that their
teacher sends me updates every now and then. She sent me these pictures and
told me that they were working independently for their writer’s workshop, but
they both managed to include a dog on a leash in their “story”. On Thursday, I
finally went in to get my hair cut and colored after avoiding it all summer. As
I was sitting there, waiting for Kim to mix up my color, I get a call from a
number I don’t recognize but I answer it anyways. It was the school nurse and
Miles was sick. He had actually thrown up soon after lunch. Thankfully, Andrew
was able to get him and I was able to finish my hair. But then Miles was fine
the rest of the day-didn’t act sick at all. When I picked up Bennett (whose
main concern was what Miles got to do at home while he had to stay at school. But,
his teacher was fine with Miles coming back the next day if he was actually
okay even though it wouldn’t have 24 hours since he had vomited. So, Miles went
back the next day and had no issues.
Lincoln and Andrew started flag football on Thursday and
had the first game on Friday. It was hard to watch him as he was on the other
side of the field with the first graders playing in front of him. Plus the
twins were kind of whiny after their first full week of school. But, I think he
had fun. Jackson walked over after his practice was done and he got to hang out
with Zach and Gage, who was back in town from Liberty for the afternoon. Then
they went out to eat at La Fuente with us after the game and played out in the neighborhood
until Gage’s dad picked him up later that evening.
Over the weekend, Ellie, Lincoln and the twins went to
Kansas City with my parents for Finley’s birthday party. They loved getting to
see the new house, had fun at the party and playing with their cousins at a
ropes park. Back home, Jackson enjoyed his only child status. He had dropped
his phone the previous week and it was no longer in commission, so we ordered a
refurbished one off Ebay that he paid half for and he went with me to US
Cellular to get it activated. Saturday evening, we ate dinner at Viva Italia
(we were the only ones there for a little bit) and then went out to the ranch
so Andrew could make sure none of his cows got out since they had worked them the
day before and took some of the calves. There was more rain on Sunday, but we
got to church and the store before more of it came. We found some good movies
on TV and watched those while I worked on looking for possible new studies for
our women’s bible study. The kids got home around 3 and finally the skies
cleared so they could get outside and play.













No comments:
Post a Comment