Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Heading Into May Madness


Last week was my last week of peak training before I start tapering for the big race. And I was ready for it to be my last week. The kids continue to keep us endlessly busy. Miles had his last filling Monday after school. I didn’t let him know beforehand, but Ellie told him when she picked him up and he came to the car in tears. He was good to go by the time we got to the dentist office and rocked it getting two fillings. The others spent their time divided between the dentist office and my dad’s office.

We picked up Jackson from track on our way home and then Lincoln went to soccer that evening while the twins went to baseball. Ellie still didn’t have her orthotics, so she skipped dance again. Lincoln and the twins got to start football camp on Tuesday after school. I was surprised that they walked them all the way over to the practice field on the other side of the high school, but the track teams had the football field. They went right after school until 4:30 for three days and they really had fun at it. Jackson had his only home track meet on Wednesday, so it worked to get them from the camp since we were right there and Jackson finished up his events about the time they got out. He did the high jump, long jump and hurdles. My mom and Mary were able to come watch him and it ended up being a nice day. I’m glad we all got to watch him, because it ended up being his last meet since the actual last meet they only took 8th graders. He didn’t get any personal bests that day, but I thought he did great. And I love that he likes track and wants to keep getting better. It has been great for him. He even got done in time to make it to baseball practice that night. He did get one more track practice in the next day since they hadn’t informed them yet who was going to the last meet. And even though track was great, it will be nice having one less practice/games (meets).



Thursday morning, I got my hour run in right after I dropped the kids off at school. I had to do some intervals so I was pretty sweaty, but I just threw another shirt on, pulled my cap down to try to disguise myself and then went into Ellie’s school for her DARE graduation. She wasn’t very excited about it at all and told me I didn’t need to come, but I felt like I should support the program. There wasn’t much to the graduation though. They sang a song and then had several kids read the essays they wrote. I think there were 6 of them and they decided we couldn’t hear the first two well enough, so they had them go again. Then they called each student up (it was half of Ellie’s grade, probably close to 100 kids), one by one and it was taking a long time. I waited until they were on the last class, got Ellie’s attention and told her goodbye and went home to get on with the rest of my day.


The kids didn’t have school on Friday but it was the best day of the week for my long ride, so Andrew watched the kids while I went. It was a 3 hour 15 minute ride followed by a 15 minute run. I went out to the lake and just stayed around there most of the time. It was a little better than my last long ride. Andrew and the kids met up with me at one point to let me know they were heading out to fish and they took Alex with them too.



And Ellie did a little artwork.

That night was the Middle School spring dance, but Jackson opted not to go. He did enjoy relaxing at home and we grilled steaks and didn’t do too much as I was feeling pretty tired. We had a busy day the next day, so I got everything ready for that. Andrew and Jackson went out hunting for a little bit Saturday morning. We skipped Lincoln’s morning soccer game since we had six soccer games that afternoon in Moberly. Ellie and I did stop by the soccer field though for Dr. Costello to tape up Ellie’s ankle and foot for her games that afternoon since her orthotics still weren’t in. Then we left for Moberly with the twins’ first game at 1:30. Then we had a game every hour, with 2 at 3:30 and finished up at 6:30. They all did a great job and really hustled. It was fun to watch them work so hard. And they did it with sitting out in the sun all day with no shade too.


















Sunday morning, Andrew took Jackson and Lincoln out hunting while the rest of us made the trip up to Pella for Sadie’s baptism. We were a day late for Tulip Time, but there were still people out and about checking out all the tulips. We go there just as they were all heading to the church. My mom put me in charge of taking pictures during the Mass and Sadie was such a cutie. Afterwards, they had lunch for everyone and the cousins all enjoyed playing together until we all started heading home around 2:30 to get things ready for the upcoming week.


No comments: