Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Staying Busy

Last week was another busy one for us. Thankfully things slow down a little in July. We are still trying to keep up with the summer schedule and the kids are good at remembering what each day is and what we are doing for that day. For Make Something Monday we made bookmarks and then Ellie and Jackson both had ball games that night. I watched Jackson this time with the twins while Andrew took Lincoln and watched Ellie. They have both improved this year and have enjoyed their seasons. On Tuesday, we went to the library again and picked out a few more books. And then for What's Cooking Wednesday, we made some cookies that didn't turn our quite right. I thought it was because I let the butter get too soft, but after making a second batch the next day I figured out what was wrong. I have made these many times before and never had any problems. It was after I was taking the dishes out of the dishwasher that I noticed I had used a 1 3/4 cup measuring cup for the flour when I was supposed to be using a 2 cup one. With the second batch I made, I just took everything out of the dishwasher and just used it all again without noticing that the measuring cup was wrong. They still tasted good though and one batch went to the pool with us and the second ones Ellie took over to our new neighbors to welcome them to the neighborhood. Ellie's friend, Katelyn, moved a few weeks ago and a new family moved in. The mom is actually my second cousin, Nancy Rourke, one of the Cahalans. They have three kids and their youngest is around Jackson's age but Ellie loves the chance to play with her. Ellie was very sad when she realized Katelyn had moved though. We were gone most of the week they moved (it was when Sara and Kaitlin were in town) and Ellie noticed it one morning later that week and started crying. She hated to see her friend gone. She had made her a picture before she left and part of it had two girls with tears on their faces :-(.

Wednesday afternoon we did a little swimming but first we went ahead and did part of our Think of Others Thursday-clean the pool house. The other part we did on Thursday and we packaged up the cookies with a little tag and Ellie took them over to the Rourke's. Wednesday night, Ellie had another ball game. It was in Brashear and my parents ended up keeping the twins and Jackson and Lincoln came with us. Lincoln was needing to be distracted so he spent most of the game looking for big rocks in all the gravel and building "towers" out of them.

On Thursday, I got the last two pictures I needed to redo my photo wall. And I just couldn't wait to put them up. They actually went up pretty easily and I love the way it looks. This picture doesn't do it justice. Of course, Lissy took all the amazing pictures (thank you!!!) and I designed the "family rules" and just had them printed as a photo.
Jackson got to go to a surprise birthday party for one of his friends at the Aquatic Center on Thursday. He is always excited when he gets to go there and Ellie was disappointed that her friends don't have summer birthday parties at the pool. Thursday night we got to eat dinner at the Truschinger's house. It was great to see them and reconnect as it has been a while. The kids had fun playing together and it was nice to just sit and talk to Amanda and Brian.

On Friday, we had some friends over to swim at my parents. The kids always love having more kids to play with.
Then Friday night, Ellie had her last ball game of the season. She has two more this week, but is out of town. She had some great coaches this year and I am grateful for the time the volunteered to coach her team.

Andrew left early Saturday morning to help work some cattle out at the ranch while I spent the day getting stuff done around the house. I ended up making some kamp coffee cake and even though it didn't turn out just right it was still pretty yummy. The topping sunk to the bottom, so I called it upside down Kamp coffee cake. Andrew said it is probably best if I don't make it very often because he really liked it. Saturday afternoon we headed down to Columbia to go to a wedding reception for one of Andrew's cousin. I wasn't sure if we were going to make it because Lincoln and Bennett were both sick with colds. Lincoln woke up early in the morning with a croupy cough and it sounded like he was having trouble breathing. He eventually went back to sleep and slept until 11. So we made it, but then I started feeling sick part way through it and we decided to leave. My stomach hurt the whole way home.

And Sunday was a sad day because Ellie left us for five nights. She was lucky enough to go with Mary up to Detroit to see Lauren and her family. They stayed overnight in Kansas City Sunday night and flew out early Monday morning. We talked to her a couple of times and she is doing well. It is much quieter around here though and we miss her a lot. I don't think Jackson is missing her too much yet, but he did say that it was different without her around.


This week is a little slower for us. Jackson has had soccer camp the last two mornings and last night we worked out one of the K-Life fireworks tent. While we were there we made Jackson's "experiment" for Make Something Monday-homemade lava lamps. He had a lot of fun with it.
Andrew and Jackson also played some catch. Andrew tried a couple of times to throw it really hard and he had Jackson just stand there with his arm outstretched holding his glove. Andrew tried to aim to throw right at it and one time Jackson actually caught it. I think it kind of hurt his hand for a little while :-).
And I just realized I don't have any pictures of Miles and Bennett. They both have colds now and are pretty sad. But they can still flash those adorable smiles. Bennett has been up on his hands and knees a little bit rocking. I tried to get a picture of it, but it never worked out. They are still very entertaining to watch interact with each other and they have started noticing each other's toys and trying to take them. Oh the fun.

No comments: