The kids were ready to get the week before Christmas
started. We had a lot of things to remember to bring to school that morning.
The kids had their gifts for their teachers, the red velvet sheet cake for
Jackson’s school, the cookies and bowls for the twins’ school and stocking
stuffers for the twins’ class. And then I ran outside for the first time in
several weeks since I was finally feeling better and then went in to help in
the twins’ and Lincoln’s classrooms for the last time this semester. There were
four kids out in the twins’ class…so many people sick. I was able to get my
wrapping finished up when I got home, which was nice. And I also got stuff
ready to surprise the kids with our mini Polar Express that night. Andrew and I
had some miscommunications about it that night though. Once I had everything
ready to go…tickets put on pillows, hot chocolate and cookies in the car, music
going and Andrew’s hat and hole punch ready, I sent Andrew a text telling him
to tell the kids to go to bed and them come out to the garage. I waited for
quite a while and no one showed up. Eventually Andrew came out confused and
said the kids came down with the tickets and he sent them back to bed. We got
it all figured out and when out for a little trip to look at some lights,
ending with the one set to music.
The next morning our new shed was going to be installed.
They had called the day before saying they would be at the house between 10 and
noon. I got a call while taking the kids to school around 7:35 saying they
would be at the house around 8. I called Andrew to see if he could be there in
case I wasn’t. We both got home around the same time and the installers showed
up soon after. They ended up with a pretty decent day for the middle of
December. It was cloudy when they started, but the sun came out and it was in
the low 50s when they were done. While they worked, I finished prepping stuff
for Christmas Eve, finished getting stuff ready for Christmas parties the next
day and got a bike ride in. The installers did pretty quick work and they had
our shed done by 1:00. There was a mistake with the doors where we paid for an
upgrade that included small windows that were supposed to be on top and they
were just plain. They have since said they will make new ones and switch them
out after the first of the year.
Ellie had math practice after school and then my mom picked
her up and took her to get some stuff for Andrew and I’s Christmas present. She
spend the next couple of days crafting something for us down in the basement. Andrew
and the kids were all excited to check out the shed that afternoon and soon
stuff that was taking over our garage was being moved out there, which was
nice. Andrew is starting to plan out how he wants to organize all of it. That
night I laid out some blankets and we ate dinner in the family room and watched
A Christmas Story since the kids hadn’t really seen the whole thing. The twins
and Lincoln weren’t too interested, but Jackson and Ellie found it funny. And
it was nice to have a laid back evening.
I also took the opportunity to ready
through the Christmas story from the Jesus Storybook Bible with the younger
ones and discuss it some more. Then on Wednesday the twins and Lincoln got to
have their Christmas parties. I got them all dropped off at school and then did
my Wal-Mart shopping and got back to school in time to get everything set up
for the twins’ party which started at 9. I set up three stations that included
one where they made reindeer food out of oats and glitter and decorated the
bags with stickers. Then there was a Christmas Bingo station with candy cane
prizes and finally the decorate a tree station where a couple students in each
group got to be dressed up like a tree using crepe paper for the tree, stick-on
bows for the ornaments and I made star headbands to put on top. Then they also
had a snack station. The kids had a lot of fun. I worked the tree station and
they thought it was pretty funny. Although Bennett did pout because he didn’t
get to be a tree. But he eventually recovered.
After their party was done, I went to Aldi and then back
home to put everything away. I stocked up on stuff, so it was quite a bit.
Thankfully, Andrew showed up soon after I did and helped me bring everything
in. I feel like I just got all of it put away and then it was time to go to
Lincoln’s party. It was an all-2nd-grade party out in the commons. I
helped set up some stuff and got to hang out with Lincoln a little bit. They
had Polar Express playing and then had some different activities and a photo
booth that they could do while the movie played. Then when they started serving
hot chocolate during the movie, we got to start serving hot chocolate and
cookies to the kids. I was in charge of filling up the hot chocolate cups and
actually ended up with a side stitch from it 😊. Then I had to go make a second batch back
in the kitchen. I decided my parents need some of their supplies. They had a
big vat of hot water that I was able to scoop from to make the hot chocolate,
so it went pretty quickly. Once all the kids had their treats, I headed out to
get in line at Ellie’s school.
That evening, the 4-wheeler that Andrew got to replace his
old one was delivered. The sun had gone down by the time he got it, but that
didn’t keep him and the kids from riding it around the house. Then to entertain
ourselves that night, we went through all the Elf Yourself videos with the
kids’ pictures. The next day was an exciting day because it was the last day of
school. We already sent all the gifts and the kids already had their parties so
there wasn’t much to do. Lincoln got to wear pjs again and bring his blanket
and pillow. Well, in the midst of trying to stuff his big blanket into his
backpack, he forgot to get his lunchbox. And then I was the worst mom and
forgot to get it for him and bring it to school. After I dropped the kids off,
I went by to register the younger boys to play basketball, then went by the
license office to title the ATV and then to Wal-Mart and by the time I got
back, I forgot to get the lunchbox. I immediately went to work cleaning
bathrooms and set up my Braava to mop the floors. It has a little bit of a
learning curve, but I really enjoy it. I cleaned a few more things around the
house before getting on the treadmill and then quickly getting ready and
heading to Lincoln’s school to be a guest reader for their read-a-thon day.
They were just finishing up lunch and that is when I remembered that I forgot
his lunch box. He did get a cheese sandwich, some broccoli and a cookie of
which he ate the bread and the cookie. I felt bad and at least he got
something…they’ll send me a bill soon 😊. I read three Christmas books to his class
and then I got to help Lincoln go get some milk for his class before heading
back home to finish cleaning and laundry before picking up the kids from
school. They sent out the Primary newsletter that afternoon and Miles and
Lincoln were both on it for being voted Kirk’s Kids in their classes for
December. And the twins brought home decorations for our tree and some sweet
drawings. We also got our first presents under the tree.
As soon as we got home from school, the kids all emptied
their backpacks and coats and I washed them along with their lunch boxes. Jackson
and Ellie were excited to get home and ride the 4-wheeler. Thankfully, Andrew
was home and was able to help them. When I emptied the twins backpacks, I found these wonderful drawings.
I got some spaghetti started for dinner
that evening. Gage came into town for the small group sleepover, so he got to
join us for dinner and tell us about how things were going in Liberty. They
spent most of the evening at the Vincents. At home, we got out the leftover
crepe paper and bows so they could dress up Bennett as a tree and then they all
started into wrapping each other and themselves while I made some cookies. Our
family room floor was covered with crepe paper.
Later that night, I took Jackson and his friends to the K-Life
house for his small group sleepover. We loaded up a bunch of snacks and drinks
to take over and it looked like there were at least nine boys there and it was
just getting started. We gave Wade his Christmas gift and then I ran over to
Laura’s apartment to give her her’s too. Jackson said they had a lot of fun and
he didn’t sleep at all that night. Leah brought them all home at 9 the next
morning and after he got ready, he went over to Zach’s house since Gage was
still there. But when he got home later that afternoon, he was pretty tired.
Friday
as actually my birthday and Lincoln gave me his present (it was supposed to be
my Christmas present) after I got done on the bike-hot chocolate mix in a cute
jar with a cute tag he made. So sweet. And Andrew gave me a really sweet card
and surprised me with a gift certificate for carpet cleaning. I spent most of
the day baking-making sugar cookies and attempting to make buckeye balls. I
think they were too dry and they fell apart when I tried to dip them in the chocolate.
I ended up just giving up on them. The twins and Ellie finished up the sugar
cookies for me by finishing the icing and sprinkles. And Ellie finished decorating her room.
Then we went to my parents
that evening for dinner. Lissy and Molly were there and Caroline, Jared and
Emmie got there a little later and we had a yummy fried chicken dinner and delicious
red velvet cake. And my parents gave me a house cleaning gift certificate. It
was a great birthday.
Andrew took the kids out to the ranch for a little bit on
Saturday while I picked up around the house, made a pumpkin pie for Andrew, did
laundry and di a run on the treadmill. We went to my parents later that
afternoon. You could tell my mom wasn’t feeling that great, so she snuck off to
her bedroom and we played a few games…a few rounds of Uno and Catchphrase. Lissy also got out some cookie decorating supplies so that Ellie could try her hand at watercolor icing sugar cookies.
That
night, we went to El Vaquero for dinner and they ended up putting us in the
back room/bar area. It ended up working out well because the kids just played
around the area and at the end, one of the workers offered to turn on the
mechanical bull for us. The twins, Ellie and Lincoln all rode on the bull. It
ended up being a fun night.
We went back to our house afterwards since my mom wasn’t
feeling well and I wanted her to have some quiet to rest. I decided to let the
kids do their sibling gift exchange, which they were very excited about. All
the younger boys got the Lego block tape and immediately went downstairs to try
it out. The twins also got Cardinals t-shirts
and they put them on before going downstairs to play.
Andrew spent most of the afternoon/evening working on a work
bench for his shed. Jackson helped him a little bit that night, but Andrew
stuck it out on his own until after midnight. And he was nice enough to clean
up his mess and move my car back in before the snow came. He did a great job
with it.


































No comments:
Post a Comment