Sunday, January 18, 2015

First Post of the New Year...Finally

Christmas break was quickly winding down. Amanda and crew headed home Friday morning so we stuck at home all day Friday. The twins just played with some of their new toys during the day while I got busy taking down all of our Christmas stuff. I did enlist the help of the older kids for part of the day. Jackson was my biggest help by putting away all of the garland and getting boxes for me. After we got almost everything put away inside we then moved outside.  But first I put Ellie and Lincoln in charge of cleaning up the basement. Then Jackson and I headed outside. He put our wooden nativity cut-outs down in the basement for me and took the lights off our little tree outside. He also put away all the garland and bows. While he was doing that I worked on taking down the lights off the house. It isn't  too bad since the lights are just hanging on cup hooks. I was able to use a tool we use for cutting tree branches to get most of them down and just had to get the ladder out to reach the ones on the peak.  So that went pretty smoothly. Next up was the tree. Each of the three older kids took off most of their ornaments and I got the rest. I also got the Christmas china packed away and our normal stuff put out. Then I started working on trying to replace some strands of lights that were out on the tree.  I had some replacement strands but then realized that they had polarized plugs while the ones I already had on the tree were just regular plugs. I called Andrew to see if he could run by Westlakes on his way home from the office and see if they had some sort of adapter.  He did stop by but wasn't able to find anything. So I ended up just doing a separate strand of lights for those and was able to plug them in separately. Andrew got home while I was working on that and brought the kids some McDonalds. Well for all the kids except Jackson who doesn't like McDonalds at all. But then I had to get moving to make it to Aldi before they closed. Then it was on to Wal-Mart where I discovered that they were almost totally out of bread. I was thankful at that point that I still had a loaf in the freezer to get us by.

After I got home, I threw some ice melt out on the driveway since we were supposed to be getting some freezing rain. It did a little but then I guess it warmed up enough that it was just rain and just washed away my ice melt. And before everyone went to bed Friday night we were able to figure out how to use the new tree bag for our Christmas tree. We had put it on when we put up the tree and then we were able to just pull it up over the tree and put the tree away in the basement all put together with the lights still on it. I hope it pays off next Christmas. But just like that, Christmas was gone. I like how the house feels after that-fresh, more open, clean-but it does make me sad to see if all go. Then it is time to wean myself off the Christmas music. I saw a Christmas commercial that night and it made me smile to see it.

Andrew headed to the office Saturday morning and got home around lunch time. My mom had promised Ellie that they could work on some sewing so she asked if I could bring her over that afternoon. Ellie and I made a stop at Evergreen first to look for some stuff to change up my winter decorations a bit. I picked out just a few floral stems even though there were so many fun things to look at.  Ellie really wanted a stuffed squirrel they had there. I am half-tempted to go back and get it for next Christmas. But I dropped her off at my parents and they got busy sewing. She made some slippers that I don’t think I got a picture of. But she loved it. While she was there I started working on cleaning the family room. For each room I wanted to do the magic eraser on the walls, doors, and trim work and then wipe them all down, dust all the furniture, lights, fans and blinds, vacuum behind and underneath furniture, clean out every cabinet/drawer/closet and reorganize them and purge/get rid of stuff. I also worked on a few new winter decorations.  My dad made all of us girls these wooden boxes to use as decoration/utensil holders so I used it for a winter centerpiece.

Andrew worked fixing up some pipes so our sump pump would drain better out of the house. Lincoln was excited to get to go to Home Depot with him because he had been saying that he wanted to go the next time anyone went. Then that night we went to my parents for dinner and to pick Ellie up. I did a little more cleaning when we got home and then we watched The Sound of Music. I had actually never seen it and Andrew wasn’t sure if he had so we thought we better watch it. I think the kids gave up on it quickly.

We ended up not going to church the next morning because the twins still had colds and nasty runny noses so I figured it would be best to just keep them home with all that was out there. Andrew actually ended up taking them out to the ranch. Andrew’s parents had just got back from spending the week with Annie and their new one so the kids were excited to see them. I listened online to our church service while I cleaned. That day it was the kitchen and it took all day. When the kids got home the headed outside to play and do some sledding. They also had to get stuff ready to start back to school the next day. I went to change the chore chart and just had to get a picture of what Ellie did to it the week of Christmas.






Andrew took the twins to play in the basement before their naps so I could continue cleaning without them in the way. They did manage to help me a little though.


I had totally neglected the basement and it had become the dumping ground for stuff and I never really made the kids clean it up since I knew I would be reorganizing all of it soon.  When the twins went down for their nap, Andrew headed to the office for the rest of the day. I think he wonders if he will ever be able to catch up from both he and Kelli being out for a while. 

The kids did okay getting up on Monday except Lincoln. He was crying that he was tired and didn’t want to get dressed and then next thing I know he shows up in the my bathroom all ready to go telling me good morning. He can be a bit bipolar sometimes. I worked on the laundry room during the morning and got to use my new label maker. Andrew made fun of the label maker but Ellie loves it and wants to use it all the time. We got a little snow that morning. Actually some schools were called off. Then we got a little more that afternoon. Josh invited Lincoln over to play so he went over there for part of the afternoon. When Jackson and Ellie got home, they headed right outside to sled and snowboard along with a request for hot chocolate when they got back. So I had it waiting and went to work on cleaning the office. Andrew thought about going out to cut ice and about that time Matthew called to tell him he had already taken care of it which was very nice. After dinner I ran a couple errands and then ran by my parent’s house to put the twins’ car seats in their car since they were watching the kids the next day while Andrew and I went to St. Louis for a follow-up appointment. While I was gone Andrew worked on teaching Ellie how to play her guitar. He was impressed with how quickly she learned the different chords.


My dad came by the next morning to get the kids and we headed to St. Louis. Andrew had a conference call with a judge so I took over the driving around Troy. Andrew’s surgeon wasn’t actually there but we talked with the fellow that had been in on his surgery and the nurse. He had an x-ray done and it showed a significant difference. But it sounded like he was on track and was supposed to keep up with some of the restrictions and his physical therapy and to still expect some pain and swelling. We finished up around lunch time so we decided to head to the Hill since we were so close and grab some authentic Italian for lunch-yummy!. Then I made a quick stop by Hobby Lobby and headed home. We ran by our house when we got into town so Andrew could pick up his truck and I gathered all the trash and recycling to put out since it was going to be so cold the next morning. Some schools had actually canceled school because of the cold. My mom had made dinner so we ate with them.  One of Molly’s roommates came over for dinner and Bennett ended up sitting by her and snorting like a pig since that is what they did with Molly most of the day. She actually handled it very well.  After dinner Andrew went to pick up Ellie from dance and we headed home too. And before we knew it, it was time for gymnastics.

I decided to change things up on Wednesday and abandoned the cleaning for the morning and recovered our dining room chairs. I had been wanting to do it for a while and ended up finding some curtains on sale at Dollar General for $6 a panel that I liked. They only had three left but that was all I needed to cover my eight chairs. I wanted to center the pattern on each chair so I ended up having to take out the top seams of the curtains to make it work but it did work. Lincoln even helped me when he got home from school. He would bring me the next chair and lay it down for me, then take the chair when I was done with it and put it back at the table.  

I also got a couple more pictures because the twins were just being cute.


When Jackson got home from school he showed me that the zipper broke on his coat. This was not a good thing because we were having some very cold weather. I ended up finding one on Amazon and ordered it for one day shipping but it wouldn’t be there until Friday. So I thought I would try JC Penney too and went there after Andrew got home from the office. I actually found one on clearance that Jackson liked and I was able to return the one form Amazon with free shipping when it arrived.  And I contacted Lands End, where I got Jackson’s original coat, and they said I could get credit for the coat if I returned it since they have a guarantee on their items. That night I ended up ordering Pizza Hut for dinner.  Andrew is not a fan of it but the kids love it. But he was staying late at the office so we did it and the kids ate all of it. The twins kept wanting more and more (it has to be the thin crust though). 

I paid Molly to come over Thursday and watched the twins while I worked some more on the house. Part of the reason it was taking so long was because of how much I was doing and the other part was because I am still a mom with kids and other obligations to take care of. So she kept the kids entertained while I worked.  And Lincoln helped out too by making the twins and himself some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.


I worked on our closet and it took me all morning and little after lunch to get it finished. Then I was able to clean out the twins and Lincoln’s dressers before nap time. Molly left when the twins went down for a nap and I thought I would get back upstairs to work on the other dressers but I got caught up working on some other stuff-bills, shopping list, laundry and some stuff for the marriage conference. Before I knew it, it was time to get dinner ready since we had to eat a little early because Jackson had basketball practice at 6. The kids and I ate while Andrew showed up just as I finished up cleaning and he ate dinner while I took Jackson to practice and did some quick grocery shopping. Jackson seemed to enjoy getting back into basketball. Another mom approached me about Jackson being on a traveling team. I told her that could be a possibility but I would have to take to Andrew before we could commit because his schedule makes it hard for us to do much on the weekends. They never got back with us J.  Jackson helped me bring the groceries when we got home and then Andrew helped me bring in some big shelves I had bought at Home Depot a while back. He wasn’t supposed to be lifting much for a while and it was still probably too soon for him. But we got them down to the basement where I could then put them all together. Then later that night, before the kids headed off to bed, they decided to be secret agents. Or at least that is what they called themselves.


 Molly came over Friday too to watch the twins and Lincoln. I worked on the kids rooms that day. That night we ate dinner at my parents and Ellie stayed for a sleepover.  I worked on the playroom a bit after we got home that night. Andrew took the rest of the kids out to the ranch the next morning. I should have done some heavy cleaning but gave myself a little break and did a longer run, enjoyed a shower and worked on some picture labels for the playroom.  Then I got busy finishing up the kids rooms and some more in the playroom.  Ellie got to help Molly move back into her apartment since her break was over. Then Molly dropped her off at the house. We had a lazy dinner-some of the kids had popcorn and Ellie managed to dump Jackson’s all over the floor with a fine dusting of nasty nacho cheese powder. She assured me she would get it all cleaned up though. Her cleaning started with her and Miles eating some of the popcorn but I had to clear everyone out or else we would have ended up with nacho cheese powder everywhere.


I had another Bunco night that night so I made some chocolate frosted peanut butter bars to take over. It was casual night so I just went in what I had been cleaning in all day. Sometimes it is nice to get all fixed up but I was glad to just go as is for that night. Sharon beat us all by wearing some Sock Monkey onsie pajamas. It was funny to watch her walk in in her onsie and carrying a six pack of beer. It was a fun night though and everyone was asleep when I got home.  I had about half a pan of the peanut butter bars left so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and go ahead and cut them up and freeze them to use for small group snack later that week.

Sunday was church, the store and more cleaning. Andrew spent some time at the office and the kids tried to eek out any sledding/snowboarding they could with the little bit of snow we had left. We actually got some ice and snow Sunday night and they ended up canceling school for Monday. Needless to say, the kids were excited. So they spent some more time outside. Andrew had a busy week ahead of him but ended up bringing some work home and we watched a movie on Amazon called The Trip to Italy that followed two comedians through six towns in Italy as they ate at different restaurants. It was kind of boring but neat to see some of the scenery. Andrew is already wanting to plan our next trip.  Jackson and Ellie both had ball practices that night but they were both canceled. So that night we all ended up in our bed watching a Jim Gaffigan special that was very funny.



Things kicked into high gear the next day and the week flew by very quickly. things kicked into high gear the next day and the week went by in a blur. I spent all week finishing up the purging and cleaning. I finally got around to working on the basement and storage. I had taken Ellie’s doll house out of her closet and was going to put it in storage. I left it in the family room for a few days and the twins had a blast playing with it. They would play with the dolls and accessories and would fly their planes and helicopters into it. They were also infatuated with the little toilet and would take it to each other and ask if they needed to go pee. They also liked an old high chair Ellie had but it had to be hidden away because they would fall over in it.



Ellie had dance and gymnastics on Tuesday. I got to watch her gymnastics routine and take a video of it so she could practice at home if she wants to do competition. She can’t decide whether she wants to do it or not. I think she really does but then gets terribly nervous about it. Her routine is really cute though. Andrew did haircuts Tuesday night too. There was a lot of hair and even though he swept it up we still find pieces of hair everywhere. I had to clean the bathrooms the next morning anyways so I was able to get most of it.


Wednesday we started back to small group again so I spent the day getting ready for that and planning for our discussion on the marriage conference. We had just received the planning manual the night before so there was a lot to go over. And I almost forgot that I had scheduled a call to answer some questions for the twins’ study that afternoon too.  We ended up having a great small group that night and having a productive discussion regarding the marriage conference.  We were able to delegate different positions and do some more planning. It also produced some more follow-up questions that I sent out in emails to several different people that night. We didn’t have sitters that night since Truman was just getting back from break but the kids did pretty well on their own. We didn’t have as many kids and I turned on a movie for them.

I started getting things ready for our little Iowa ski trip on Thursday. Since the kids had a three day weekend we decided to head up to Des Moines and go skiing at a little place near there.  I also started rearranging things in our storage area and building the new shelves. I got three new sets and they came together pretty easily. Lincoln spent some time playing with his Legos while I was working and he was so proud to show me what he had made. He also helped me put together one of the shelves.


Jackson and Ellie had their first Little K of the semester that afternoon. I got dinner going early while Andrew picked them up and then we all ate quickly and got ready for some basketball that night. Ellie had a makeup practice at the Y that night while Jackson had his first game at the same time at the Middle School gym. Leah needed us to take Zach so we picked him up, dropped he and Jackson off at the gym and then took Ellie to practice. I took Ellie in so I could introduce her to her coach and get the game schedule. Then it was back to the gym to watch Jackson. My parents came to and I felt bad because they actually just practiced for the first half hour and then played for the last half hour. I also thought they would have the bleachers out, but they didn't  and they had to stand the whole time. Ellie’s practice ended up being just a half hour but my dad offered to go pick her up. He knew both of her coaches and wanted to see her play a bit. She had a lot of fun and is looking forward to her first game. Jackson did well with his first game and I enjoy watching him play. When it was time to leave we almost forgot about taking Zach home but luckily we remembered.  Ellie and Lincoln ended up going home with my parents for a bit and I would pick them up when I came by later to get swimsuits. So we all headed home and then I left again to do some quick grocery shopping. Andrew was also wanting to watch Star Wars with the kids so I called Hastings on the way and they said they had it. So I made a quick pit stop by there to pick up a couple of those movies. It was fun to find out that we still had a credit there and was able to get two movies for $1. Then I headed to my parents to pick up the kids, some swim suits and a puddle jumper. Once we got home, Andrew helped me put away the groceries so that I would start the  movie for him J. We let the kids stay up late and watch the first Star Wars since we would be gone over the weekend. While they watched the movie I worked down in the storage area and was able to finish up the rearranging and built the last shelf. I put some stuff in new boxes and  got everything where I wanted it and the last thing to do was to go through the older boxes and throw out what I didn’t need.  The movie finished up a little after I went to bed and Lincoln decided to join me. He was hoping I wouldn’t kick him out of my “comfy cozy” bed because mine was the “coziest”.

The kids were very excited the next morning and were hoping I would pull them out of school early to head up to Des Moines. I just made sure they had everything they wanted to bring in the car since we were heading to my parents right after school.  I got us all packed up that morning. I sent a text to my mom apologizing for the amount of stuff we were bringing. I also wondered how they packed for all of us to go to Colorado with all the snow pants, books, gloves, hats, layers, etc., etc. But I was a tad mistaken in thinking we were going skiing both Saturday and Sunday so I had packed extra clothes for that when we were just going for one day. While the twins napped I did some more stuff in the basement and finished up laundry until it was time to pick up Jackson and Ellie from school.  Andrew came home, we loaded up the twins and Lincoln and went to pick them up. Then Andrew dropped us off at my parents’ house. The twins were pretty sad that we were leaving them but I knew they would have fun with their dad. My dad still wasn’t back from the office yet so I packed up the car for him. I thought I did a good job but wasn’t sure what he would think of it-I think I passed J.

Lola was waiting for us at the door when we got to their house that evening.  Zane and Owen were out picking up some Chick-Fil-A when we got there. Then Andy, Briley and Baylor showed up soon after we did. It took a while to get the kids settled down but we all eventually went to bed. The ski place didn’t open until 10 on Saturday so we didn’t have to get up too early. It was pretty busy when we got there later that morning.  We got our lift tickets first and then it was time for the fun part-getting everyone’s boots and skis/snowboard. We had tried to get private lessons for the younger boys but it just wasn’t going to work out. They did offer free lessons on the hour so we opted for those. They wanted an adult with kids younger than seven so Andy and I joined in with Baylor and Lincoln. They tried to get Owen and Lola in there too but they weren’t having it so my parents took them to the lodge. We had to wait around for a bit but the lessons eventually started. They had quite a large group but I feel like the kids did learn a little bit. Jackson couldn’t find anyone for the free snowboard lessons so Zane asked one of the instructors at the top of the hill if they could help him out. Zane said several tried to avoid it and finally one guy offered to do it. Since Jackson was the only one, he essentially got a free private lesson for a bit. It took just a bit but then he started picking up on it. Lincoln wasn’t a huge fan. It seemed like the hardest part for us was getting on the tow rope to get up the hill. He stuck with it for a while but then was getting hungry so we headed inside to grab some lunch and take a little break. My parents ended up taking Owen and Lola home. Zane and Andy skied with Ellie and Briley on a little steeper run for a little bit while Jackson worked some more on the bunny hill. I joined Ellie and then Jackson joined us and we did a few runs together. I was impressed with how well they were doing and how determined they were with it. This little “resort” was a great place for them to start. Although the snow was melting a bit with the warmer temps so it was pretty slushy. Then the clouds came and the wind picked up, but they hardly complained at all. I went back in to get Lincoln and give it another try. He did better going down the hill but we still had trouble getting up. Jackson came over and did a great job encouraging Lincoln. We stuck with it for a bit and then he wanted to head back in. So I sat with him in the lodge along with Molly, Kaitlin and Zane. Andy brought Baylor in too and he fell asleep. Ellie and Jackson came in for a bit but they quickly headed back out. Then Andy and Zane made it back out too and they went down a little harder run. I got my camera out and got a few pictures of them. They were going fast and loving it. Lincoln was really wanting to do the tubing so once they were all done skiing we got our passes for tubing. The only problem was that the lines were pretty long. So by the time we got down once, we were ready to go home. It was dark and starting to rain/sleet. Ellie didn’t want to give it up though and went up by herself one more time. She later decided maybe she just wanted to go home but she did it. But overall it was a great day and they are really wanting to do it again.





















They all slept on the way back to Des Moines. We loaded up all of our stuff at Kaitlin and Zane’s and headed to Stoney Creek Inn for our last night. We ordered Texas Roadhouse for dinner and my dad picked it up for us while the kids went swimming. They had one of the pools where you can also swimm outside so they had fun with that. But we were done by 8:45, all tired and heading back to the rooms. 

The kids showered and got ready for bed but then decided they wanted something from the vending machine. I remember as a child wanting a snack from the vending machine so I was the fun mom and let them get something. So they took off with four dollars in search of a vending machine. After a while Ellie and Lincoln returned saying it wasn’t working. I had gotten ready for bed by this point so I had to change out of my pjs and we headed out to find Jackson and machine that worked. We were successful with both and finally got settled in for bed and all slept well. They didn’t want to get up the next morning until Ellie learned that Briley was already at the pool. So we all got ready, ate some breakfast and then Ellie and Lincoln went swimming while Jackson just hung out at the pool. Kaitlin and Zane came by so we could tell them all goodbye and then we headed out. We actually made a stop at Target first before we headed back to Kirksville.

Andrew was having all sorts of fun with the twins. He actually took them to the office for a bit on Saturday and then spent the rest of the day at home. Then they went to the ranch on Sunday. They always love seeing the cows. Andrew figured out how to use his GoPro camera and sent me a couple videos that morning. One was just driving through the pasture and the other was of one of the twins on their four wheeler at home with Andrew roping him-only with Andrew! He had decided to try and film a day in the life of the twins and ended up with around 58 short clips. He doesn’t think it was really what he was going for and wants to try it again. Andrew also finished up the baseboard in the ½ bath from when he put down the tile last year. It was just one of those things that never got done. He had to repaint the trim because he had one new piece he had to put in and the new paint didn’t exactly match the old, so he just repainted all of it and put nailed the piece up behind the toilet.  And I have to say that he did a pretty good job with the house while I was gone. There were little messes here and there but he had started the dishwasher and picked up a bit so that was great.


The twins were down for a nap when we got home so I got busy unpacking. And once I got done with that it was time to start laundry and pick up the house a bit. The kids headed outside to play since it was actually a little warmer. Andrew took them out back to play basketball for a bit until their friends showed up. Then he went to the office for a couple hours. Lissy was in town for some shoots so she stopped by for a little while and even got the privilege of waking the twins up from their nap. They were nice to her because she gave them Starbursts. She ended up taking Ellie and Lincoln with her to my parents because we were going there to eat dinner soon. Since Lissy was in town they made a breakfast dinner which made my kids happy. Miles and Bennett love pancakes now and ate them up. Andrew took the twins and Jackson home soon afterwards and watched the second Star Wars movie. Ellie, Lincoln and I headed home a little after and made a pit stop to wash the car. I think we were all pretty tired from the weekend and looking forward to going to bed that night.

No comments: