Monday, July 22, 2013

Trying to Catch Up

I have gotten a little behind here so I plan on making this an abbreviated version because I have many other things/people calling my name.  We have had some hot weather and I got to enjoy it by having a cold the week before last.  Colds and summer just don't go together.  So that tried to knock me out for a few days but there isn't any time for naps with all the kids running around.  So I just plowed through and got stuff done including work for the office, Lincoln's birthday party decorations, cleaning, and all the other fun stuff around the house.  The kids are still enjoying their summer even though it was so hot.  We had several late nights of playing outside that week that included playing with walkie talkies and performing dance routines.  During the day we brought out our pvc sprinkler that Andrew made and the LaBeths brought out their big slide.  The kids had all sorts of fun.
The kids also tried to take care of me while I wasn't feeling well at least one day.  Jackson was great about offering to help out around the house and with the twins.  And Andrew took all of them out to the ranch one night with the promise that I would rest.  Which I did after a watered the flowers, cleaned out the garage, finished the centerpieces and cupcake toppers for Lincoln's birthday, and cleaned the windows.  It was so nice to get all of that done without interruption and to get to rest a bit.  But then Miles and Bennett came down with a little something too-poor guys.  But everyone else was in the clear.  It was a good thing Lincoln didn't get it because he was too busy being Batman.  He had several days when he wore his outfit everywhere.
The kids have also spent some time at the pool during the last couple of weeks which also meant some bonding time with their cousins from Texas.  Miles and Bennett have enjoyed the chance to get in the pool a little more and the mainly just play around on the steps.  Andrew spent some time working on swimming with Jackson to prepare for his home meet he had coming up.  They worked mainly on his freestyle and we also worked on his starts.




My dad took Lincoln to Sydenstricker to look at the tractors-this is the one he wanted for his bday
 
The older kids also to got to watch a couple movies over the last couple of weeks.  We saw Monsters University at the theater and went to the Moberly Drive In to watch Despicable Me 2.  They were both great movies and the kids loved them.  The drive in was a first for both me and my kids.  We picked up some snacks earlier in the day and also picked up some AJ's for dinner on our way down.  So we had our dinner, snacks, drinks, blankets, chairs, etc and then the movie started and we realized we didn't have sound.  After some research, we were able to figure out what to do with our cars to keep the lights off and run the radio.  It was a late night and we didn't get home until close to midnight.




Last week we also helped out again with the Food 4 Kids which is a program that serves lunches to kids at the parks during the summer.  Our small group helped for a week at Memorial Park and the kids and I worked it a couple of days along with Carson.  They helped me pick up the food and stuff at the school and unload it at the park.  Then they mainly got to play on the playground since our park wasn't too busy. 

This past Thursday night we had our new pastor, Graeme, and his wife, Wendy, over for dinner.  They don't have any kids so I was worried our five would overwhelm them a bit but it all turned out pretty well.  The kids were great about talking and interacting with them and it was nice to get to know them better.  We also got to spend time with other visitors.  My Aunt Kelley and her kids were in town with a couple of their friends.  They came over to my parents to swim on Thursday.  Colin and Makenzey are always so kid with Jackson and Ellie.  Even though they don't get to see them that often, they always enjoy it when they get the chance.  On Friday, my old neighborhood friend, Missy, and her girls came to swim.  They had Lissy take their pictures that morning and then came back that afternoon for some swimming.  I am sad I didn't get to meet her youngest, but the other girls all had a blast playing together and it was great to catch up with Missy.  This is the only picture I got of them-doing handstands together.
Then Friday night, Kathy and Randy Powell, and their grandkids came over for dinner and to swim.  After all that fun swimming with friends, I think my kids were exhausted.  But then we had a kind of early morning on Saturday because Jackson had his swim meet.  He had to be there at 8 to warm up, so Andrew dropped him off and then the rest of the kids and I came over a little later.  Jackson swam two relays and the 25m of breast, fly, and free.  He did such an awesome job and we were very proud of him.  He didn't do two-handed touches for his breast and free so I don't know if he will be disqualified for those-we don't have any final results.  Either way, it was so much of an improvement over last time and we were excited for him (I wanted to get in there and race too :-)).  I also forgot to mention that we finally got him some jammers.  I tried several months ago and he didn't like them.  This time he loved them and swears they make him so much faster.  He has started wearing them all the time at my parents too.


He is on the far left

On the left again-probably could have won this race but he kept looking to the side


The meet got done around 11:30 and then Jackson and Ellie left with my parents to head to St. Louis for a Cardinals game.  Even though they lost, I think they all had a lot of fun.  The next day they got to go to the Museum of Transportation before they headed home.


Andrew took the others out to the ranch after dinner on Saturday while I ran some errands.  We are hoping to get started on turning the bonus room into a bedroom for the three youngest so I was getting some stuff for that along with groceries.  Then it was a busy day the next day.  Andrew went for a 25 mile bike ride with our neighbor, Jeff, and Graeme.  Then we went to the early church service.  Later that afternoon we had to go to a membership class at church, so I laid the twins down for a bit before lunch since we would be at the class during naptime.  They did actually sleep a bit but still got tired later that afternoon.  The class went from 1-4 and they had sitters there for the kids.  I think the twins got a little cranky at the end though.  So we laid them down for a bit when we got home before we had to head across the street to the LaBeth's for Tisha and Jeff's going away party.  They were kind of cranky when I got them up though.  Bennett didn't want anyone but me for probably the first 45 minutes.  But they perked up a bit when they got some dinner.  Except for Bennett poking Miles in the face with his fork.  But he quickly gave him a hug-what are going to do with them.  It was a really nice party and Jackson and Ellie made it for the end of it which included a major dance party in the basement with the other kids. 
Lincoln's dinner-Cheetos
So now I have to quit neglecting the kids and get them some lunch and attempt to get some more stuff off of my to-do list done.

No comments: