Some highlights of the week…
Some of Buddy’s victims of the week-our wall that had a
bit of drywall knocked out and Buddy decided he needed to take some more out.
Then there is Benny the Bull who is now deflated with some holes in him. And
finally, Andrew’s check from selling calves that I had sitting on the counter
getting ready to take to the bank. It got knocked off when Lincoln was doing
homework and Buddy got to it before I could.
Andrew and I went to a K-Life board meeting Monday night
to discuss hiring a new area director. Sadly, Kevin and Chelsea are moving on.
They are going to be assistant directors at K-West which they will be great at,
but we are sad to see them go. We had to leave before the meeting was over
though so I could get Ellie to tumbling.
We have had a lot of early dinners with multiple things
going on every night-basketball practices, dance, gymnastics, meetings, etc. I
went to the first TriFAHL seminar Tuesday night. They were going to be
discussing how it will run this year so I wanted to see if there was anything
new. Even though there has been a lot of interest in the event, no one else
came to the meeting. I felt so bad for the girl who organized it all. She did a
quick run through of her presentation for me but it didn’t seem like much would
be changing from last time.
I got some of my start of a new year items crossed of my
list. I ordered the blog book for this blog from last year and made Blu Rays of
all of our personal videos from last year. I made one copy to keep with all of
our videos and another one to put in the safe. I also put up our Valentine’s
decorations. And I still kept plugging away with my triathlon training-all
indoors. I did my longest ride I have done on the trainer which was just 20
miles. And the kids were excited I had homemade cookies for them on day after
school-those aren’t good for my triathlon training.
The twins spent a lot of time playing with their cars,
trains and boats. I love to listen to their conversations while they are
playing and imagining. They do talk about going to Home Depot al lot J. They also got to have
me swipe their cheeks to collect saliva for a zygosity test for the twin study
they were a part of.
Lincoln was preparing for the 100th day of
school this past week. He had to bring a bag of 100 items with some clues on
the bag of what was inside. He chose to do Skittles and his siblings were happy
that there were more than 100 in the bag that we bought. On the 100th
day of school they had a hoe down and all the kindergartners got to dress up in
their western wear. The same day was Pajama Day at Faith Lutheran as they
celebrated Lutheran Schools Week.
After school on Friday Lincoln casually mentioned that he
got to take a picture with a trophy and come to find out he won the Caught
Being Good award for kindergarten boys for January. And then I was reading
Ellie’s class newsletter and saw that she was one of two kids in her class that
are now Math Masters completing all of her facts for addition, subtraction,
multiplication and division. So they both had a great week. Lincoln also
brought home this sweet paper that said, “My dream is that we raise money for
others.”
Friday evening Ellie and I drove up to Queen City because
her jazz class was performing at half-time of the Schuyler County boys
Courtwarming game. I didn’t get any pictures though. They were broadcasting the
game on tvs in the cafeteria, so I thought I would just stay there and watch
the performance since the gym was already packed. But then they shut the
cameras off during half-time so I went in to the gym and stood with the crowd
on the side. I was able to see Ellie some of the time through a small window in
the crowd. I love watching her perform because she had the biggest smile on her
face and seemed to be enjoying herself.
Saturday was all about basketball. Ellie had her game at
10. I worked with her before on the correct way to play defense (they all like
to play with their back to their opponent) and she did a great job with it. She
ended up guarding a couple taller fourth grade boys and she was disappointed
they got by her a few times and scored. So she wasn’t happy with her
performance even though we tried to encourage her. She went out back to
practice when we got home. Lincoln had his game at 2 and Jackson’s was at 2:15,
so Andrew took Jackson while I took the other kids to Lincoln’s game. The
kindergarten games are always entertaining and Lincoln keeps that true. He
scored a couple of baskets but then came out of the game with a hurt pinky. I
think it got overextended but his coaches were worried and thought he may have
broke his pinkie because it was crooked J.
He sat out for a bit but when I told him the game was almost over, he went back
over by his coach to get put in one last time.
Jackson’s team won their first game. They were running a little
behind so we were able to get there in good time for his second game. He did a
great job defensively and got several steals. It was fun to see his improvement
and gained confidence over the last several weeks. And the younger kids decided it was time to learn how to run the scorers table :-).
After the game we headed home and I made spaghetti for
dinner so Andrew could have his pasta before his big race. Then I did some
grocery shopping and met Andrew and the kids along with Buddy at my parents’
house later. Since we had to leave early the next morning we all thought it
would be easier if the kids just stayed the night instead of bringing them over
early in the morning. We got to Rocheport the next morning around 9 for the
Rocheport Roubaix. Andrew had originally signed up for the 67 mile race which was
then rerouted to a 68 mile race but decided to go down to the 50 mile race
after hearing about some of the conditions on the longer route. He was just
doing it with his road bike instead of a gravel or cycle cross bike which are
better adapted to riding in those conditions. He got his timing chip and bib
then got everything ready before we watched the longer distance race start.
Then Andrew did a warm up ride before it was his turn to get to the starting
line and they were off.
While he was racing I did some shopping. I just ran by a
couple stores and got a quick bite at Panera before heading back to Rocheport.
I was live tracking Andrew so I was able to know when he would be getting close
to the finish line. His final time was 3 hours and 26 minutes which put him in
10th place out of 54 people in his distance which was awesome. He
was 7th place in his age group with the top three finishers being in
the same age group. I was so proud of him. He said it was not much fun though
because the gravel roads were pretty muddy and his bike showed it. It was a
mess. He appreciated the advantages he had on the paved sections but his bike
definitely wasn’t suited for the gravel parts. I guess he was close to losing
control a few times when the gravel was larger. And he was one of the few
people that were using a normal road bike. After getting his timing
information, he grabbed a bowl of chili that they were offering to the racers
for free at their little restaurant and then we headed back to the car and back
home to Kirksville. Andrew immediately went to work cleaning his bike while I
changed out some laundry and then went to my parents. Along with watching our
kids, they had dinner for us too. We are spoiled J.













No comments:
Post a Comment