Monday, September 14, 2015

And Things Just Keep Getting Busier...

Well last week started off a little bumpy on Tuesday. I was just getting ready to get up, when Miles came into the room with a bloody nose. So I got him set up with tissues and took a quick shower while he kept switching them out. Then I put him in the shower and started working on finding and cleaning all the blood spots that made a path from my room up to his. If you hit it early with cold water, it is pretty easy to clean up. There were just a lot of little spots to clean and then I threw his comforter and pillowcase in the washer to set in cold water. Since I was running behind, Lincoln made his pb&j for lunch which included about an inch thick layer of peanut butter. Then he said, “Oh no. I think I got too much jelly.” There was a huge pile of jelly and I had to scrape off two thirds of it. I was still able to get my morning chores done that I like to do before taking the kids to school and we were just a few minutes later than usual. Andrew pulled up from the office just as we were leaving. When I dropped the twins off at school their teachers were a little thrown off since they both had boots on. Last week Miles wore tennis shoes (or his “fast shoes” as he calls them) and Bennett wore boots so that helped them out. But since it was raining, Miles wanted to wear his boots too.

After I dropped them off I ran to Wal-Mart to get stuff to make small group snacks the next day. I really wish Aldi opened before 9 so I could go there right after dropping the kids off at school, but they don’t so Wal-Mart it was. Then I ran out back and cut down a dead limb from one of our trees before another storm rolled through. And then I was able to do a quick clean-out of our closet and bagged up some stuff for the thrift store and posted some stuff on swap shop. But it was quickly time to pick up the twins and meet another girl that I had sold some baskets to. While I got lunch ready, the twins got out their big bag of cars. They have moved back to the cars from the trains, at least for this week. And fire trucks are one of their favorites. I may have mentioned it before but whenever either of them say fire truck they say, “fire truck woo woo”. They have said it that way for about as long as they could say fire truck.

While they napped on cleaned out some toys in the playroom in preparation for small group-less mess for them to make and have to clean up. Then we were able to drop off a bag of toys and clothes at the thrift store after we picked up the other kids from school. After we got home we got homework done then the kids played with their friends. Jackson went with his friends to ride bikes down by the lake and Alex came over to play with Lincoln. He was in his Spiderman outfit so Lincoln changed into his ninja outfit and the twins followed soon after putting on capes and ninja masks. Ellie had been wanting to watch a gymnastics competition I recorded so she did that for a bit. I was excited because it was supposed to be one of our few nights without anything going on but then we found out Lincoln had a make-up soccer practice since he missed his first one with Labor Day. So I went ahead and had dinner ready around 5 and then Lincoln wanted Andrew to take him to practice. He had fun at practice and was excited to find out his “cousins”, Aven and Cohen, were on his team too. I guess for one part of the practice they had to hold hands with a partner while they kicked the ball around.


The rest of the evening, I played with the younger ones out front while Andrew played football with Jackson and Ellie. 

The next day was our first day back to small group so I got up and started cleaning the house, starting with the bathrooms. Then it was time to drop the kids off at school. I usually get a hug from Lincoln when I drop him off but this time he saw Benson walking in with his dad and Ty was right in front of us, so he denied me my hug and quickly got out of the car to catch up with his friends J.  After I dropped the kids off I went to the pool to swim some laps and did a workout video when I got home. When I picked up the twins from school, Grandma Jane said they are getting more comfortable and seem to be enjoying school more. Miles was a little concerned when I got there though because he couldn’t find Bennett, who had gone to the bathroom. They were excited to show me what they got out of the prize box for being good at chapel. And then Miles shared his with Bennett and let him play with it for a while-kind of a big deal around here.

When the twins went down for their nap I finished up the laundry, some more cleaning and prepped stuff for small group snacks. Which Ellie helped me assemble closer to start time. Andrew wasn’t able to be at small group since Jackson had practice. And our group is smaller this time around. Several people have decided not to do it and then a few others weren’t able to make it. We discussed the different options for what we want to do for the semester and decided which way to go. So it will be interesting to see how this goes. And Andrew did make it for the very end and to help finish up the snacks. They were a couple of his favorites, Feta Dip and White Chocolate Mousse Tartlettes.

The next morning my alarm went off at 5:15 and I remember turning it off but the next time I looked it was 6. I usually sleep a little longer after the alarm, then get on my phone and check email/Facebook and then do my devotional/prayer time that is an app on my phone. But I still wanted to get a bike ride in so I put that off until later and got ready quickly and jumped on the bike on the trainer. And then it was a mad dash to get ready and make sure everyone else was ready, breakfast eaten, lunches made and out the door by 7:35. But we got everyone to school on time with everything that they need. Then I did grocery shopping and tried to find some plants I wanted so I could do some landscaping on the north side of our house but they didn’t have what I wanted. I guess I am going to have to wait until next spring. When I picked up the twins they were playing with the dump trucks and rocks at the playground. Looking through their backpacks, I found cards they made for Grandparents Day. When I suggested we give them to their grandparents they both disagreed and wanted to keep them for themselves. I guess we need to work on that one.

That afternoon Jackson and Ellie had K-Life so we just needed to pick up Lincoln. He is always excited when we get there a little earlier. Then it was time to work on dinner. Andrew came home a little after four, got ready for practice and ate dinner. I sent some tacos with him for Jackson and Ellie. Jackson had said earlier that he wished we were having the tacos another night so he could take the time to enjoy eating them instead of eating them quickly before practice. But I thought they would be something that would be easy for them to eat on the road, so that is why I went with them for that night. I picked Ellie up a little later at football practice since she had dance at 5:30. After we dropped her off at dance, I decided to run by Hy-Vee. I had forgotten that I was going to Bunco night on Friday and needed to bring something. Since I still had some stuff for the tartlettes, I went with making more of those. I just needed to pick up a few items so off to the store we went. Lincoln decided the twins would like pushing their own carts and they were lucky that there were two left for them. Not the best idea as it was a busy time at the store, but we made it through pretty well. Then we ran home and I mixed up some more mousse and fed them dinner before we had to pick up Ellie. Andrew and Jackson didn’t get home until closer to eight. When he shed his football gear, Lincoln and the twins decided to try it on.


Friday was Jackson's first time to wear his football jersey to school.

I dropped the older three off at school and then picked up my mom for a trip to Columbia. I had some returns to make and needed to make a Sam’s run. And we got Shakespeare’s for lunch which was delicious. We didn’t get back in time to get the kids from school so Andrew picked them up for me. We got home around 4 and Andrew decided to head out for a quick bike ride. I got all of my stuff put away, worked on my dessert for Bunco and made waffles for dinner. Andrew and Jackson had football pictures at 6, so they headed that way after dinner. They got home at 7:30 and I left for Bunco. It was at Leslie’s house so I just walked over there. It was a fun night getting to visit with some different girls but the walk home was actually pretty chilly. When I got home it was close to midnight and Ellie was waiting for me in my bed. She was excited to hear that I actually won. It was my first time winning and Leslie’s boy, Aven, predicted that I would win. I guess he is my good luck charm. The next morning we all slept in a bit. Andrew wanted to take the kids out to the ranch though so they left around 7:30. They had to move quickly because Lincoln had soccer pictures at 11:30. 

I got up and had planned on working out but when I went upstairs to get the kids’ laundry (I am sometimes nice to them on Saturdays and will get it for them instead of making them bring it down, especially if they are out at the ranch) I ended up cleaning their rooms-picking up, dusting and vacuuming. When Andrew and the kids got home, they all took quick showers as Andrew discovered a couple ticks. Then I took Lincoln to the YMCA for his soccer pictures while Andrew brought the other kids later for the game at noon. Lincoln was so excited for his first game. He did a great job. He was close to scoring a goal but never quite got it there. But we were proud of his hustle and good attitude.





When we got home, Andrew went to the office for a bit while the kids enjoyed the nice weather playing with their friends. Then Andrew and Jackson had to head to their game at 4. It wasn’t  an actual game, but what they call a jamboree where there were several other teams there and they would play 20 minute “games”. The defensive team would stay the same while two different offensive teams would alternate back and forth running plays. The kids and I ran to my parents’ house for some soup before we headed over to the stadium around 5. Jackson’s team played three different rounds starting at 5:20 and he was done at 7:30. The last round ended at 8, so even though the kids and I left after Jackson was done, he and Andrew had to stick around until the end. Even though I am nervous about Jackson playing football it was fun to watch him in action. He did a good job blocking and got to run with the ball one play. Andrew was proud of him and said he did a good job.









They came by my parents afterwards so Andrew could get some chili and then it was time to go home and get to bed after a long day. Sunday we went to church and then I did my grocery shopping. I had to move quickly though because I had surprised Andrew a little early for his birthday and arranged for Molly to come over so we could go on a bike ride together. Our first one since my accident which was almost four months ago. We decided to head out to the lake even though they had the NEMO Triathlon there earlier in the day. I was bummed I didn’t get to participate, but it was good to get to bike out there again. We did pretty well on our speed but I wasn’t that great on the hills. Again, I was a little nervous about any rough patch on the roads. We did about 19 miles and Andrew’s knee was starting to bother him a bit. After we got back, I had to quickly shower and get ready again because I had to take Ellie to a birthday party at Leisure World. Andrew went to the office when I got back and Jackson watched the kids when I had to pick up Ellie. That evening we had Andrew’s family in. Mary wanted to do dinner to celebrate Andrew and Matthew’s birthdays since they were getting ready to head down to Gulf Shores for the month. We couldn’t do Monday though because of all of the kids’ practices. So we just ordered Colton’s and ate out back at our house. It was a beautiful night and perfect for s’mores which the kids enjoyed. I had enough supplies to make some more of the tartlets for the adults to enjoy.

Andrew’s birthday was on Monday. He turned the big 39. He got to celebrate by taking the kids to school, eating a rushed dinner (I did try to make him something that he really likes, it is just hard to get it done by 4:45), us singing a quick “Happy Birthday” to him before he cut into his pie (while the rest of us were finishing dinner) and then heading off to football practice. The twins did surprise him with some pictures they colored. I asked them if they wanted to color a picture for his birthday and they said they wanted to do a deer. So I printed them off for them, wrote Happy Birthday and then gave them a basket full of crayons. Miles colored his in all green and Bennett did all blue. I guess it is kind of ingrained in them J. Andrew loved them though. And when Ellie saw them, she decided to she wanted to color one also for her dad. Even though our bikes were supposed to be our presents for everything this year, I went ahead and got him some gloves and toe covers to use so he can bike in cooler weather.


While Andrew and Jackson went to football practice, the rest of us took Lincoln to soccer practice. I dropped him off and ran a couple quick errands. Then we sat out by the field for the rest of his practice. The twins and Ellie enjoyed running around on the walking trail and of course we had to have a potty break. Miles really wanted to just pee outside but I made him go into the Y. I also met up with a girl that I sold a dress to through swap shop. After Lincoln’s practice we headed home and I cleaned the windows and then took the twins outside to play while I measured for the landscaping on the side of the house. Even though I probably won’t do it until next year, I wanted to have the measurements just in case anything I needed went on sale. Andrew and Jackson got home around 7:45 and then I took Ellie to her tumbling class. So Andrew’s birthday was a tad different than last year when we spent it at the beautiful beach resort in Capo Vaticano , Italy. It is still a pretty good birthday when you can spend it with the ones you love though.


And I have to add this last little bit from our day. I was downstairs on the treadmill while the twins played. Bennett started yelling and so I got off to check and found Miles patting his head. I told him he needed to stop and he said, “But he is my best bud.” 

No comments: