Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Meet Me in St. Louis

After all the rain and wind on Sunday, we ended up having a pretty nice Monday.  As I was going through the blog again, I realized I missed a few things I wanted to document that we did the week before.  First was the Friday before Easter, the kids were all out playing and I was over talking to Tiffany about setting up for the garage sale.  I kept looking at the twins' room window to see if I saw the blinds moving because I knew that they should be getting up soon.  I didn't see anything, so I assumed I was good.  Until I went inside to get them up and ready to go to my parents.  I walked into the house to see Miles coming around the corner with a box of Nilla wafers.  He then went back into his room and proceeded to share them with Bennett who was still in his crib.  So somehow he got the door to his room open and then one of the kids must have left the pantry door open, so he just got himself a snack.  They are constantly keeping me on my toes and I have to admit it wears me down sometimes.  Just when you think you have it under control you realize you are far from it.  Just some examples, I had the bar stools laying down so they couldn't get into stuff while I was working on garage sale stuff in the basement.  I came upstairs to yet another stool broken from someone standing on the back.  I guess it is a good thing I had to order a pair after the last one broke, because I put the second of the pair together on Monday.  Hopefully we don't break another one.  Then the other day I quickly put away a load of laundry in our room-it took maybe two minutes because it was just one small load of Andrew and I's clothes.  I came out to find multiple toys, puzzle pieces, etc all over the floor and then both of the twins were on the kitchen counter and there was milk spilled on the counter and the floor.  Two minutes and the managed to get the toys and puzzle out of the cabinet in the laundry room and dump them and then climb up on the counters and dump stuff up there.  I still love them like crazy though and they make me smile many, many times a day. 

The other thing I forgot to mention last week was that I finally signed Lincoln up for tee ball.  We weren't going to do it this year but decided to just go for it.  Lincoln was so excited when I mentioned it to him and was just giddy when we went to sign him up.  He immediately wanted to start practicing when he got home.  And then I ordered him some athletic shorts (Children's Place had 40% off and free shipping plus I had a $15 rewards certificate so I got them for less than $3-love that) since he didn't really have any and he was super excited when they showed up.  He has them in a special place in his dresser just waiting for his first game :-).  And since Ellie isn't playing this summer, I took the pink "Farwell" off of her helmet and made a new name out of silver vinyl so Lincoln can use it.  Miles decided it to try it out.  And he found a new way to play with Bucky-it rolls so of course you should be able to ride it :-).


Monday night we had a K-Life board meeting so the kids got to hang out at my parents.  Since we don't get over there as often as we used to, they love when the get the chance to go.  The rest of the week was pretty low-key but Wednesday and Thursday were dreary.  Tiffany did send out these pictures of the kids playing Tuesday night.  Lincoln had already come in by that point though.  They are a fun group!


We got out to run a few errands but that was about it.  And Jackson and Ellie still randomly go out to run or bike around the block as part of their triathlon "training".  And Andrew gets them all doing push ups :-).

Wednesday was the last night for our sitters for small group from Truman so we all made cookies and bagged them up as thank yous for them.  I would have been excited to get those goodie bags-they looked yummy.  Then Jackson and Ellie had their last Little K of the school year.  They loved it this year and are looking forward to more of it next year.  K-Life and Kanakuk are going to try to strengthen their relationship so K-Life will have the same theme next school year that Kanakuk has this summer. 

The kids got out of school early on Friday and got to enjoy playing outside some more.  I worked on getting things ready to go to St. Louis and trying to make sure everything was ready for our Mother's Day dinner we were doing when I got back on Sunday.  Since we will be traveling back from Louisville on Mother's Day I thought I would do something for our moms the Sunday before.  My parents showed up right as we were eating dinner and they took Ellie and Lincoln with them to St. Louis while Jackson, the twins, and I were going to head out the next morning.  We also had the Vincent boys Friday night while the rest of them went to Kate's dance recital.  Of course we started out with an injury.  Alex was pushing a tractor through the house and it slipped out from under him and he bit his tongue.  Joe actually showed up about that time as he was making sure both boys were here before he headed out.  He was all better after a little bit. Then Andrew took them and Jackson outside to play ball while I finished cleaning up dinner.  Then I needed to head to the store to get the stuff for dinner on Sunday since I decided last minute to do it.  So again, Andrew kept them all entertained and bathed the twins while I was gone.  The recital ended up going later than they thought it would, so Andrew went to bed while I took the late shift :-).  I think Joe and Leah showed up a little after 10 not believing the recital could run so late, but they definitely do.  I know some of ours have gone on about that long. 

The next morning Andrew headed out before five to go turkey hunting.  I made sure the house was all clean, did a load of laundry, made the cake for part of my dessert for dinner, and set out stuff to prep dinner. Andrew said he didn't spend much time around home because he didn't want to mess anything up :-).  So I think he spent most of the weekend turkey hunting in the mornings and working at the office in the afternoon/evenings.  He also mowed, which Lincoln was sad to miss out on.

While Andrew was having some quiet time (I have to admit I was a tad bit jealous :-)) the rest of us got to go to St. Louis to celebrate Bella and Brady's birthday.  Their birthdays are the same date, just two years apart.  Sara and Lissy put together a really cute Peter Pan party.  Sara has always loved Peter Pan, so it was the perfect party for her to throw.  She had such fun touches everywhere from the decorations to the "stations" for the kids to play at.  They had so much fun.  Miles and Bennett got a little crazy with the bubbles and Bennett, especially, was covered in bubble solution that he had to get a bath because it was all over his face and in his eyes.  That evening I volunteered Lissy to take me shopping.  I had just a few stores I wanted to go to.  With Lissy's convincing I actually bought a couple shirts for me.  I think I just don't like shopping for myself because I am usually always rushed and I have no idea what to even look at, let alone purchase.  And I hate spending the money.  The kids played until we finally sent them to bed.  Bennett actually fell asleep on my dad, which never happens.  So he went to bed pretty well.  Miles did not and I had to keep getting onto him to lay down (they were both in Bella's room with me).  They both kept waking up during the night-I think they were slightly annoyed with the pack-n-plays because they are getting too big for them.  So I eventually pulled them both into bed with me and they slept very well after that.  I did not :-). 














The next morning we headed home.  Ellie and Lincoln both rode with my parents again, but Jackson got the privilege of riding with the twins and I.  I was thankful he was there to get their pacifiers, blankets, etc. when they threw them down.  There was no slowing down when we got home.  It was a beautiful day, so the kids immediately headed out to play with their friends.  I got unpacked, started laundry, and got to work getting everything ready for the dinner that night.  My parents, Andrew's parents, and Matthew and Kristin's family all came over that evening and we enjoyed dinner together.  I also gave my mom and Mary their Mother's Day gifts which were the personalized melamine platters.  It actually ended up being a pretty calm evening :-). 

Jackson and Ellie headed back to school on Monday but Lincoln got to spend the day helping "build" his closets.  Andy and Jeff got here first thing Monday morning to start on them and Lincoln was so excited.  He really did spend most of the day up there with them and they were so good with him.  They discovered the easiest way to do things was to cut them out front and then they just set up a ladder to the windows in Lincoln's room and sent the cut pieces through the window.  So Lincoln would help bring the pieces in and get different things for Jeff while he nailed everything in.  At one point Alex came over to ask him to come over to his house because he had a surprise for him.  After begging Lincoln and even telling him what the surprise was, a lizard, Lincoln still didn't want to leave.  So lucky us, Alex brought the lizard to our house.  I told him to make sure he didn't let go of it and he made it back to his house.  Then later in the afternoon, Jeff told me I should bring my camera up.  Lincoln had fallen asleep.  Jeff said he hit his head on a jack they had up there and that he tried really hard to not cry.  Jeff had him lay down on his bed a bit and even rubbed his head for him and he fell asleep. 

That evening we had an early dinner and then I took Jackson to swim practice and rushed around trying to get my flowers for my pots and the office along with a couple shrubs I needed.  And hour just wasn't enough time so I made Jackson go with me to Westlakes after I picked him up to get a couple grasses.  So I hope to get those planted today.  And they are back hoping to finish up the closets.  Lincoln was sad he had to go to school because he hated to miss his new "job".  I am excited to see how they look when they are all done.

No comments: