It was back to school Monday and it was a little rough. I
did a bike ride in the morning and got done a little before seven. When I came
out to the family room, the house was still very quiet and everyone was still
asleep. So, it was a bit of a rushed morning. I helped in Lincoln’s class that
morning and it seemed like a lot of the kids were dragging. After I was done
helping, I had been debating whether to go for a run outside or not and since
it was so nice, I decided to go for it. I usually get sore after running
outside the first couple of times, so I was trying to decide if it was worth
it. I got done just in time to get the twins from school, but then Andrew
texted me telling me he could get them since he saw that I was running. That
afternoon, Ellie had math practice and Lincoln was asked to be in a commercial
for the Parks and Rec. sales tax that will be on the ballot in April. They
wanted to get a group of kids from the soccer club playing a game. Since it was
nice and the soccer field was just down from his school, he and Jackson just
walked there after school and I had him put his uniform on in the car. We were
done at about 3:40, in time to get Ellie from math, but Andrew offered to get
her. He had big plans to take us all out to the ranch for a little bit before I
had to get to the Newman Center to decorate for the Mary Immaculate Sports
Banquet. They have a pretty steep ditch in one of their pastures that the kids
like to play on. They also brought their gold panning stuff and tried to find
some gold in the dirt and creek. They had a lot of fun trying to climb all the
way to the top-Lincoln was the one that accomplished that. They also had a
little path that ran down the slope that became their slide.
I had plans to make dinner, but didn’t have time with Andrew’s
excursion, so we ordered Colton’s on our way home and I picked it up while
Andrew got everyone and the dog cleaned up. I ate quickly and then headed to
the Newman Center. It didn’t take too long to decorate. It was just setting out
some tables and chairs, adding tablecloths and some centerpieces that they have
had for years. My mom thought they were the same ones from when Molly was there
and they were pretty tacky 😊.
Tuesday brought cooler weather but that didn’t keep the kids
from getting outside to play. We didn’t have much going on that day except the
banquet. I made a strawberry cake and fruit salad for the dinner and we dropped
the younger ones off at my parents. The dinner went well. We had three bigger
tables set up from for all the players to sit at and they left one table empty
and all the boys squeezed into one table and all the girls into the other.
After dinner, the coaches, Brett and Dylan, each gave short speeches. They both
cared so much about their players and declared coaching the best part of the
college experience. It will be sad to see them go as they both graduate in May.
Then Kiersten gave a little speech thanking her sister and the Behnen boys did
it for Dylan. They gave them their presents-basketballs that they all signed
and gift cards. And each of the players got blue sweatshirt-material blankets
that had MI Hawks Basketball on them. At the end, Bob Behnen got up to finish out
with thank yous and he proceeded to thank me for the decorations (Michele had
told him to thank me for getting the basketballs) and I tried to let it be
known that I didn’t have anything to do with them. I said it was God keeping my
pride in check because I would never want to be associated with being
responsible for those decorations 😊.
Wednesday morning I did some swimming and running and then I
tried to do yoga again. I’m pretty stiff and I have issues with running. I can’t
get my pace back to what it was before my accident and have pain that I didn’t
have before, so yoga was recommended, specifically yin yoga. I found a video on
YouTube, and while my poses definitely didn’t look like the lady in the video,
I do think it will help. I thought it would be funny to get the whole family to
do it because I think Ellie is the only flexible one among us. I think Jackson
is even worse than me. We would be a pretty funny sight. 😊
The twins have been full of energy lately and constantly talking
to each other. Some of their conversations are pretty entertaining, especially
as they learn to use new phrases and “slang”, but there is also quite a bit of
arguing about stuff. Sometimes I just have to tell them to not say another word
to each other for a while. Especially while we are waiting in the pickup line
at school for a ½ hour. Ellie had to pick up the pizzas she sold for RAP after
school, so we had to wait for her to get those before we picked up Lincoln. And
Jackson had weights after school, so by the time we got to Lincoln he was
wondering where we were.
Thursday morning, I had small group. We finished up our
latest book and decided on a new study. It is actually an online study that
doesn’t start until April, so we decided to take the next week off. I had to
make chocolate chip cookies and M&M cookies for the K-Life 3on3 tournament
coming up that weekend, so I did that after lunch. Bennett is always the one
who wants to get the beater. When he notices me doing any baking, he climbs up
on the counter and waits for me to finish mixing things up. And the kids were
excited that I had enough to put a few back for them instead of taking them all
to K-Life. Ellie and Lincoln had Little K after school, so I dropped off the
cookies and Gatorade when I picked them up. Then we got Ellie off to dance and
a little later the rest of us went to Mary Immaculate to have a quick practice
with Jackson’s 3on3 team. They were all boys from his team, but we thought a
quick practice to get used to playing with each other and the 3on3 format would
be good. We just went for ½ hour and we were good. The school had a book fair
going on in half the gym, so I stood guard to try to protect the books, but we
did pretty good.
Andrew took the older kids to school Friday morning and he
let me know that his mom called him earlier to let him know that Matthew had
hit his head the night before and he and Kristin spent most of the night in the
ER and they thought he had a concussion. I sent Kristin a text saying we didn’t
really know what happened but if she needed help with anything, like bringing
the kids home from school, to just let us know. She called a little later to
let me know what had actually happened.
It was after the kids had gone to bed and Matthew was going down their
stairs outside from their screened-in porch when he fell and hit his head.
Kristin said she heard him yelling for her and she went out to find him slumped
over with a huge laceration on his head. It started just above the bridge of
his nose and went up on his scalp and curved over close behind his ear. It was
around 8 inches and cut deep enough that his skin was hanging. Kristin said he
basically scalped himself. She got him to the ER where they were really busy,
so they called up another doctor that was off, but sleeping at the hospital. It
was a doctor who used to practice in Kirksville and comes back to work a bit,
Dr. Maples. They did a CT scan and checked with head injuries and got him sewn
up. They did think he had a concussion too. He was released to go home though
and Kristin said he was able to rest some but would get nauseous anytime he
tried to move. I offered to come out and clean up because she said there was
blood everywhere-in her car, outside, etc., but she said she was feeling an
extra burst of energy and was going to tackle it. Then we offered to get
dinner, but she already had someone getting something for them.
Andrew ended up going out during the afternoon. He took
Lincoln with him and Lincoln spent some time with Granny while Andrew visited
Matthew. Lincoln said he helped Granny with her new TV and showed her how to
use the remote. They were out there later because Andrew stayed to help unload
some cattle that Matthew had bought earlier that were being delivered that
evening. They ended up not getting home until around 9. Back at home, Jackson
had small group after school. I also had to pack up for the twins and Lincoln
to go to KC the next day with my parents for Baylor’s birthday. My mom had
offered that day to take them if we were fine with them going. They were very
excited. After dinner, I had to get Ellie to dance. They had an extra practice
for their competition routine. But then she wanted to get to bed early since we
had to leave early the next morning for math competition. The kids also brought
home their 3rd quarter grade cards and they did awesome. Jackson and
Ellie both had straight A’s while Lincoln had all but 2 V’s (one S in
handwriting which I imagine is just because he tries to do stuff too quickly)
and he improved his reading score to 2.3. Very proud of them.
The next morning, Ellie and I left around 6:30 in the
morning and it was still dark and raining. We drove in rain until around Monroe
City and we were thankful to see the sun peek out. Her competition was held at
the Hannibal middle school and they had to be there between 8 and 8:30 and
started testing soon after. Since there wasn’t much to do in Hannibal, I sat in
my car working on this blog and billing for the office. Then I went by JC
Penney and picked up a few things since they were having their friends and
family sale. Ellie was done around 10:50 and then we went to eat lunch before
heading back for the awards ceremony. Ellie was almost sure she wouldn’t get
anything although she was admiring the fancy ribbons they were going to hand
out. And to her surprise, she placed in each test for her grade and qualified
to go to state. She was a happy girl and we were so proud of her.
My parents picked up the twins and Lincoln that morning and
made their way to Kansas City. They got to go to Urban Air that afternoon and
then had Baylor’s party that evening. My mom sent me this picture of them all snuggled
into the sleeper sofa at the hotel that night, ready for bed.
Ellie and I got back to Kirksville for part of Jackson’s
first game for the 3on3 tournament. There ended up only being three teams in
his age bracket, so they just played three games and lost all of them, but they
played well against some tough teams. I was impressed with how well Jackson
played and they had fun together.
Andrew went to the office after the games and then met us at
La Fuente that evening for dinner. After dinner, I took Jackson and Ellie to
the shoe store to find Jackson some new shoes. He actually ended up with a big
hole in the side of his tennis shoes, so he definitely needed some new ones and
I knew I didn’t have time to order them off Amazon. I realized that he hadn’t
really been shoe shopping and was just used to me buying something for him to
try on home. He eventually learned how to find his size in the different
styles. So he went around and finally found a few pairs he liked and he
actually had to end up getting a size 9-crazy. When we got back home, we put on
comfy clothes and watched Risen. With
the younger kids gone, I thought it would be a good time for Ellie and Jackson
to watch it and they did like it and find it interesting.
Sunday morning Andrew went to the office and then we went to
church. I did some grocery shopping afterwards and cleaned up some mud that
Andrew and Jackson had tracked into the garage the day before. Jackson and
Ellie were playing knockout with some of the other kids for a little while and
then Jackson thanked me for cleaning up the mud. I finally got around to doing
a run and then my parents were back with the kids. We had decided to eat at
Fort Chariton that evening and it was a good dinner. It was a fun atmosphere
and the food was good, so I think we’ll be back. Back home, the twins were
excited to try on their new cleats I got them at Wal-Mart. Now they say they
need to learn how to hit. Andrew spent time trying to teach Jackson the finer
points of fighting. Totally a boy thing.












No comments:
Post a Comment