Monday, February 13, 2017

And the First One Goes Down...

Monday was back to school and the sun was shining along with some decent weather. I helped in Lincoln’s classroom in the morning. Later that day, Ellie’s teacher sent me pictures of her in the T-Rex costume that she got to wear a couple weeks earlier during recess time. She got to go around the all and visit other fourth grade rooms J.


Jackson had basketball practice after school and we took Zach and Sam too. Ellie spent the evening trying out different braids and hairstyles while the younger boys played with their Legos and had ninja battles. Andrew came home a little early and took the kids out back to play basketball while I finished getting dinner ready. And I got to work on stuff for the office. We actually had thunder and rain that night, which was kind of odd. The next day was my free morning, so I did some yoga before taking the kids to school and then did a bike ride and run before picking up the twins. Their new favorite songs are Handclap and Good to be Alive (Molly used them in one of her Disney videos and they have loved them ever since), so we had a dance party to those on repeat for a bit, then it was back to Legos. I worked on some more Valentine stuff-some stuff for the kids, the twins’ valentines and tags for teacher gifts. Ellie had basketball practice after school and she was going to stay there until I got there to work the gate, but then Sharon offered to work the gate since it was just a boys’ game and she said that Brett was going to take Ellie and Kiersten to get something to eat in between practice and the game. It was so nice of them. The girls didn’t have a game, so the boys got to play earlier. It was a close back and forth game and Jackson did a great job. It was kind of sloppy at times for the team overall, but I can see Jackson improving each game. The Hawks ended up pulling out the win in the end. 

After the game, Andrew took the kids home and I did some grocery shopping. Andrew had started not feeling good before the game and he was ready for bed when I got home. I bought some Sprite for him and offered to make him some tea, but he just wanted some Tylenol and to go to sleep. I assumed he was getting the influenza-A that has been going around, so I took some Emergen-C in hopes to keep from getting it. It hit him hard by the end of the night. He spent most of the next few days at home in bed. He tried going to the office the first morning and was home pretty soon. The next day, he had to go to court in Lewistown and I think he was counting down the minutes until he could get back to bed. I don’t remember him ever taking this much time off work except when he had his hip surgery. He was just miserable. I quarantined him to the bedroom and sprayed a bunch of Lysol. He would emerge every now and then because he wanted to see everyone or sit in the sun, but then it was back to bed. I think he was grateful when Friday came around and he knew he had the weekend to hopefully start feeling better.

Life continued on for the rest of us. The twins had a dentist appointment Wednesday afternoon to get some fillings. Neither was really wanting to go first, so I just had Miles get up and do his. I am thankful I did because he handled it better than Bennett and I think if he watched Bennett cry through his, he maybe would have done the same thing. We got done in time to pick up the kids from school. Thankfully the twins fell asleep as we were waiting in line because they were kind of grumpy after the fillings. But then I had to follow through on my promise to take them to get shakes and the others got to benefit from their misery J. Back home, it was time to work on dinner so that Ellie could eat before I took her to basketball practice at 5:15. I thought about taking all of the kids when I picked up Ellie and dropped off Lincoln so that I could work with Jackson and Ellie again and let the others play while Andrew rested, but the twins still weren’t feeling the best, so I just dropped Lincoln off and Leah was able to bring him home. Andrew finally got to claim the bed for a few nights while he was sick and I tried to stay healthy and sleep on the couch.

Thursday, the twins helped me finish up their Valentine's.

We got some special mail from the Taylors announcing their were expecting and due in September. We couldn’t say anything though, because we didn’t know when others would be getting their card. I put the card on the fridge and Ellie was the first to notice and was very excited.

Thursday night, Ellie was bummed she had to go to dance and miss the basketball game. It was another close one for the girls and it went into overtime. Andrew stayed home while I took the kids to Jackson’s game. We had to wait out in the hallway for a while and the boys’ game started probably ½ hour late. My dad was offered to pick up Ellie from dance, which was wonderful. And she got to snuggle with my mom, which my mom was so excited about ;-). It was a back and forth game, but we ended up losing by, I think, 4 points. They fought hard though.


Andrew tried going to the office for a bit on Friday and I took the kids to school, but he was home soon and back to bed. I got a run in and did some lifting and the twins made me food in the playroom and kitchen and brought it to me while I was lifting. We also had to get ready to head up to Pella the next day. I brought some stuff to clean out the car while we were waiting in the pick-up line and that worked out to be a good use of my time. When we got home after school, the kids were anxious to get outside and play. It was really nice out and they played for quite a while. Andrew did take some salt blocks out to the ranch and I think it wiped him out. He ate some dinner and went back to bed. Our neighbor brought over some more apple juice and also included some Christmas candy as a thank you for me shoveling her drive a few weeks ago J.

Saturday morning, Ellie and Lincoln both had ballgames at the Y starting at 10. Lincoln played first and then had team pictures and then Ellie played at 11. I wasn’t quite understanding Lincoln’s style of play. Sometimes he would just walk and then stand with his hands in his pockets or clasped behind his back and other times he was all over the place guarding and trying get open. Ellie improved her dribbling during her game, doing a good job keeping her head up and looking for the open person to pass too. She had a great game.


After the games, we went home, got some lunch, I finished up some laundry, told Andrew goodbye from afar and headed up to Pella to celebrate Owen’s birthday. I hadn’t seen Kaitlin’s new house, so I got the tour and it is beautiful. The kids went straight to work playing and then a couple of Owen’s friends from the neighborhood came over and we all went bowling. My kids have enjoyed bowling lately and are always up for some snacks.



Then it was back to the house to open presents, have pizza, do the piñata and eat cake. I think Owen loved his birthday party and the kids had a lot of fun together. 

We were all feeling tired though and called it a night kind of early, although the twins did come up after I had gone to sleep to let me know that one had hit the other. The next day we had a later breakfast and then started home a little after 11. I did have to take a picture of Andrew's Nacho picture that is still on display in Owen's room. :-)

Andrew was feeling somewhat better when we got home and he and Ellie went out to the ranch. I opened up the windows to air the house out and started washing all of the bedding in our room. The kids played outside for a while and Ellie and I brainstormed her Valentine box and went through our craft supplies to see what we had. She started working on paper tissue flowers while I went grocery shopping and also got her some green pipe cleaners. We finished up her box by bedtime and she was very happy with it. And I also have to mention that LIncoln's box was the easiest ever. He wanted to do Minecraft, so I suggested using one of the Minecraft cardboard heads we had used as decorations for his birthday. He liked the idea, so we just put some paper over the bottom and cut a hole in it. I asked him if he wanted to decorate at all and it was a no.


And I'm happy to report that by Sunday night, all of us but Andrew were still healthy. 

No comments: