Sunday, December 14, 2014

Happy 3rd Birthday Miles & Bennett!

Well Lincoln started feeling better Monday afternoon so he was still able to go to his Christmas program that night.  First he helped me finish the packing for the kids and then for Andrew and I. Then after Jackson and Ellie got home, they all helped me outside. Jackson was in charge of scraping up the mud from Andrew’s truck in the driveway while Ellie and Lincoln helped me clean out the car and then the garage.  Then it was time to start getting things ready for the program.  Lincoln loves getting dressed up right now in “fancy” clothes and his “fancy” shoes.  So he got ready first and then we had some random leftovers and a meat and cheese tray for dinner before we headed to the program.  Miles and Bennett brought their Polar Express tickets down with them from their naps and Bennett was upset that he was messed up. So I gave them a couple extra that I had but they wanted me to punch holes in them again and then they were happy.  They even brought them with them to the program.  It was very unusual to get to the school and the parking lot was almost empty.  They ended up just doing the Pre-K classes in one program this year instead of adding in the younger preschool classes too.  That really cut down on the crowd and it was easier to see the kids.  When I dropped him off at his classroom, Lincoln’s teachers were happy to see him.  He wanted three hugs and three kisses and then I was on my way.  The actual program wasn’t too long but the wait before, plus the extra singing, a couple instrumental solos from some of the older kids and a few other things made it a little long for the twins. My dad had to go make a call and ran out to his car and came back with some Skittles which kept them quiet for a little bit.  Then they sprawled out in the aisle and Miles wouldn’t come back in when the program started.  The kids walked down the aisle to the front and one of the girls had a very full tulle dress on that hit Miles in the face as she was walking down.  It was kind of funny since he was being so stubborn about moving. But Lincoln did a great job-much better than last year when he sat on his teacher’s lap the whole time. He sang all of the songs, did the motions and even gave us a smile every now and then.  You would have never guessed he didn’t feel good earlier in the day.  Then after the program he got to go downstairs and get a cupcake and an ornament and then we headed home. 






Andrew got the kids to bed and I finished up some last minute things with getting one more load of laundry done, finishing the packing and making sure everything was ready to go for the next morning.  Lincoln came in to sleep with me around 5 and I guess he came down to give Andrew a hug around 2 in the morning.  My parents came over around 6:30 as the kids were getting up.  I breakfast ready for some of them, we did our goodbyes and then we were on our way.  Leah was able to take Jackson and Ellie to school while Annie took Lincoln and brought him home which worked out well for my parents.  Andrew had a couple appointments the day before the surgery at the hospital so we did those first.  We hoped to have a good break in between them so we could eat lunch on The Hill but we ended up only having an hour so we had to just eat at the cafeteria. Definitely not as good. But everything went smoothly with his appointments, then we went to a few stores and then to Sara’s house.  Sara was leaving to take Bella to dance class when we got there so we got to hang to out with Lissy, Brady and Charlotte.  Brady entertained us with his drawings and playing with the Christmas tree.  Sara was so excited. So we got to sit and visit with them for a little bit and then we met up with them, Ryan and Heidi and her family for dinner at a Mexican restaurant.  It was great to see Heidi again and catch up quickly. But everyone had to get home since the kids had school the next day and so Andrew and I headed to our hotel.  We decided to just stay down by the hospital instead of trying to deal with traffic the next morning.

We had to be at the hospital at 8 and then we waited in the registration area for about an hour before going up to pre-op. Our pre-op nurse was getting into cycling and triathlons so we talked about that quite a bit.  A fellow working with the surgeon stopped by to go over some things with us.  He asked if Andrew had taken the naproxen that day and explained that he needed to continue to take it after the surgery along with the pain medication they would be prescribing.  He said some about the naproxen and bone growth so I just had to ask what that was all about.  I was wondering why they had him taking it before surgery and for a couple weeks after.  He said I am the first one to ever ask that question which Andrew found entertaining since he jokes that I ask too many questions.  But they use to help prevent a process called heterotropic ossification in which little bone fragments from the shaving process are left behind in the soft tissue and more bone can start to grow.  I thought it was pretty neat.  But on to the surgery.  Everything went really smoothly and he headed back to surgery a little after 10.  I brought a bunch of stuff to work on including some Christmas stuff and since the twins’ third birthday is coming up it is time to answer questions for the study they are a part of.  I got a notification that they had started surgery around 10: 30. Then Lissy stopped by and brought me lunch from Cheesecake Factory which was awesome, plus it was nice to chat with her for a bit too.  Around 1:15, I was notified that they were out of surgery and the doctor wanted to talk to me on the phone.  He said that they had to repair some cartilage and a labral tear.  They did take off quite a bit of bone on the femoral head to make it the right shape and also removed an old, small fractured piece of bone from the rim of the socket and smoothed the rim out.  He said everything went well which was great. So I think they had to do a little more than what they thought they were going to but it sounds like he should have an awesome hip now J. I got to go up and stay with him in recovery after about an hour. He was still pretty out of it and was shaking.  It took him about a 1 ½ hours before he was coherent again.  And even then he still had trouble remembering what we had talked about or focusing on things. And things were also confusing with the nurses and what all was expected of us for discharge and recovery.  Our first nurse actually didn’t work in the recovery area so she wasn’t too sure about what all we were supposed to do. There was confusion about if we could take his sutures out on our own or had to come back in two weeks for it, whether we needed an ice machine and where it was, whether we need to use a machine to prevent blood clots or another machine to get Andrew moving his legs.  After all of it was said he done, we were given a suture removal kit so we could do it ourselves, we got the ice machine to use for the next week or so, and they really don’t use the other two machines that often even though the original packet we were given before the surgery said we would have them.  Then they remembered last minute that he needed an x-ray before we left too.  Andrew was doing pretty well though once he finally came around. We didn’t actually leave the hospital until around 5:30 which was great timing for rush hour traffic out of downtown St. Louis. And I am definitely not the best driver for all of that.  But we eventually got on the interstate and sat there for a while off and on. We talked about stopping in Troy to get some gas and food and let Andrew stretch but he was out at that point so I kept going. He woke up after over an hour of good sleep.  I even took a couple of phone calls and he had no idea anyone had called.  We stopped a little before Hannibal to fill up because I knew the gas station was easy to get to and had a nice open parking lot which I thought may be beneficial to Andrew. So he got out for a bit and even made it to the restroom.  Then we just drove through Wendy’s in Hannibal to grab something to eat.  We made it home a little after nine and my parents and Molly were there with the kids waiting on us. They had them all ready for bed.  They helped us get everything into the house, put the car seats back in our car and even put the kids to bed while I got things situated for Andrew.  And while we were gone, Michele came and cleaned since I had one more gift certificate to use this year from Christmas last year. So it was so wonderful to come home to a clean house with the kids all ready to go.  The help we got from everyone-from taking care of our kids, to taking them and picking them up from school, to hiding our packages on our porch, to bringing our trash cans up, etc…it was all so appreciated. Molly and my parents left around 9:30 or so and after getting stuff put away and organized from being gone and getting Andrew ready for bed we finally settled down around 11. I had everything ready for him to sleep in the bed but then he decided he wanted to sleep on the couch.  So we had to cover that up because he was bleeding through his wound dressing and his pants but he didn’t want to change it yet. I thought I had some large gauze pads but I didn’t, so I just taped a washcloth over the dressing that was already there to hopefully soak up some of the blood.

I guess he didn’t have the best night because he was up a lot going to the bathroom.  I heard him a little but I didn’t realize he got up that much.  But we were all up early the next morning to get ready for school. I made sure Andrew had his medicine before we left and then I got the kids off to school.  After we dropped off Lincoln (who told his teachers that his dad was sick and had to use “crunches”) I ran by the office so that I could pick up all the phone messages that had come in so far and pay Molly’s friends for the time they spent at the office.  And while we were driving back and forth I realized I still had not ordered cupcakes for the twins’ birthday on Saturday so I got that done.  We were able to make it home for a little bit so I could change Andrew’s dressing, get him situated in the bedroom so that the twins couldn’t bother him and get him set up with the ice machine so it could run for a little while before we had to leave for Ellie’s Christmas program at school.  I told the twins that we were going to Ellie’s school to watch her sing and they had to be quiet.  They said okay and then Bennett put his finger to his mouth and said, “Sshhh.”  At least they partly understood.  They weren’t horrible but they weren’t the best either.  Mary, my mom and Molly came to watch the program too and I had called my mom before to see if she had any Smarties, so she rescued me there.  They did entertain the twins a little bit.  The second graders had a cute program called “Christmas at the OK Corral” so Ellie dressed up like a cowgirl.  For some reason she actually didn’t smile too much but I finally got a couple with her beautiful smile.  And thankfully we were done by 10:30 or so.



We picked up Lincoln a little early and they were just heading out to the playground.  They had not been able to go out and play for a while so he was upset that I was early. But he was happy that I stopped and picked up some McDonalds for them and then I made some pasta for Andrew and I.  I put the twins down at their usual time for naps so that they would still be asleep when I needed to pick up Jackson and Ellie from school and I could leave them at home with Andrew without them causing any problems.  While we were gone Andrew actually got himself ready to go to physical therapy. He can’t really bend over at all so that is quite a feat. We have all helped at times with helping him get pants and shoes on J.  The twins were still napping so I left Jackson and Ellie at home with them while Lincoln and I took Andrew to physical therapy.  Once we got him situated, we headed home and then picked him up a little later. He really wasn’t looking forward to doing it because anytime he moved it hurt and he knew it would involve more movement. But he definitely needed to do it to help get things moving. He said his brain would tell his leg to move but it wouldn’t do anything. I think he was pretty sore after he was done so I got him set up with his ice machine and started heating up the dinner that Kristin had brought us earlier. Our small group was kind enough to set up a meal calendar for us even though I resisted. I know everyone is busy this time of year and I had made freezer meals to help get us through this time, but they insisted. And my mom keeps asking if I want them to take the kids. But we are doing pretty well.  Things are crazy, not in a bad way but just like a whirlwind of activity. From making sure Andrew is taking his meds at the right time, has food and drink, setting him up with the ice machine, changing his dressing, making sure the floor is clear of anything that could trip him and just making sure he has everything he needs plus taking care of everything with the house and kids, makes for a very busy day

Andrew came out of the bedroom a little while after we ate dinner and he had some too.  Then he sat out in the family room for a while. I think he gets pretty bored in the bedroom by himself.  And the kids enjoy seeing him too. I cleaned up from dinner, bathed the kids and got their clean laundry upstairs for them to put away.  I tried to convince Andrew to try to sleep in the bed again but he opted for the couch.  So I moved his toilet seat (and then I have to move it back to the master bath during the day J) and got him all situated out there.  But even with all that I do, he still tries to help himself out.  Early in the morning he got himself an ice bag and made some coffee.  I got up early and got a bike ride in and then got the twins ready for the day.  I took them with me to take Jackson and Ellie to school and let Lincoln stay at home with Andrew.  I figured Lincoln may like to have some time to play by himself without worrying about fighting with the twins and Andrew would enjoy the quiet without all the screaming that comes with the fighting.  After we dropped the kids off, I ran by the accountants and then headed home.  Andrew decided he wanted to try to get on the bike when I got home.  He wouldn’t be going back to physical therapy until Tuesday so he needed to do something.  They also gave him some exercises to do. The best way we could figure out for him to get on the bike was to climb up onto the hope chest we have beside the bike so that he could sit on the seat and then swing his left leg around.  It actually worked and he spent about 10 minutes on the bike. 
 
I needed to get some more ice for the machine after he was done so I just left the kids here (actually Lincoln had gone over to Alex’s to play at this point) while I made a quick trip to Dollar General to pick up some. But I guess in the little bit of time I was gone, one of the twins had to poop and Andrew managed to take care of wiping him. I think he was thinking the timing wasn’t that great on that one.  But I did get him set up with the ice machine and then got busy with getting some stuff done around the house including decorating for the twins’ birthday party.  I decided to just go ahead and use the same theme as last year to keep things simple.  And I didn’t use everything I had for last year so that there wasn’t as much to take down afterwards.  And the kids entertained themselves by playing with Andrew’s crutches while the twins are very into their dump trucks and track hoes these past few days. 
 



That evening the Heerens ordered pizza for us which was so nice.  After we ate, I made sure Andrew was good to go then loaded up the kids and headed to my parents house.  I thought it would be good to get them out of the house for a bit and let Andrew have some peace and quiet.  Then I made a quick trip to Walmart to pick up cupcakes for the twins’ birthday the next day and a few other things.  Ellie went with me because she needed to pick out a gift for her Secret Santa at school.  The hard thing was that it had to be only one dollar.  Ellie insisted we go to the Dollar Tree and I think she was a tad bit disappointed with what she could get for $1. After quite a bit of browsing I had to give her a time limit and she ended up choosing a ribbon wand which I thought was a good choice. So we headed back to my parents to pick up the other kids and head home. I got the kids to bed, Andrew all situated and then went to bed. 

Andrew was determined to go to work the next morning. I think he was getting pretty anxious about no one being at the office.  I wouldn’t let him drive since he was still taking his pain meds, so he worked his way around it. He took his medicine with him to the office so he would take it while he was there and then wait the four hours before the next dose was due before he came home. When he got home he did the bike, finally got to take a shower and then did his PT exercises.  He was wiped out after that!  He slept until party time but he got up just in time and actually shaved. I spent the day getting stuff cleaned and ready for the party and working a little on some more Christmas projects.  The kids played with their friends and doing some craft projects.  Ellie made some thank you cards to send to my Grandpa Mike and Karen and then she and Lincoln worked on some Christmas shrink dinks. Lincoln colored his but abandoned Ellie on the cutting part to go play with Alex.  But Ellie got them all cut out and then we put them in the oven.  It is always fun for them to watch them shrink down.  They were supposed to be ornaments that went on a piper cleaner tree that Ellie started to put together but didn’t have time to finish it before the party.

A little over an hour before the party started I went upstairs and turned off the twins’ noisemaker in their room to wake them up.  Bennett was the first up and he was excited to finally get a cupcake.  He gave me a little smile for a picture and finally Miles came down right before the party.  He was a tired boy and wasn’t too excited about getting his picture either.  I wasn’t successful at getting one of them together until after the party.   We just ordered pizza and tried to keep things pretty simple since other things were hectic at this time. As we were eating Bennett spent most of the time crying because he wanted a cupcake. But then it was time for presents so his attention was diverted. Opening the presents was just pure chaos. One of the first presents the twins opened were some remote-controlled Thomas trains so they weren’t too interested in opening the others. But they didn’t need to worry because their siblings and cousins helped them out.  Then my dad and Molly took charge of getting the toys out of the boxes and batteries in. And then it took some convincing to get them to move onto the cupcakes-after all of that crying before.  But again, they were good to go after they realized what was happening and they even blew out their candle-first time for both of them.  But then it was time for everyone to head home. The after-party was a little different than usual. Andrew usually does baths and gets the kids to bed while I clean but it was all up to me this time.  It went pretty smoothly though. I bathed the kids first and let them play with the new toys while I took down the decorations and cleaned up. So they went to bed kind of late but it wasn’t a bad thing since they were traveling to St. Louis the next day with my parents so there was hope they would sleep in the car for them.























Our world certainly changed for the better when these two boys made a speedy entry into our world three years ago.  I never imagined I would ever have twins but I wouldn’t have it any other way! They definitely challenge me with their stubbornness, feisty attitude and fighting but I wake up every morning excited to see their smiles and to feel their hugs.  They may fight quite a bit (and they can get pretty intense J) but they also watch out for each other and take care of each other which is so much fun to watch. Their conversations crack me up at times-some of it I don’t understand and other times I am impressed with their vocabulary. It has been a joy watching them grow from tiny babies to toddlers and I am excited to watch them grow into little boys.

Andrew headed to the office again Sunday morning while I got up and got the kids ready to go.  Everyone but Jackson got to go but he seemed to be okay with it. He enjoys having some time at home by himself.  So he was at a sleepover at a neighbor’s house.  The other ones had to be ready to go by 7:30 and my parents were even a little early. But I think they were on the road just a little after 7:30. I got a quick bike ride in before I needed to get ready for church while Jackson got home about 20 minutes before we needed to leave.  After church we did some quick grocery shopping.  He fell back into helper mode pretty easily-got the cart for me and pushed it around, found a few items for me and helped me scan things at Wal-Mart. Then we stopped by Andrew’s office and brought him some donuts and I also surprised with a new hoodie that they were selling at church.  He said he just had to finish up something and then he was ready to call it a day and head home to rest.

After lunch I finished up the last of my wrapping I had to do and then worked on teacher gifts. I did the same thing that I did last year (fleece blankets and a Starbucks gift card) and they were pretty simple to put together.  Jackson worked on putting together one of Miles and Bennett’s toys from their birthday. It actually took him about an hour to do it, but he stuck with it and finished it for me.

Andrew really wanted me to watching a French movie with him, Amelie. It was a bit of an odd movie but he liked it. I worked on paying bills and few other things while we watched the movie but it had subtitles so I did have to keep my eyes on the screen. Jackson spent some time outside with his friends playing at their fort. It was actually almost 60 degrees outside which was great. He came inside at one point to get his light saber.  Then that night, some friends from our small group, Tyler and Danielle, brought a delicious dinner by for us.  We are so spoiled.  So we ate it and watched Catching Fire. We got get it free on Amazon and Jackson was wanting to see it. I worked on designing some tags for Ellie’s class Christmas party favors I signed up to bring.  I decided to do little bags with Snowman Peeps, graham crackers and chocolate with a tag that says “Frosty the S’mores Man was a jolly happy soul.” Andrew ended up going into the bedroom to rest and ice his hip again. After the movie I made a quick trip to Hy-Vee to pick up some cupcakes and drinks since we were having Andrew’s family in for Mary’s birthday the next day-yes the marathon of birthdays continues.

And while we enjoyed a quiet, productive day our other kids were having fun with their cousins.  First up was Charlotte’s baptism and then they got to go on the Polar Express at Union Station.  I got a few pictures from my mom and Lissy said that they loved it.  They are getting back late tonight so I am anxious to hear all about it tomorrow. It was so nice of my parents to take them!






No comments: