Sunday, August 25, 2013

Back To School

Yet again, I kept meaning to get this blog post done but it just never happened.  So here is a rundown of what we have been up to since our last post.  Our summer ended and school began.  We had some friends over for a swim date at my parents, celebrated with our back-to-school dinner and enjoyed playing outside until dark.  This included meeting our new neighbors across the street who happen to have 7-week-old identical twin boys and a 7-year-old boy. Then it was time to meet the kids’ new teachers.  They all had meet-the-teacher events the day before school and I just took them each individually while Andrew stayed with the other kids.  If you haven’t heard, the twins are kind of a handful these days.  Ellie’s was that afternoon and Jackson and Lincoln had them that evening.  Jackson is heading to a new school this year, Ray Miller Elementary.  I think I had only been in the school once and didn’t find it very inviting when I took Jackson to meet his teacher.  Jackson, however, has decided that it is favorite school so far.  He has Mrs. Hanley.  Her son and Lissy were good friends in high school and she seems nice.  She is actually going to be gone the first month though for some medical leave.  Ellie was excited because she has our cousin, Lori Ann.  It will definitely be a great year for Ellie.  And Lincoln has Grandma Jane and Mrs. Eagen.  He had Grandma Jane last year too and was happy for her to be his teacher again.  He is missing some of his old friends, but still seems to have enjoyed it so far.  The first day of school went pretty smoothly.  I thought we may be late, but we weren’t.  Everyone remembered their backpacks and lunch boxes and we got a few pictures.  I haven’t been sad about any of it (except for summer seeming too short) but watching Jackson walk into Ray Miller made me sad.  He used to turn around and wave at me again as he was walking into the Primary and I guess he is too cool for that now L. 


















Another fun event during the last couple of weeks is that Annie and her girls came to visit for a few days.  We had pizza with them at our house one night and the kids enjoyed playing late with all the toys.  Then Lauren got to spend the night.  They were able to complete their checklist for the night, so I think it was a success-a craft, popcorn, and Teen Beach Movie.  Then Andrew took them out to the ranch the next day.  Granny kept them busy with donuts in Winigan, slip-n-slides, water gun fights, and more.  Andrew did some work with his cattle and helped the rest of them hay a bit.  The twins and I met them out there that evening and had dinner.  Then it was time for some horse rides and such.  And we got to enjoy one more night with them when Matthew and Kristin had us all out for dinner Tuesday night.  They got out the slip-n-slides again and had a great time.  Andrew was already out there since he went out during the afternoon to do some more haying.










Annie and the girls headed home Wednesday morning, but we had more excitement as I received a text from my mom that Autumn was in labor and they were heading to Kansas City.  Kaitlin and her kids had just gotten into town the day before, so they went with them.  Then Andy and Autumn welcomed sweet Finley Grace into the world that afternoon.  We were all excited for another little girl J.  We got to meet Finley this weekend.  Ellie, Lincoln, the twins and I headed to Kansas City Saturday morning.  Andrew was working cattle Saturday morning and wasn’t able to come.  We gave Jackson the choice of whether to come or not and he actually struggled with the decision.  (Have I mentioned what a great kid he has been lately?  I know I have but I also know I have also talked about being frustrated with him in the past so I have to give him some credit now-he is up and ready early for school, chores done, offers to help me out, a great help with some things like the twins, like getting them out to the care and such, and still gives me hugs and says he loves me) He decided to stay behind with Andrew since he would be home alone.  He and Andrew kept busy working at the ranch on Saturday and, of course, got some Mexican for dinner that night.  Andrew also did a little biking and running.  He officially signed up for the NEMO Triathlon which is in two weeks.  He has been working hard and doing an awesome job.   He has also had some weight loss as an additional perk to the training.  And I forgot to mention a funny thing (well not really) that happened on one of his bike rides a while back.  He was riding over on 6 by Thousand Hills and a big truck came up on him and next thing he knows a McDonalds sack went flying by.  They threw their trash at him!  He really wishes he could have done something, but they were much faster than him of course.

And I kept busy with the kids at Andy and Autumn’s.  They kept busy playing most of the time and also got some swim time in at the hotel pool.  And everyone got to enjoy the fights and ear-piercing screams between Miles and Bennett.  We also got to enjoy some time holding Finley and she was just precious.  The night in the hotel wasn’t the bes.  It took a while for me to get Ellie and Lincoln settled down first and then it was on to the twins who kept throwing all of their stuff out of their pack-n-plays.  Then thetwins would randomly get angry though out the night and scream out.  But I think I got more sleep than Andy and Autumn as Finley decided she liked the thought of being held all the time.





Now it is time to get ready for another school week.  We start up a few activities this week including small group and football.  I’m not quite ready for all of it to begin.  But it is, so I better find a way to enjoy all the busyness somewhat J

No comments: