Last Wednesday I finally convinced myself to start swimming in preparation for my little triathlon. Of course things were a little harder than I remember and I'm definitely not in the shape I was back in my swimming days. I know that it will take a little while but things were already feeling better by the second time I went. Lincoln got to spend part of the afternoon with Alex at his grandparents' house. Leah is taking a realtor class in St. Louis and her mom has been watching Alex during the day. I guess Alex missed playing with Lincoln and wanted to spend the afternoon with him. We actually aren't having small group for three weeks because our church is having a membership class for two weeks and then we are off for Thanksgiving. Since Andrew and I have already taken the membership class, that means we have three weeks off. So this past Wednesday, I thought it would be a good time to take the kids shopping for Operation Christmas Child. Jackson and Ellie both had Book It coupons, so I took the three oldest to Pizza Hut for dinner and then to Wal-Mart to do our shopping. I decided to also try to get in my regular grocery shopping instead of taking the twins the next morning, so we also hit up Aldi. We actually timed ourselves to see how quickly we could get in and out and it took us just under 10 minutes. We had a slower lady in line in front of us or we could have been even quicker. Wal-Mart was definitely not as fast. We had to pick out items for three boxes along with me getting stuff for us, for the K-Life meal I had coming up at the end of the week, and looking at stuff or Ellie's party. From dinner until we got home, it took us around three hours. Even though the kids weren't always on their best behaviors we still had a good time and they were excited to do their boxes.
Thursday the kids had Little K and then we ate dinner at my parents. Lissy was in town and she was able to pick up a decoration for me for Ellie's party. We decided to play Pin the Bow on Eloise at the party and Lissy was able to pick up an engineering print of Eloise for me that will be perfect for it. And I'm pretty much finished getting stuff ready for Ellie's party. I was getting a little anxious about everything we have coming up and I feel like I am going to drop the ball somewhere. In just a month we have to do the K-Life leaders dinner for around 45 people, two birthday parties for Ellie, a baptism brunch (Jackson is being baptized next Sunday!), the twins birthday party, plus help out with things like our small group dinner and Christmas project, figure out teacher gifts, work on Christmas in general, etc. So I do try to take time to just hang out with the kids and enjoy. I tried to get some pictures of Miles and Bennett just playing. They love playing with typical boy things-cars, trucks, tractors, trains. But they also enjoyed playing with a pair of play sunglasses with the lenses out. They actually really liked them and both wanted to try them on. They look pretty cute with the bow accent.
I also almost forgot to include this picture of a drawing Ellie made. I noticed it the other day when I was up in her room. It says. "The first picher whith my new crayons." I thought it was sweet :-).
Friday I decided to trim back the rose bushes and bring in the patio furniture. Lincoln was determined to be my "big helper". He likes when I call him that. So he helped get the trash bags to bag up the trimmed pieces. Then he brought in the pillows and put them in the basement while I brought in all of the furniture. That night we had pancakes for dinner and I realized I am soon going to have to make a triple batch because we now blow through a double batch. That night, Lissy came over to surprise Ellie and take her over to my parents for a sleepover. Ellie had been asking all day if she could. Lincoln really wanted to go too. Jackson kind of wanted to go, but he was going hunting the next morning with Andrew so he got to hang out with us that night. We all ended up doing the same thing though- making some hot chocolate and watching Elf. Before we watched the movie though, Jackson finished up his Cherokee outfit by making his ribbon shirt. I just set up the hot glue gun for him and he came up with the design and put it all together himself. He presented his report and wore his clothes this Monday, so I am anxious to see how it went. He thought it went well.
And doesn't everyone like watching Elf while sitting on a tractor?
Sunday morning the kids slept in a bit and we went to the second service at church. Then after that it was all cooking for me. Andrew got the kids lunch and then he and the older three went hunting. I put the twins down and just kept working. It was our night to feed the K-Life volunteers and I decied I would just try doing it all at once instead of preparing much ahead of time. I did make one dessert on Saturday, but the rest of it was Sunday afternoon-three batches of one pasta dish, two batches of another, roasted potatoes and carrots, salad, bread, and pumpkin bars. I really don't feel like I ever stopped and I really thought I was going to be on time. Andrew helped clean up some dishes for me and while I finished up and get things ready to go. We got there a little after six and they were all waiting for us, even looking out the windows. I guess they were hungry. They helped us unload and we quickly got everything set up. And then they ate and ate. Andrew jumped in at the end and grabbed a bit for him and some of the kids. I thought I would grab some too until more started coming back and then everything but a couple spoonfuls of pasta were gone-everything. I just hope no one else left hungry :-).
Monday was back to school. That morning, the twins, Lincoln and ran some errands. We went by the bank and the accountants and then we headed to a local church to drop off our shoe boxes. I thought it would just be a quick trip in and out but the lady collecting the boxes had me fill out some paper work and then she gave the kids little books and stickers which they were proud of. The are also liking the little bit of independence I have given them to walk into places instead of me holding them. I know that will backfire on me sometimes though as they run in different directions. That night we had to eat a quick dinner and then drop the kids off at my parents so we could get to the K-Life board meeting. My dad was able to take Jackson to swim practice for us and we got done just in time to pick up a prescription for the twins (pink eye) and get Jackson from swim practice. Last night, around midnight, one of the twins was kept crying. So I went to check on them and Miles was curled up in his bed crying without his sleeper on. He had taken it off and thrown it over his crib. And his diaper was soaked-they get tea at my parents :-). So I changed his diaper and got him dressed and back to bed. Bennett woke up a bit so I decided to go ahead and change his diaper too. He was very sleepy though. This morning I had a hair appointment. On our way to my parents house, we stopped by the YMCA and signed Jackson and Ellie up for basketball. This will be Ellie's first year so it should be interesting. I am tempted to try to get her out back and practice if it isn't too cold. But after I finished with my hair appointment, I called Andrew to let him know that I was picking up the twins and heading home. He was already at home with Lincoln and he said I need to put on my rain galoshes. I guess our washer somehow leaked and flooded our laundry room and seeped down into the basement. He had it all cleaned up by the time I got home (THANK YOU). We pulled the washer out and I have run several loads today and haven't had any problems. He did have to move some stuff in the basement. It leaked into our storage area and most of the stuff it got on was in plastic boxes. I did have a table set up with all of Ellie's decorations for her party and thankfully most of it was out of the way. Just a couple table runners got wet. So now we are finishing up homework. Andrew is at a land sale for work so he doesn't get to hang out with us tonight. But Molly does. She is coming over to watch the boys while I take Ellie to gymnastics.











No comments:
Post a Comment