Sunday, April 24, 2016

A Slower Week Before it Picks Up Again

Well our week didn’t start out the best. I woke up around 12:30 Sunday night to the sound of whimpering and hacking with our bathroom lights on. I went in the bathroom to find Lincoln bending over the tub, throwing up. And then after opening my eyes some more, I noticed there was a very large puddle of vomit on the floor and some on the rug. I got him to the toilet but he just threw up a little in the toilet and the rest went down the side. After he was done, we decided a shower was a good idea but then he walked through his vomit and slipped. So he got in the shower while I got to work cleaning everything.  I asked him if he threw up any upstairs and he told me that it was just in the bathroom and proceeded to point out all of the spots. Then I got hit set up to sleep on the floor of the bathroom. He ended up sleeping well the rest of the night and I eventually got back to sleep and woke up very tired. Andrew took Jackson and Ellie to school and I finally convinced myself to get a bike ride in. I had originally planned to do a brick workout but the two nights of little sleep convinced me otherwise. I have another triathlon coming up on May 1 so I need to pick up the pace.

I kept Lincoln quarantined most of the day but he definitely felt better and never threw up again. He also never had a fever. He really wanted to play with the twins but I didn’t want to risk them getting sick. I had planned to let them go outside after Jackson and Ellie got home from school and they did for a bit but it started sprinkling a bit. Jackson did get a bike ride in before the heavier rain set in. While I was making dinner we just happened to catch the beginning of The Blind Side which is a movie I have always wanted Jackson and Ellie to watch. I didn’t know if they would be too interested, but they were and they really liked it. It was still playing whenever dinner was ready so we just did picnic style in the family room so they could keep watching it.

We all slept well Monday night and everyone went to school. I worked the book fair at the twins’ school after I dropped them off and ended up buying a couple of books that they were anxious to read when we got home. And Ellie read them to them again close to bedtime.


Wednesday night we had our last small group of the year besides our barbecue. Tyler is heading to Jefferson City for his new job the next week and baseball practices are starting up. Andrew and Joe already missed this week since the boys had practice at the same time. Although it is nice to get a break from hosting it and organizing everything, I will also miss seeing everyone. And since it was our last week with the sitters we made some cookies to thank them. We wouldn’t be able to do it without them so we are very appreciative! Thursday was a rainy day. We needed the rain, so that was fine. We did get several rainbows that evening. On one of them, Bennett was so excited to show Ellie and kept yelling for her, “Ellie you have to come here. You have to come see this rainbow.”

We decided last minute during dinner Thursday evening that I would take Jackson and Ellie to the aquatic center to just get used to swimming again before their triathlon. We left around 6:30 and they closed at 7. What I didn’t know was that they actually kick you out of the pool at 6:50, so they got probably less than 10 minutes in the pool but I guess it was something. I was just disappointed that I used two punch passes to get them in.


Friday morning I did a brick workout on the bike and treadmill and then we went by the school to drop off Lincoln’s lunch box that he forgot at home. They had us just take it to his classroom and saw his teacher in the hallway. She told the twins hi and they responded with one of them burping-lovely. Lincoln wasn’t in his classroom, so we just sat his lunchbox with the others and went back out to the car. Our next stop was Sherwin Williams to pick up some paint samples to pick out a color for the kitchen/dining/living room area when we do the remodel. I called them earlier to have them mix them up for me so we didn’t have to wait too long. It worked out perfectly and the twins were excited to help me carry them out. That night I made spaghetti for dinner-carb loading for Jackson and Ellie for their triathlon J. Actually they all like it and were excited. Andrew took the kids outside to play catch while I cleaned up dinner. He had Jackson working with Lincoln while he played with Ellie. Then it was time to come inside and get everything prepped for the triathlon. They got their bags packed with their helmets, goggles, towels, water bottles and change of clothes and then it was time for bed.

The next morning when I went to wake them up, Ellie hid under her covers because she didn’t want to do the triathlon. She was on board at the beginning but didn’t want to do it the closer we got to it. You could tell she and Jackson were nervous as it got closer. Jackson just kept taking deep breaths and would put on this nervous grin. We all loaded up and went to the aquatic center where they set up their bikes in the parking lot. I helped Ellie set up her clothes in the women’s locker while Andrew helped Jackson on the other side. They got to get in and swim a warmup for a little bit before it was time to start. They had probably double the number of participants they had last year which was great. Jackson and Ellie were in the same age group, 8-12, but they did divide them up boys and girls and had 10/11 in each group. They had to swim 75 yards, bike 2 miles and run 1 mile. Jackson was up before Ellie and did a great job on the swim finishing second in his group. Andrew and the twins went out with him to watch him take off on the bike while the rest of us (my parents came too) waited for Ellie to swim. They divided up her group into two separate ones and she finished the swim first for her group. I went through the locker room with her and helped her get changed. Her competitive edge came out when she saw some girls who finished the swim after her came through the locker room and she thought they were going to get out on their bikes first. The transitions were included in the time, so decided to forgo her socks and almost didn’t put on her shorts, but decided to at the last minute. Jackson got back from his bike a little after Ellie went out and he was off on his run. They both finished well and we were so proud of them. And the bonus was that Ellie didn’t throw up this time and in the end she was happy she did it. Jackson loved it and kept saying, “That was a great race.” We stuck around for the awards ceremony because they thought they may get something. We didn’t realize that they were only going two deep though with each age group. Jackson got third and Ellie wasn’t quite sure but then when they announced the girl that got second, Ellie swore she finished before her. They both finished right by each other so I figured she must have beat Ellie by just a second. Later that day they emailed us the final results and Ellie actually did get second. She was so bummed she missed out on the medal but we tried to convince her the medal wasn’t a big deal. And as of right now, they are both excited for next year.




















When we got home, Andrew took Lincoln to baseball practice and then went out for a bike ride while I worked on stuff around the house and Ellie and the twins enjoyed some popsicles. 


Our neighborhood was having a garage sale, so I didn’t let the twins venture outside while it was busy since there were a lot of cars going up and down the street. The others were in and out checking stuff out. I was able to knock some stuff off my to-do list, which was great. I cleaned off our table outside and let it dry before I put a couple coats of sealer on it. I got out the new outdoor curtains that I was able to get on clearance last fall to put up. Our old curtains were just some makeshift ones I had made and I sewed chains into the bottom of them to help weigh them down. So I was able to get the chain out of those, rip out a little bit of the bottom hem on the new ones and put the chain down into the hem. Then I just tacked each end of the chain into the hem. I had an extra curtain though so I was going to have to get more chain. Then when Andrew got home from his ride, he took the boys out to the ranch while Ellie stayed home with me. I put up the curtains I had finished, finished up some laundry and then Ellie and went out to run some errands. We picked up another sample of paint at Sherwin Williams and did some grocery shopping at Aldi and Wal-Mart. I also got some hostas and items to stake one of our trees. Then we went to Home Depot and got a piece of chain cut and then picked up a few rhodendrons. Andrew and the boys got home just before we did and it was dinner time. I thought they were going to be out there a bit longer so I wasn’t quite ready. I put the chicken in the marinade the day before but had to get the veggies ready and in the oven. So Andrew decided to mow before he grilled and I got everything else ready. It was a beautiful day so we enjoyed dinner outside.


Andrew and Jackson went turkey hunting Sunday morning so Ellie and I Chromecasted our church’s live broadcast. Later that day after Jackson and Andrew got home, they played ball for a bit and then Jackson and Ellie went with Andrew to get some mulch. I put out the remainder of the weed fabric for our new landscaping area on the side of the house and started planting the hostas and rhondendrons while they all unloaded all the bags of mulch and spread them out everywhere-child labor J. Lincoln was out playing at the time, so when he showed up I had him take buckets of leftover dirt from planting and dump them in the brush out back. Even the twins helped with carrying the new plants to the side of the house.  After they were done with the mulch, Andrew helped me finish planting.

Andrew and Jackson ended up going back to Home Depot to get more bags of mulch and picked up some drinks at Sonic. While they were gone, I cleaned out the garage and my car while the twins cleaned their four wheelers. They were riding their four wheelers all around and at one point I noticed a chunk of the stone from our house sitting on the sidewalk and all Bennett had to say for it was, “I sorry.”



And a funny story about Buddy. He was whining at the front door so I assumed he saw Daisy outside. But I didn’t see Daisy in their front yard so I thought Buddy may just need to go pee so I opened the door to let her out and there was Daisy-she came over to see if her friend could play. So no wonder Buddy was whining, Daisy was right outside.



That evening Andrew grilled hamburgers while I got the rest of dinner ready and we enjoyed another meal outside. The kids enjoyed their last bits of playing before needing to go inside and get ready for the new school week. I spent a little bit of time working on my transitions for the TriZou making sure I have everything the way I need it. By the end of the day, we were all tired from a great weekend with a few sunburns creeping in and  ready to get some sleep.

No comments: