So this post is going to be pretty different than my
regular ones, so please bear with me and please continue reading. This is a post I have been putting off for
awhile. I actually started writing it in
May and kept feeling convicted to finish it and put it out there. Andrew and I also discussed it quite a bit
and he wanted to help me write it. I
thought what he had to say was great. So
instead of just mixing it in with mine, I am just adding it to my post-two posts
in one J.
I am a Christian.
I am not afraid to admit it and that is not a big deal. But I have been challenged lately to be
bold. We get so excited about other
things and love to talk to other people about them. But as far as Christianity is concerned, I
usually just keep conversations about it on the surface so as not to offend
anyone or make anyone uncomfortable.
Well, maybe we as Christians need to challenge each other and others a
little more and feel uncomfortable more often.
So onto my point of this post… Before our small group took a break for
summer this past year we read and discussed a book called Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman.
It was a great book to read but also hard because it challenges us as
Christians. The main question of the
book is –are you just a fan of Jesus or a true follower? Many of us are familiar with (and many times
cling to) the verse John 3:16, “For God
so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, so that whosoever
believes in him shall not perish but
have eternal life.” Okay, so we just
have to believe in God and we are all good, heaven-bound. But the book also stresses that there is
another verse that we often forget about…”If
anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily
and follow me.” (Luke 9:23). So it
is more than just believing in God (“You
believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and
shudder.” James 2:19) but you have to make the decision to follow him. You
have to make that decision to make him your Savior (he died on the cross to
save us) and your Lord (we are his servants).
I think one of the parts of the book that hit me (and
most of our group) the hardest was a section that talked about having a “false
assurance of salvation”. Look at this
passage from Matthew 7, “Not everyone who
says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one
who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to
me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name
drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I
will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ We have always been told that once we
accept Christ, we are assured our salvation and that is very true. But when we made that decision, did we really
mean it or were we just caught up in the moment; or did we do it because we
knew it was the right thing to do; or did we do it because we wanted to make
sure we did have eternal life when we died?
If we were really making that decision to follow Christ we must do as
Jesus said in Luke, “deny himself and
take up his cross daily”.
Therefore, our decision would be reflected in our everyday life and how
we chose to live it. And not just doing
things for show, but doing them because we know that is what God wants from us
and we want to please him and help further his kingdom. I fail at this constantly, but I don’t want
to give up. I long for that relationship
with him and I long for others to have it too.
When I die and go to heaven, I don’t want to hear, “I never knew
you. Away from me.” I want to hear, “Well done thou good and
faithful servant.”
The beginning of the book talked about Defining The
Relationship. It gave the example of
what if you were sitting in a coffee shop, and Jesus walked in, sat down at
your table and asked you to define your relationship with Him. He is all-knowing, so there is no hiding
anything from him, no excuses. I know my
relationship with him gets put on the back burner a lot. Many who know me, know about my to-do
lists. I have a master to-do list on my
computer and then I write down a daily to-do list every night for the next
day. I feel accomplished when I get
everything marked off my list, but the one thing that can be left on there many
days is taking the time to spend time with God through reading/studying my
bible and devoted prayer. Through all
of our discussions that we have had with our small group over the last few
years, it has been evident that those are the things that provide us with the
foundation in our relationship with God.
They will help provide us with the answers to our questions, help us
through crisis, guide us in where God wants us to go, what he wants us to
do. They are the things that will help
us build that personal, intimate relationship with God that he desires. And I come up with many excuses and my main
one now is my family. Even though I want
to do what is right, I sometimes think that I will be better at it once all the
kids are in school and I have a little more time. But God doesn’t want our excuses. He wants us and he wants us now.
I encourage everyone to read the book-we have some copies
if you want to borrow it. And even if
you decide you don’t want to read the book, I encourage you to do a review of
where you stand on your relationship with God.
Maybe you want it to be better but you don’t know where to start or you
don’t want to put forth the effort-start in prayer and study of His word. Start by getting involved in a church and the
things they are doing. Maybe your
relationship is just kind of there because it always has been-now is the time
to commit to developing a more personal, intimate relationship that is your
own. Maybe the relationship is
nonexistent, you’ve never pursued it-please do.
Please find a church or talk to someone (even though I feel inadequate,
I would be more than happy to talk with anyone).
Well I’m not sure if anyone will actually read this whole
thing, but I pray that it challenges you and you want to do something
about. I pray that you long to be a
follower of God and that even though it can be a rough road at times, that you
get to experience his unfailing love, his comfort, his power, and his peace.
Andrew’s Post
We have a small group of about 16 adults and way too many kids. They
come and ravage our house, make messes and the kids run wild. Anything that can
be spilled or rubbed into the carpet beyond the capabilities of household
cleaning supplies has been. We have been opening our house for 2 years, during
which we've had twins, tried to raise 3 others, enrolled the kids into, and
gone to, every pee-wee league there is, built an office, worked like dogs
etc... Wednesday comes on in a flash, meals are hurried, we try to get the kids
back from wherever they are in time, and try to come up with a lesson plan to
make the small group fruitful. We rush around to clean up the carnage and throw
the kids in bed, hopefully with a prayer. Essentially we wonder why life is
passing us by. Time is short, it is easier to do nothing or simply do what
seems fun, or try to substitute relationships here for our relationship with
Jesus. Ali and I just want to take a good long trip, or a hunting trip (Ali
really wants to hunt bighorn sheep in the Rockies - go figure), but there isn't
time, and we probably should save the money to pay taxes. Booooo! There is
little time to just relax, let alone read a book. But I did. First one in years
probably. It is called "Not a Fan" and it was the lesson plan for our
small group.
Essentially the book lets you define your relationship with God. Of
course, my original thought was "this is a good idea, I will become a
better Christian", followed by "I think I'm comfortable where I'm at,
this is a little more work and soul searching than I want right now - what are
we having for dinner?" But we had already committed to going through the
book, so we dug in. "not a fan" focuses on the "fan v.
follower" conundrum. Are we fair weather Christians who call on God when
we need him; does our daily prayer life consist only of a prayer before good
meals (I am thankful for steak, not so much for the 2 cheeseburger value meal
from McD's); do we read the Bible at church, and only when we think the
preacher is cutting into the lunch hour; when was the last time you read a book
of the Bible that God gave to you (don't answer that one, its kind of
depressing); are we a part of the crowd that has a fish on the car, but never
tell anyone why, or is the fish there only because you bought the car used and
can't get it off. On the flip side, Jesus wants us to be serious followers of
him, and says so. The book unfortunately pointed out how poor of a job I do at
following Jesus. Yes, if you know me, you all ready knew that, but the book
made me focus on it and refocus on what I am supposed to be living for. Its a
daily struggle, except on days when I take a break ;). I think it was Paul who
wrote the most confusing, and most accurate verse in the Bible that describes
the problems I, and likely you, face every day. Paraphrasing, it says that I
know what to do, and don't do it, and that which I know I shouldn't do, I do.
It is easy for me to write it off as human nature. I rationalize by comparing
myself to those who are worse than I am so that I can think "hey, at least
I'm not doing what that guy does." Unfortunately, I think it’s all or
nothing with Jesus, and I don't think he grades on a curve. I've also noticed
that I've never used Billy Graham as my benchmark. It is easier to specifically
compare myself to someone else like me who can be apathetic about his daily
relationship with Jesus, or a fallen TV evangelist if I really need to
rationalize my behavior.
We can all put on a front, and have become very good at it. In one of
the lesson plans for small group I made a note "make Ali cry". In
perusing my notes, Allison asked just what I was going to say in small group to
accomplish that feat (although, it was right after she had the twins, so there
was a considerable amount of still unexplained crying going on in our house). I
assured her she wouldn't need the kleenex box, but that I was making a point of
the difference between the front we show everyone else, and what we are really
like. I can remember saying something that I shouldn't have right before church
- fortunately I don't remember what that was, but she started crying. But then
as I try to apologize, and she gets ready, we get in the car, roll the windows
down a little to let the air dry the tears, and smile at everyone as we walk in
the doors. Great morning. However, we also attempt to do that with God. We put
the church bumper sticker on, go to church unless the day is really nice, or
turkey season is about over, or we need to catch up on some lawn work... But he
wants more for us. Jesus said that many will stand at the gates thinking they
will get in only to hear Jesus say "go away." While that is scary, it
likely means many of us. He is telling
us what he expects. He wants the personal relationship all the time, not the
last call when the bills are stacking up, or when someone is dying, or when the
stress has gotten to be unbearable and you have the "oh bleep"
moment. I'm not moving to Sri Lanka anytime soon that I know of, or selling my
truck to give money to the poor yet, but he wants us to be just such a follower
that is willing to do what he wants us to do: what he would do.
That is kind of what the book brings to light, although we'd get that
out of the Bible admittedly if we read it more. He wants us to move from living
the Burger King "have it your way" life, to evaluating your life,
your relationship with him, or lack of, and focusing on his goals. Its a good
read, intense at times, depressing, and motivating. I'm not a biblical scholar,
but it didn't seem to be contradictory to anything I've read or heard. It
simply focuses on the personal relationship with Jesus. Anyway, we wanted to
put something about it on Ali's blog so if you are interested you can get the
book. They're about $5 I think, and well worth it.
2 comments:
Okay, Allison I had to reply to this because I absolutely loved every bit of it!! I read it through... twice... and then told my husband all about it. I have found so much guidance in the 8th chapter of Romans defining my relationship with God (especially v. 14-17). I am His daughter, whom He loves. Just like a parent would do anything for their kids - He does anything for us. He only wants whats best for us. It reminds me of when the Savior Spoke in Matthew 7:9-11. He wants too and will give us the good. Just like any parent would.
I remember a song I learned when I was little..
" I am a child of God and He has sent me here. Has given me an earthly home with parents, kind and dear. Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do to live with Him someday." That thought of doing all we can and yet, we are unprofitable servants - still saved through Christ. What a merciful Savior and Father in Heaven we have watching over us. Although we can never repay Him.
And although I do not have any children and I can't even begin to understand how crazy your days are I have got great solace from Matthew 25: 35-40. In my opinion it is the scripture of Motherhood. Tending to the needs of those who cannot tend to themselves. Thank you again so much for this post and I will have to read the book! I need to be a better Christian!
I am Aubri's sister & she just suggested I read your post. It was very insightful & has truly touched me. Thank you for your words!
Post a Comment